Which spec 229.51 oil would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gaiex
Low SAPS Castrol edge 5w30 ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C3 and mobil 1 ESP 5w30 ACEA C2/C3, A3/B3/B4, both have lower TBN than the castrol TD 5w40 (but higher than 0w40), and are more expensives!

I'm confused!

PS: Castrol Edge TD 5w40 is also ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C3

Shall I say...don't worry about it being cheaper; it seems like an excellent oil for your application.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: gaiex
Low SAPS Castrol edge 5w30 ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C3 and mobil 1 ESP 5w30 ACEA C2/C3, A3/B3/B4, both have lower TBN than the castrol TD 5w40 (but higher than 0w40), and are more expensives!

I'm confused!

PS: Castrol Edge TD 5w40 is also ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C3

Probably because TD is a 40w oil. It seems to me that, aside from Motul, a lot of the Low-SAPS 40w oils in Europe are mostly Group III whereas the 30w's have more Group IV/V. That may be a reason for the cost difference.

Castrol does not sell the Low-SAPS Edge, RS, RS Sport oils in the United States. So our experience with the product is limited. In fact the only Castrol 229.51 oil I know of that's sold in the U.S. is the SLX OE Professional 5w-30 via BMW & maybe VW dealership.

My $.02

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
So our experience with the product is limited. In fact the only Castrol 229.51 oil I know of that's sold in the U.S. is the SLX OE Professional 5w-30 via BMW & maybe VW dealership.

I will be posting a UOA with this oil in a BMW X5 35d very soon.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
So our experience with the product is limited. In fact the only Castrol 229.51 oil I know of that's sold in the U.S. is the SLX OE Professional 5w-30 via BMW & maybe VW dealership.

I will be posting a UOA with this oil in a BMW X5 35d very soon.

Charlie

Is it your factory fill? I'm only asking because under the UOA section I posted a link of a 35d which had the analysis done on factory fill and Blackstone thought it was a break-in oil because of the very low levels of zinc.

No, it's the 2nd change, from 9700 to 21300 mileage (11600 total).
I'm primarily concerned about the TBN. If it's too low I might have to go to a 50/50 mix of M1 ESP Formula 5W30 and Delvac 1 ESP 5W40, to get the TBN up. Or insist on more frequent OCI (they are done under warranty). Or do intermediate changes myself.

Charlie

Saw these comments on a Mercedes forum regarding oil for the GL320/350 diesel

"Oil must meet Mercedes 229.51--this is NOT the same as Mercedes 229.5.

No exceptions.

BTW, if you change your oil early, you'll create damage. Follow ONLY Mercedes 10K mile specified intervals.

This is not 1956."

"The oils that meet MB spec are depositing protective features in your engine. They don't if you change them early. There is zip/zero/nada benefit to early oil changes--this is the 21st century and things aren't what they used to be."

"First oil change should have been at 10,000 mi. The 'factory' oil needs to stay in that long to properly break in the engine and 'set' the additive package. In any event, use ONLY the Mobil ESP oil specified. Not usually too hard to find and it is NOT equivalent to Mobil 1 from Walmart"

"Fuchs TITAN GT1 229.51 SAE 5W-30 (first fill oil in OM 642) is different from the Mobil 1 ESP change oil that M-B approves. It may not be classed as a 'break in' oil, but it DOES have a different additive package. Those additives require time to work, hence the 10,000 mi first change interval. Most subsequent change intervals are longer - depending on your driving conditions and habits."

These comments seem questionable to me. An early oil change will damage the diesel engine?????? The additives need 10,000 miles to do their work????

What do you guys think?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Saw these comments on a Mercedes forum regarding oil for the GL320/350 diesel

"Oil must meet Mercedes 229.51--this is NOT the same as Mercedes 229.5.

No exceptions.

BTW, if you change your oil early, you'll create damage. Follow ONLY Mercedes 10K mile specified intervals.

This is not 1956."

"The oils that meet MB spec are depositing protective features in your engine. They don't if you change them early. There is zip/zero/nada benefit to early oil changes--this is the 21st century and things aren't what they used to be."

"First oil change should have been at 10,000 mi. The 'factory' oil needs to stay in that long to properly break in the engine and 'set' the additive package. In any event, use ONLY the Mobil ESP oil specified. Not usually too hard to find and it is NOT equivalent to Mobil 1 from Walmart"

"Fuchs TITAN GT1 229.51 SAE 5W-30 (first fill oil in OM 642) is different from the Mobil 1 ESP change oil that M-B approves. It may not be classed as a 'break in' oil, but it DOES have a different additive package. Those additives require time to work, hence the 10,000 mi first change interval. Most subsequent change intervals are longer - depending on your driving conditions and habits."

These comments seem questionable to me. An early oil change will damage the diesel engine?????? The additives need 10,000 miles to do their work????

What do you guys think?

BMW factory fill for their diesels appears to be a break in oil, but the few UOA's I've seen at 10k mile or over show the oil was well spent.

Something I've always believed about synthetics is that they're designed around long intervals. Changing early negates that benefit. Unfortunatly for some who like to change early there are no Low-SAPs dino oils.

Two years have passed and still running the Mercedes OM642 V6 3.0CDI engine and I'm using Castrol EDGE TurboDiesel 5w40 as discussed some posts behind, but only have 90k km, and next service is approching and wondering if there will be any problem changing to the Castrol EDGE 5w30 OEM recomended since I've allways heard not to change oil types or oil brands?

(Castrol TD 5w40 was not in the castrol/MB list for my car, but is a MB229.51 norm and with a better TBN as we discussed earlier in this thread, that's why I'm using it, and it's also alot cheaper than 5w30 the one MB recommends)

5w40 specs:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/6CA628996B77DD50802578DA0061D1F5/$File/BPXE-8K8KLX_0.pdf
http://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/7E589D64919CC90380257A9A00527798/$File/156484Castrol%20EDGE%20Turbo%20Diesel%205W-40.pdf

5w30 specs:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/9E752AB7790EE78C802578DA00620D2A/$File/BPXE-8K8KRD_0.pdf
http://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/04B6610BD93631FC802579340049FAE5/$File/063576Castrol%20EDGE%205W-30.pdf

PS: car had from factory Aral Super Tronic 0w40, and after that 2 oil changes with the Castrol EDGE TD 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back