Possible to bypass A/C compressor? 2000 VW Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bearing for the A/C compressor on my 2000 Golf GL has been slowly starting to go and now it has reached a point where it is really squealing. So much so that I was at my mechanic's garage today getting my winters put on and he was really worried it was going to seize up really soon and brake my belt. He said it sounded like there was no bearing left just metal on metal. This car though is my winter beater so I don't use the A/C that much and I don't want to spent hundreds getting the old compressor removed and a jobber installed. Is there a way of bypassing the compressor by adding a smaller accessory belt?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/A%21s%21C+Compressor+Bypass+Pulley/03861/C0328.oap?keyword=ac+bypass+pulley&year=2000&make=Volkswagen&model=Golf&vi=1359503

would something like this work for you?

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/A%21s%21C+Compressor+Bypass+Pulley/03861/C0328.oap?keyword=ac+bypass+pulley&year=2000&make=Volkswagen&model=Golf&vi=1359503

would something like this work for you?

Well that might just do it. Thanks I didn't even know that existed. None of the online parts stores I shop at list that product.

Just keep in mind your AC does run in the winter when you have it in the Defrost mode. It runs to dry the air that will be blown on your windshield, preventing it from fogging up.

With the compressor bypassed you'll still get warm air in defrost mode but expect more fogging

Originally Posted By: cmorr
Just keep in mind your AC does run in the winter when you have it in the Defrost mode. It runs to dry the air that will be blown on your windshield, preventing it from fogging up.

With the compressor bypassed you'll still get warm air in defrost mode but expect more fogging

Not on a 2000 Golf.

It will be on or off.

If the car was available without aircon, very likely for that age of European built car, then there will be a way to run without the aircon compressor, as the vehicle was fitted with air con mainly for the US market.

I have known people bypass the compressor on the 1.9 turbo diesel but not sure what engine you have.

Whenever I have seen it done they simply remove the compressor and run a piece of string round the belt route minus the compressor, then buy a belt of the correct dimensions, though a good start may be the belt for the non air con version of your Golf.

It will have been engineered to have air con added on easily, it will not have been engineered like most US cars.

Might want to call or email to verify it will work with your application:
The below is for the 2.0L engine but they probably have others. This is the oem belt for the non ac engine. If everything else the same between the ac engine and the non ac it might work.
MJM Autohaus

As suggested already a dorman bypass pulley.Another source.
Dorman Bypass Pulley

It would be a lot easier and probably cheaper just to buy a junkyard compressor. Just don't hook it up if you don't care about the a/c.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
It would be a lot easier and probably cheaper just to buy a junkyard compressor. Just don't hook it up if you don't care about the a/c.

Thanks for the help guys. Isn't the AC system pressurized with Freon gas and wouldn't I have to get that drained before disconnecting the lines or else have this probably poisonous stuff filling up my garage?

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Originally Posted By: antonmnster

Thanks for the help guys. Isn't the AC system pressurized with Freon gas and wouldn't I have to get that drained before disconnecting the lines or else have this probably poisonous stuff filling up my garage?

Yes, you take the car to a mechanic to have the refrigerant vacuumed out.

Generally they do that part for free. You're giving them something of value.

It's no poisonous unless there's an open flame around; it's just destructive for the ozone layer if you care about that kind of stuff. You'd hardly be the first person to just vent it. But to be clear, taking it to a shop to be emptied is easy, fast, and the right thing to do.

I bet someone somewhere knows how to pop the clutch off. That's definitely the best option. It's probably hard to do in the car since it probably needs a puller.

Last edited:
Alright so after a closer inspection I can't bypass the compressor pulley with a shorter belt. The compressor has to go. Does anyone know if its possible to just change the bearing itself if I removed the compressor from the car. This thing is my winter beater and its honestly probably not worth a grand, but the engine and tranny is still good and it doesn't have that much rust. I just don't really want to sink money into a rebuilt compressor. The cheapest I've found so far is $150.

Does it do it all the time or only when the A/C clutch is engaged? If it's only when the a/c clutch is engaged, pull the AC relay. That will stop it from engaging

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Does it do it all the time or only when the A/C clutch is engaged? If it's only when the a/c clutch is engaged, pull the AC relay. That will stop it from engaging

All the time. I removed the drivebelt and spun the pulley myself and it squeals badly.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Alright so after a closer inspection I can't bypass the compressor pulley with a shorter belt. The compressor has to go. Does anyone know if its possible to just change the bearing itself if I removed the compressor from the car. This thing is my winter beater and its honestly probably not worth a grand, but the engine and tranny is still good and it doesn't have that much rust. I just don't really want to sink money into a rebuilt compressor. The cheapest I've found so far is $150.

You were always going to have to remove the compressor to bypass it otherwise the compressor would get in the way of the belt run surely?

I finally found time to pull my AirCon compressor out of the car and also track down someone near by with a working one that was willing to sell it to me for $60 :thumbup: ...but now a set back. Apparently VW used two different brands of Japanese compressors in the MK4 gen of cars. Zexel and Sanden. I have a zexel and the guy has a Sanden, and from what I've read on other forums these two are not parts or connector compatible. What a set back!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back