Altima 2.5 S hard starts....

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK.....replaced the VSS and crank sensor on the 05 Altima 2.5. the check engine showed a code for each. Afterwards the customer was so happy. 1 month later it's doing it again, however, there are no codes as of yet.
To make things worse I had 3 2005 Altimas this week all 2.5 S models with the same issue and nothing seems to fix this hard start issue! tune-ups, batteries, nothing!
Anyone, know the trick to this?

Yes, several possibilities but first check with your dealer and see if you need the ECM to be re-flashed with a firmware update after the new sensor install. Research TSB or recall on this issue because it is common.

Otherwise check:
1. Fuel pump pressure
2. Clean throttle body & fuel injectors

Last edited:
DTC P0340 and/or P0345?

Starts OK when cold, and then difficult when warm, right?

Per Nissan TSB NTB04-063:

If you have only P0340: replace Bank 1 CMP sensor.
If you have only P0345: replace Bank 2 CMP sensor.

If you have both, you need to replace both sensors. Or if you have a hard start with no codes, you should replace both.

Supposedly there's a rumor that updated sensors are available. Not sure if thats the case.

GL.

Updated sensors are the ones I installed. Not sure if she had a chance to update the ECM but I know others that have and they are still having this problem.
My customer is asking me what else she needs me to do but Im at a lose. I do not want to take her money without a firm answer. Told her I'll look further into the issue then get back to her.
The other 2 customers just didn't care.

sounds like bad gas ,odds of all those cars having the same part fail at the same time are pretty slim, chances of them getting gas at the same station is much better, maybe that particular engine doesent like too much moisture in the fuel...

Originally Posted By: brelandt
Updated sensors are the ones I installed. Not sure if she had a chance to update the ECM but I know others that have and they are still having this problem.
My customer is asking me what else she needs me to do but Im at a lose. I do not want to take her money without a firm answer. Told her I'll look further into the issue then get back to her.

Did you replace both, or only one of them?

You need to do the firmware update on the ECM to go further. Speak with her dealer and see if her specific model calls for it.

If you replaced the crank sensor you may need to replace the cam sensors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

No just the crank sensor. Was tuff getting at it too. The cam should be changed as well? I only know of the crank and cam. Cam looks super easy to get to.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

No just the crank sensor. Was tuff getting at it too. The cam should be changed as well? I only know of the crank and cam. Cam looks super easy to get to.

There's two, you need to replace both- bank 1 and bank 2. PM me your e-mail and I'll send u a copy of the bulletin.

For the 2.5 engine, you are best off replacing both the Cam and the Crank sensors at the same time.

What you should be really worried about is if the catalytic convertor has come apart, and killed the cylinder bore. How is the oil consumption with the car?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
For the 2.5 engine, you are best off replacing both the Cam and the Crank sensors at the same time.

What you should be really worried about is if the catalytic convertor has come apart, and killed the cylinder bore. How is the oil consumption with the car?

BC.

Oil level was fine. Infact every Altima 2.5 was well within safe limits according to the dipstick level.

There have been a few re-designs of the cam/crank sensors. Change them both at once. If it isnt firing up, watch RPM data pid with scan tool to see if it is indeed not picking up a RPM signal.

Are there any codes?

Yeah had a trouble with cam sensors on 03 3.5l Altima. It would start after a minute or two, and could also stall on low speeds. Changing both sensors cured it.

Originally Posted By: mattd
There have been a few re-designs of the cam/crank sensors. Change them both at once. If it isnt firing up, watch RPM data pid with scan tool to see if it is indeed not picking up a RPM signal.

Are there any codes?

I cleared the codes after replacing the 2 parts and they haven't come back but the car is still acting the same way. Ran fine for a week afterwards but now it's doing it again.
A few other customers that came through had the same issue but had taken theirs to the dealer only to have the same problem pop back up. So the guys there aren't fixing them either?

This is a bit long as are most of my posts/replys...

Even though I was only getting the CEL CODE for the Crank Position Sensor, I replaced both Cam & Crank Position Sensors in my '04 Altima 2.5 S with the new(er) redesigned sensors. The Cam Sensor was 5 minutes and the Crank Sensor was 5+ hours. This had/has nothing to do with my "LONGish Start issue"

The new redesign sensors have the electrical connector on the underside of the 10mm holddown bolt, instead of right in front of the bolt. And the sensor portion that enters the engine is now metal instead of plastic, which cracked[plastic] and gets contaminated with oil.

Even prior to changing these sensors, I have always had a periodic loooongish restart but, only on hot humid summer days when the engine is already ))HOT((. Never in the cooler months, nor on the 1st startup of the day or if the car has been sitting for long periods of time.

My way around this is the cycle the ignition key 2-3 times prior to starting the engine(allowing the fuel pump to turn on) and then start the engine.

The problem may be the fuel pump or pump relay. This has been going on in my particular instance, since the car has been off of warranty and maybe only several times during the warranty period but, nothing the dealer could pinpoint. After the engine starts, she runs as if nothing was ever wrong and most likely remain this way for years as mine has.

Some Altima's may be more severe than others. I have never been stranded.

I have found a related article to this "long starting issue" but, I have to look for it again. It was quite detailed my a mechanic that seem to hit the nail on the head. Some of the information may be a bit over my head but, not yours! If I find this article, I will post it or PM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back