Taking up archery on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has shown some real interest in archery and since he has no athletic ability I feel this may be a great sport for him. Of course if he is going to get a new toy, then I want one too! I am looking on Craigslist and Ebay and just want some general direction on what to look for in a used bow. I have found some good archery forums, but I know jack squat about the sport. I am a big guy 6'2" 195, my son is about 100 lbs and 10 years old. We will obviously need separate bows, what are some good older used compound bows I should look for? And no I am not going to spend $400 on a new bow.

It has been a few decades since I hunted with a bow, so some of this information may be out dated, but I doubt that, even with the constant advances in bows.

For you, you might get a great deal on a used bow from an elderly man who has had a stroke, or from a widow who is getting rid of her husbands hunting gear, or an estate sale. If you ever go to an estate sale, mention you are looking for a bow, because they may have one or more, but may not have put them out, just because they may think no one would want it.

Remember this one very important question, ask where in the house the bow was stored. If they answer "in the attic" pass on it, because storing a bow in a hot attic will dry it out and damage it, and you don't want to be anywhere near a bow when it explodes in failure because it was stored in a hot attic.

Don't go cheap on arrows. If you use old dried out (wood) arrows they can splinter before they even leave the bow, and you can end up with a long splinter driven into your arm by the bow.

For the 10 year old, you probably have to limit the bow to 30 pounds of pull. It would be a good idea to do some test with a range of bows at 30 pounds and then some above and some below that pull. Be sure he can hold the bow back steady, long enough to sight in a shot.

For your son, try to get arrows that are not too much heavier than that bow requires. Shooting an arrow rated for a 75 pound bow out of a 30 pound bow, is going to drastically reduce the range of the 30 pound bow, because the arrow is too heavy.

For a use bow expect it to be at least one generation behind the current bows that are in stores. But even a compound that is 25 years old will still shoot well.

I would take the boy to a sporting goods store that sells bows. Tell him in advance that you are only looking to see what pound bow he can draw and hold, not looking to buy today. Or go to a archery range where young people shoot and ask to let him try a few just to find out how much he can pull.

Been in archery a lot of decades.It has changed so much in the last 10 year or so,parralell limbs ,carbon arrows etc.
Mostly now into the traditional stuff but I do still hunt mostly with compounds.
There are bows for youth now that are not real expensive and adjustable for draw lenght and pull weight over a very wide range.
He should be able to get a bow even used that will fit fit him now and adjust up till he's in his early teens. as said above go to a good archery shop and just check things out.
For you just off the top of my head a PSE stinger is a good low price bow for about 300-400 new in a ready to shoot package.
Go online to Gander mountain and bass pro just to browse and get familiar with what is out there.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
My son has shown some real interest in archery and since he has no athletic ability I feel this may be a great sport for him. Of course if he is going to get a new toy, then I want one too! I am looking on Craigslist and Ebay and just want some general direction on what to look for in a used bow. I have found some good archery forums, but I know jack squat about the sport. I am a big guy 6'2" 195, my son is about 100 lbs and 10 years old. We will obviously need separate bows, what are some good older used compound bows I should look for? And no I am not going to spend $400 on a new bow.

This is the "firearms" section.

You'll have to use flaming arrows to post here .....
35.gif

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Been in archery a lot of decades.It has changed so much in the last 10 year or so,parralell limbs ,carbon arrows etc.
Mostly now into the traditional stuff but I do still hunt mostly with compounds.
There are bows for youth now that are not real expensive and adjustable for draw lenght and pull weight over a very wide range.
He should be able to get a bow even used that will fit fit him now and adjust up till he's in his early teens. as said above go to a good archery shop and just check things out.
For you just off the top of my head a PSE stinger is a good low price bow for about 300-400 new in a ready to shoot package.
Go online to Gander mountain and bass pro just to browse and get familiar with what is out there.

What part of "And no I am not going to spend $400 on a new bow." did you not understand.

He is looking for a very low cost introduction. The 25 pound conventional "Barnett bow" can be purchased new on E-bay for somewhere around 25 to 35 + shipping, but he will require a few more arrows than come along with that set. A low cost quiver bow or strap(s) to keep in over your shoulder or on your back would also be appropriate.

For less than $150 he could bet a 25 pound compound "Hoyt Ruckus bow" on E-bay. Again additional for more arrows, and quiver.

If you and or the boy ever go hunting, for fast follow up shot, you will want a bow mounted quiver. If you get a bow mounted quiver be sure the tips are covered by a hard plastic housing. People carrying a bow through woods they are not familiar pay attention to getting the bow past the branches, and not attention to how slippery the leaves on the wet ground can be. Falls do happen and when you land out of control, if the bow is below you or your son, you want those razor sharp multiple pointed multiple tips of arrows to be very well housed if you or your son should end up landing on top of them. They will easily cut through a dears hide, or a hunting coat.

Call Barrett bow hunting at 607 733 7773 and ask what bow are in the pull range and price range for your boy, and also ask about decent field tip (target tip) arrows in the low cost price range rated for the same bow pounds and young boys draw length. Once you have the information you can look on their web site to view it, or just order it.

Well I finally found what I was looking for. Ebay has the best deals on new and used bows from what I could find over the last 3 weeks of looking. Picked up a new Martin Bobcat for $42 for my son. And a 2 year old Martin Threshold for $105 for me. Now I have to find some arrows that don't break the bank
smile.gif

Those are excellent choices and now is a great time to buy on ebay. Wal-mart arrows are decent just look at charts to pick correct arrow spine. Or you could buy blanks that are cut to length with inserts installed and fletch.

You can get decent arrows pretty cheap if you look around. Ebay is a good place and so are pawn shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back