Kerosene to fuel a lawnmower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember about 10 years ago, my grandfather has a 5.5HP B&S self propelled lawnmower, and one time while I was bored I wanted to start it up, for something to do. Since it was out of gas, and I didn't have any spare gas around, I poured some kerosene into the fuel tank. I pressed the primer bulb, gave the cord a couple pulls, and it started right up! I don't know if there was some gas left in the cylinder or the carburator, but it wouldn't start before I put the kerosene in the tank.

I had used the lawnmower gas can for kerosene once to clean parts. Left the kerosense in there, and parent's accidently filled the mower with it. Typical 3hp briggs engine. Since I end up fixing everything, I get the call mower won't run anymore. Check it out, my kerosene in the lawnmower. It wasn't a mix either, it was 100% kerosene in the pint/quart fuel tank. I think I was more mad that they wasted my good kerosene that I use to clean parts rather than the mower having the wrong type of fuel
grin.gif

Anyway, yes an engine like that will run. I had to put my foot over the carb to choke it to get it to start however, and once running it sounded fine. But kerosene has a much lower octane rating than gasoline. When the mower tried to cut any thick high grass it would ping like crazy. You say it wouldn't run before you put kerosene in it, I can't understand why, it should be hard to start
dunno.gif
Must have been gas initially in the carb to start it, then suck kerosene and ran on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back