2006 F250 ATF/Axles/transfer case

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i picked up a 2006 f250 with 240,000 miles (6.0 powerstroke with 5-speed auto) and i have no maintenence records for the truck. I'm pretty confident the trans/axles/transfercase have not had their fluids changed recently so I will be looking to do so in the near future. Just looking for recomendations on what fluids to use (brands and viscosity). The truck is basically a daily driver for my wife and will see some weekend towing during the summer months (20ft enclosed trailer with dirt bikes and gear). I have always heard redline pretty much makes the best gear lubes but really have no idea what to go with for ATF. Also, if anyone knows where to buy the fluids at a reasonable price please let me know.

Also wondering if it would be worth picking up a mag-hytec diff cover for the rear and if so would that change my fluid reccomendations?

Last edited:
According to your owner's manual the front axle calls for 80W-90 and the rear axle needs 75W-140. I have a F-150 FX4 and these are the same fluids that are specified for mine. I chose Amsoil 75W-110 for the front and 75W-140 for the rear axle. Pablo on this site can sell the Amsoil to you delivered directly to your door for a good price.

I did not see anything in the OM for your transfer case, but mine called for transfer case fluid XL-12 (although the dealer used Mercon V the first time they changed it). Here are my Transfer Case UOAs.

I have about 92K on mine so far and have always used Ford ATF in the transmission and based upon my UOAs and performance of the transmission with this ATF, I see no reason to use anything else--I also tow quite a bit.(YMMV of course).

The Mag-Hytec is a nice piece of hardware; I would recommend it. Here is a link to some photos of the one for my unit. The running temperatures should drop using it and Jim Allen on this site is a great source of information about axles and specifications. He notes that I could run a thinner fluid after installing the Mag-Hytec (likely 75W-110 or 75W-90), but I remained with the specified 75W-140 for personal reasons.

Hope this helps!

I've got the same truck, except not a diesel.

Transmission (5R110) uses Mercon LV. You can get Motorcraft Mercon LV at OReillys for around 5 bucks a quart. Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc is also a good fluid to use, some Walmarts or Auto Zone have it for $16-17/ gallon. (I'm using the Maxlife in mine) Your owners manual probably says to use Mercon SP, but SP has been discontinued and replaced with LV. The transmission pan has a drain plug, so you can just drain and refill the pan (8 quarts) and change the external filter. If you want to do a complete flush, you have to go to a Ford dealer that has a special heated flush machine because the transmission has an internal thermostat that won't open until the fluid is heated to 170 degrees F.

Transfer Case can use Mercon ATF or Motorcraft XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid. I'm also running the Maxlife Dex/Merc in my transfer case.

Rear axle requires 75W-140 synthetic. Ford says it never needs to be changed unless the axle is submerged in water or repairs are needed, but I changed min at 100K anyway. Front axle can use any 75/80W-90.

SP has not been discontinued, it is still recommended for the ZF 6 speed automatics used in SUVs. LV was back-spec'd to replace SP on the Torqahift transmissions about a year ago.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
SP has not been discontinued, it is still recommended for the ZF 6 speed automatics used in SUVs. LV was back-spec'd to replace SP on the Torqahift transmissions about a year ago.

Interesting, everything I've seen had said that SP was no longer being made and any that may still be available would be old stock.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Interesting, everything I've seen had said that SP was no longer being made and any that may still be available would be old stock.

Nope, quite incorrect. Still order cases of it every week. We have customers that still insist on using it over LV in their TorqShifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back