New: Shell Rotella 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link: http://www.vehicleservicepros.com/press_...cold-conditions

Copy/paste of article:

Shell Lubricants has introduced Shell Rotella T6 0W-40, a full synthetic heavy duty diesel engine oil which is designed for extreme cold conditions. Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 uses free flowing synthetic base oils that allow reliable pumping on start-up under extreme cold climate conditions, yet remains thick enough under high temperature operation to protect against engine wear.

"Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 will provide drivers operating in extreme cold conditions with the assurance that they can count on their engine oil to provide what they need when they start a cold engine and to work efficiently in all operating conditions," said Chris Guerrero, global brand manager, Shell Rotella. "This new synthetic oil expands the portfolio of products Shell Rotella can provide to hard working truckers."

Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 meets the following specification: API CJ-4, API SN, Volvo VDS-3, Mack EO-N and Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2, ECF-1A.

All Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic oils features an advanced multi-functional, low-ash additive technology in a synthetic base oil designed to provide highly responsive protection that continuously adapts to driving conditions. Use of selected low-viscosity synthetic base oils further energizes the oil's protective capability that promotes fuel-economy performance with no compromise in durability.

Sadly, no specs listed.

It will be interesting to see if they add JASO-MA and Dexos2 to their certifications. I would be very interested in it for winter use in my Yamaha Grizzly ATV.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its SN so it will not have the ZZDP levels of T6 5w40 right?
I beleive SN xw40 can exceed zinc & phos levels. QS Defy has 1200ppm of zinc and is SN.

Last edited:
doesn't low saps imply low phosphorus? And are not zinc levels usually proportional to phosphorus levels to to the ZDDP compund?

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
It will be interesting to see if they add JASO-MA and Dexos2 to their certifications. I would be very interested in it for winter use in my Yamaha Grizzly ATV.

Was wondering the same for my Kawi Brute!

Originally Posted By: 3311
I beleive SN xw40 can exceed zinc & phos levels. QS Defy has 1200ppm of zinc and is SN.
So the Xw20 and Xw30 has a lower qualifying SN spec?

Yes, the limits on Xw-20/30 grades are stricter.

Specs seems excellent, except the TBN, hope it is low due its strong retaining ability (pure speculation)! NOACK & VI values are not given...

If a gallon can be had around 35bux, I say watch out M1 0W40!

Originally Posted By: tstep
doesn't low saps imply low phosphorus? And are not zinc levels usually proportional to phosphorus levels to to the ZDDP compund?

The PDS says it is 1.0% ash, which is pretty high to be claiming low SAPS. Other low SAPS oils I have seen have 0.6 to 0.8%. The zinc to phosphorous ratio can be different in different oils because zinc can be present in other additives. The amount of zddp is gauged by the Phosphorous content.

Originally Posted By: 3311

API specifications limit Phosphorous content for 20 and 30 weights to 800 ppm. 40-weights and above have no limits, so they can qualify as SM or SN oils.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Oooo. I'd switch over to that if Wal-Mart sold gallons.
And the same price as 5w40 T6.:)

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Specs seems excellent, except the TBN, hope it is low due its strong retaining ability (pure speculation)! NOACK & VI values are not given...

Why "watch out M1 0W40"?
M1 0W40 has a much higher TBN.
Incidentally I pay $32/gal for Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 (TBN 16, VI 172, etc etc.)

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim

M1 0w-40 has nothing to worry about from this oil. This is an hdeo,M1 is a pcmo. 2 completely different applications and although I'm not positive but this hdeo has a pile of diesel spec approvals,the M1 has a gazillion European passenger car approvals.
Completely different animals,they may be from the same planet though.

If this is the same price as T6 (fat chance!) and if the UOAs show enough ZDDP for my liking, I'll put this in my Bug, once my stash of T6 is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back