power service diesel 911 anti -gel = kerosene?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just used this stuff to get my oil burner working. It looks and smells like kerosene. Ive done some searching and find that kerosone will help prevent gelling. How much kerosene should i use to treat a 275 gallon fuel tank down to -15 'f TIA

Your oil dealer probably has a 50/50 mix that will be halfway between #1 and #2 in price. Most delivery trucks have a kerosene compartment. You'd need that percentage of kero, if not 100% pure, at that temp.

Is your tank outdoors, or somewhat sheltered in your basement/garage? If you're staying put a while it might be economical to move it somwewhere warmer so you can burn the cheap stuff.

I'm intrigued that a ~$10 bottle of this stuff worked for you: There's about a 25-cent per gallon premium for kerosene. Would almost rather recommend the additive if it freed up a 275 gallon tank.

[ January 23, 2005, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: eljefino ]

quote:

Originally posted by Vstrom:
It is not just kerosene. It also contains alcohols to defrost the fuel and lube additives.

http://www.powerservice.com

Looks like a good thing to try.

Kerosene helps, but even if you thin it enough to approach the properties of DF1, the larger molecules of the DF2 are still there and can turn to wax and drop out of the mix if things get really cold.

That info comes from prepping vehicles for Artic conditions, so may not be a big concern in the lower 48.

The outside tank, was about 3/8 full, roughly 100 gallons. I had the filter off and had opened the bleed on the gun, so I had air. I took the copper line off the tank out flow and it was dripping out slowly like motor oil. I went to my local NAPA and the guy I ve been dealing with for 35 yrs had the 911 and some stuff in a white jug, same outfit, different function. I described the problem and he sold me the red jug. I poured it in and went inside and boiled a kettle full of water. 20 minutes later I poured the hot water onto the shut- offs and opened them, the fuel oil oozed out slowly at 1st then faster. I had a big pan under this, so I let about qt flow before I hit the shut off. I got oil at the inside filter , and again at the gun.
smile.gif
smile.gif
When I pushed the start button the gun fired. The kitchen was 41'f. Its been running fine. Temps were rising steadily through this, by 9:30 it was 10'f. so that prolly helped

I really wish I could find that stuff, it is top notch. If you have a tank full of gelled fuel in your car all you have to do is pour it in, jump on the bumper, and drive away.
cheers.gif
It works immediately and I've heard this from several people.

Steve

Where does Power Service say it contains no alcohols? In their product description page it says this-

Removes water from fuel system - extends life of fuel-filters, fuel injection pumps
and fuel injectors
Contains Slickdiesel® for maximum fuel lubrication - protects fuel injectors and pumps against accelerated wear from Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels
Completes microbial clean-ups - when used with Power Service Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide, Diesel 9·1·1 disperses slime, provides a more effective kill and reduces fuel-filter plugging
Contains the type of non-harmful alcohols recommended by diesel engine manufacturers for removal of water in diesel fuel systems
When used as directed, does not lower the flash point of No. 2 diesel fuel below the ASTM minimum standard

Notice the next to last sentence....this is directly off their website
dunno.gif

They DO say their other diesel treatments contain no alcohol but the 911 anti-gel DOES have alcohol, they just claim it is a type that is not harmful

[ January 26, 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Vstrom ]

One of the old tricks for the old diesel fuel in real cold weather was to mix in about 10% gasoline. This did the job of keeping it from gelling. It worked fine in truck engines. I don't know how this would work in an oil burner furnace.

VW used to recommend adding gasoline to the late 70s diesel Rabbits. The engines never changed until 1997 but this information eventually disappeared from the owners manual.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back