Portable tire inflator/compressor, any worthwhile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 of these (1 in each car). It is very smooth and quiet. It often on sale for $20.

jdeare said "I only need it to raise the pressure 2-4 psi. Is the one you have this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html"

Last edited:
I have a Sears 12V plug unit. It has more than paid for it's self on our driving vacations where I always carry it. It inflates decently but not too quickly, but it's ok. At home I use my portable job site air compressor. It works great and fast
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jdeare
So I was wondering if there's some kind of rechargeable compressor that's worthwhile?

Yeah, a basic compressed air tank. Easily recharged off any conventional compressor.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jdeare
Thanks guys! Lots of options here. Taking a 12V one on a trip does seem like a good idea...

We have carried one of these Campbell-Hausfeld inflators with us for years, and would not dream of leaving the city limits without one tucked under the driver's seat. It has saved our bacon several times.

Campbell-Hausfeld packages the same model as a "Husky" brand inflator for Home Depot. The emergency light can be a real help if you have to pump up a leaky tire at night to get to a place where the tire can be repaired. For likely half the price of a tank of gas, it is the best and cheapest insurance you can buy. Highly recommended.

I use one of these
campbell_hausfeld.jpg
and a 750W power inverter. Certainly isn't the most convenient, best looking, elegant, quiet setup ... but it gets the job done.

I use it a lot - currently two of our three vehicles have leaky tires and it gets quite a workout in the summer when I'm airing down the tires.

I already had the power inverter and my mom happened to find the compressor at target for $10 on clearance. Good price, I think.

I dread the day that it finally dies. I'm not sure I trust the cheaper ones.

I wouldn't mind one of the more portable ones ... they would certainly take up less trunk space on trips.

Originally Posted By: widman
I carry a 12V one on every trip. Use it a lot (most flat tires in a day = 9). I've only worn out one. I think it was a Campbell or something like that, but it had served me well for 10 years or so, probably completely filling 100 tires, plus topping off many others.
Current one has a dial gauge. 5 psi off, but once you know that, no problem.

No, they don't draw too much current. I usually start the engine, but not always.

Nine? Freakin' nine?! Were you running from the police?

I use a bicycle pump mainly. It provides exercise, is far cheaper than any electric item, costs zero to operate, lasts a very long time and performs as fast or faster.

I dohave a super cheap hot dog compressor for if I have to pump a lot of air, but the bike pump is best.

I'm not opposed to using a hand pump. I would need to get one with a better schrader chuck than what I have currently though.

One that I often use is a red metal no name from Kmart that I bought about 10 years ago when I had a blowout in the middle of winter and my spare was low.

In the last 12 years I wore out a dozen air compressors of the type that plug into a ciggy plug. The 5 to 35$ range ones. All failed.

These are slow, and overheat easily, and leave you with a useless noise maker as your tire deflates further.

My usage was mostly airing up 235/75/15's from 32 to ~48 PSI after driving on washboarded roads in Baja.

The last compressor I bought, and by far the best I've owned is the masterflow MV-50/ tsunami mv 1050 available at pep boys or elsewhere for ~60$.

It has alligator clips to hook directly to the battery. It draws 16 to 18 amps and comes with a 30 amp fuse. It has more than enough wire and airhose to reach all 4 tires.

It is pretty fast. The Schrader valve coupler is pretty clunky though.

More recently I disassembled it and retapped the head to accept standard air fittings, and added a 80mm computer fan to blow on the head, and probably nullify the 30 minute max on time.

But it was able to do the 32 to 50 psi in 4 tires in well under 30 minutes anyway before I upgraded the air chuck and added the fan.

Viair makes pretty good 12 volt compressors too.

I finally managed to find an air hose that I like (good location, works well, no retractable hose) so I'm going to hold off on purchasing anything for now.

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back