EdenPure heaters versus the knockoffs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering getting an Eden Pure "knockoff", now that the cost of one of the knockoffs has dropped below $100.

The knockoff is being sold by a reputable midwestern home improvement chain, and comes with a three year warranty.

An experiences to share with either the Eden Pure or any of the knockoffs?

Here's two links to the knock-off which I'm considering.

http://lifesmartproducts.com/current-products/infrared-heaters/ls-4pc-1000.html

http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cool...7340-c-5617.htm

Not sure if my Grandpa's heater he has like that is the real deal or a knock off, but it pushes out a lot of heat...

My brother is an electrician and he says a watt is a watt is a watt.
Of course, maybe you want one of those Chinese made heaters that have the wooden enclosure made by the Amish.....

All resistance based electrical heaters have the same efficiency and will watt for watt put the same amount of heat in the room. They're all horribly inefficient compared to mechanical heating (ie heat pumps) which typically give you 300+% efficiency compared to only 100% for resistance heaters.

I purchased a SOURCE Green Heat knockoff from WalMart about 3 weeks ago. It was almost $200.00 with the optional 3 year warranty purchase from Walmart. It covers 1500 Square Feet compared to the 1000 Square Feet the largest $400.00 plus Eden Pure Heater displaces. It has your basic high/low settings that digitally you can set from 60 to 86 degrees. Has an eco setting which stays at 68 degrees and turns off when maintained. My girl & I are very pleased with it soo far. Have not run the furnace but once to bleed the radiators & this is a two story small house. Granted it has not become bitter cold yet but I am not worrying the capabilitys of the knock off. Hope I was somewhat helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
This heater I mentioned does have the wooden cabinet look feature also. Its a knock off to the top of the line Eden Pure wooden cabinet look.

i got the one Tractor Supply sells and it is well built and user serviceable. I compared it to eden pure and felt it was better built. With Edenpure- you have to send it in if the bulb goes out while the one i got i can change the bulbs myself.

Works well if you want to heat one space as opposed to your whole house.

My questions would be what are you using it to heat and do you have natural gas? For use as a space heater for temporary use in a garage... etc 1500 watts is about 5000 BTU's so it's not going to do much besides whatever is one foot in front of it.

I agree that all resistance-style electric heaters are the same efficiency, but I think noise levels and parts replacement would be more of a concern. If you have natural gas that's so much cheaper than electric heat you'd be better off heating your entire house than using this in one room.

I got the larger version from Menards last year and it does just as good as the Eden Pure. They are better than a straight quartz heater or the ceramic heaters. Seems to take less humidity out of the air than a ceramic and it is just a quartz heater with a fan basicly.

But be careful on the size as they do not heat a very large area.

Buy the cheapest 1500 watt heater with a good fan and be done with it. I have a little Vornado heater that works well for heating a smaller room. The good fan really helps spread the heat around.

I happened to be at the store that is selling these for $99.00.

I needed a couple of jugs of Rotella T 10w-30 that they had on sale for $12.99/gallon.

In addition to these being on sale for $99.00 (regularly $129.00), they were also running an 11% off sale.

That put the final cost at $88.99. And the final cost of those gallons of Rotella was $11.55/gallon. :^)

I've give the heater a try and see how I like it. (I already know that I like the Rotella...)

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I've give the heater a try and see how I like it. (I already know that I like the Rotella...)
keep your receipt

Originally Posted By: andersd
Seems to take less humidity out of the air than a ceramic and it is just a quartz heater with a fan basicly.

There's no possible way an electric heater can take humidity out of the air. The only way you're going to get humidity out of the air is using a device that causes the humidity to condense and collect in a container or through a drain or by using a material that attracts and retains water (Damp rid, dri-z-air etc).

Changing temperature in a room with a certain relative humidity at a temperature to a higher temperature will cause the relative humidity to drop. But, you still have the same quantity of moisture in the air. That water has to go somewhere it doesn't just go away. All heaters no matter what type will do this at exactly the same rate.

a light bulb of comparative wattage and a small fan will emit nearly the exact same amount of heat and cost a lot less.

Most electrical appliances emit the lions share of power consumed as heat anyway.

We bought a wooden knock-off and it works fine for just a single room heater when you want to keep the overall T-stat turned down. It's just looks for the most part, but ours seems quieter and less tinny in a room with other wood furnishings.

We do also have a Vornado of the same wattage for the larger bathroom.....it does fine, but the knockoff EdenPure does move more heated air when the fan kicks on after the preheat cycle. The T-stat works quite nice. It's bigger of course and had more cavities, but again as stated a watt is a watt, but the perceived warmth is a human thing.

A watt is a watt.
If I was to get an electrical portable heater (central gas here), I would get one of those that have the parabolic dish to radiate the feel of heat. Ever walk around in a store and walk by in front of one? Instant feel of heat.
That's because I would use one in the garage so I can aim it toward me and feel the heat instantly compared to trying to heat up all the air space. Actually saw/felt one at Costco last week and almost bought it but already had a large load to haul home. I was thinking of using it out back just for when grilling to knock some of the chill feel standing there.
Matter of fact, think I'll go buy one and gift it to the wife for me to use.

I try to explain this to people all the time that buy these $200+ heaters. 1500 watts is 1500 watts, an eden pure heater is just the same principle in a fancy box. A $15 1500 watt heater will do the same job for much less.

I have the same trouble explaining 240 volt appliances to people. They have it in their mind that they're more efficient. They see a 5000 watt heater only pulling 20 amps @ 240 volts and think it's cheaper to run than a 5000 watt heater pulling 40 amps @ 120 volts. The supply is only being split between phases.

Just think of the law of conservation of energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back