2005 1/2 jetta tdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have owned my tdi since new, got it with 7 miles on it. Its the first of the new body style. During warranty period I took it to the stealership, after I took it to the local VW specializing shop for maintainence.

I've decided I'd like to change my own oil but have no idea where to start.

What oil and what filter. What size/model filter

Last edited:
Many would recommend Shell Rotella T6 5w40, a diesel truck oil. Sold by the gallon at almost every auto parts store.

Your car requires a VW approved 505.01 spec oil. Many use it, some don't. If you just use any old oil in it you will ruin the camshaft and it will cost big bucks to repair when it fails. Do not forget that you will need the timing belt and all related componenets including the water pump replaced at the appropriate time as well. If you have not been using the correct oil up to this point then you are in for some seriously expensive repairs. I have seen those cars at shops getting their oil changed with 15W40 diesel oil. That was scary to watch because it is so wrong.
I do not remember off the top of my head which oils meet this VW spec but you can look them up online and should come up with many results to choose from. Also when you install the oil filter make sure it goes in the correct way, it is labeled "top" on the top side of the filter. Good luck!

Websites like Opieoils actually state what oils are PD compatible. I think it is be Use a lot of owners don't understand the 505, 507 stuff fully.

Not saying buy from them but a good source of information that you can then use in your search.

Most important find out exactly what engine and injection you have fitted and post it up so a board member with better knowledge of these engines can give you more accurate advice.

We have 4 TDIs in my family. They are all the same body (MKV) and engine (BRM) as you have. I recommend and run Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 oil with a Mann HU719/7X oil filter. It's highly recommended oil on TDI Club forums.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241279&highlight=bew+camshaft

also see below

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=158788

Quote:
PART TWO: "Pumpe-duse" engines.

VW requires that you must use an engine oil that explicitly states that it conforms to VW 505.01 (and in some cases oils that meet 506.01 or 507.00 but which also cover the 505.01 specification). NOTHING ELSE. Common choices are Castrol 5w40 TXT 505.01 (do NOT confuse this with the regular European-car formulation of Syntec 5w40, it is not the same), Elf Excellium VW 505.01 (has since been renamed to a Total brand), Motul 6100 VW 505.01, Motul Specific 505.01, Valvoline SynPower Synthetic European formulation 5w40 (available through UAP/NAPA), and there are others. ALL such oils prominently state VW 505.01 printed on the bottle. If it doesn't have that, it is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Explanatory note: Lately, a number of folks have been doing their research, and have been getting good oil-analysis results with a number of very carefully chosen oils that are not "officially" approved by VW. Mobil 1 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck) CJ-4 is one of them, and this one is fairly readily available. This will of course not help you if you try to make a warranty claim. If it's under warranty, see paragraph above if you want VW to even consider covering it.

The VW part number for the oil most commonly used is G-052-167-A2 = Castrol TXT 505.01 (VW 505.01 rated, suitable for PD TDI engines; also VW 505.00 rated and suitable for non-PD TDI engines).

3093TDIPD_50501_sticker.jpg

I own the same car. You are out of warranty, so forget the 505.01 requirement. From everything Ive read, just do not use a 5W-30 diesel oil, but only a 5W-40. From the TDI forums, the 30 seems to be the most likely factor in cam failures.

That said, the oils I have seen recommended by those who know and have no cam problems are as follows (ALL 5W-40)

Delvac 1 ESP
TDT
Rotella T6
Lubro/Liqui Moly
Pentosin
Motul
Valvoline Ultra Blue

I have TDT in my TDI right now. If price/availability were no issue, I would use the Delvac 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back