Type F fluid recommended by trans builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 94 Roadmaster wagon with 350 LT1 and 4L60e transmission has a performance rebuilt trans which was installed 5 years ago and now has 40,000 miles on it. I want to change the fluid again and was told by the builder; Fred Brown Transmission to use Type F fluid which I have used in the past (Walmart brand). The rebuild was a street level rebuild (not total high performance). Originally FB used Dex III and preferred this but is now unavailable so advised me to use TYPE F.
Researching Type F I found it has less detergents and less resistance to high temps.
Is this true?
Should I change the fluid more than once a year or 10,000 miles?
Is there any advantages/disadvantages to using Type F?
Car now has 150,000 and runs fairly well.

I'd be pretty weary of the type F recommendation, since it's different than Dex III. Get in contact with them once more and find out their stance on Valvoline's maxlife which is suitable for applications that call for Dex III and found most anywhere.

Type F does not have friction modifiers, I'd be concerned about accelerated wear in the long term. You can get synthetic Type F's that'll resist heat, believe Redline has one.

Originally Posted By: windssurfer

I've heard of shady car salesmen putting type "F" into a tranny when it's just starting to slip, but I can't imagine any advantages of using it in anything but a Ford built before about 1978. Is there any way you could call Fred Brown Transmission and ask them why they recommend type "F"?

Called them many times over the years and they maintain to use Type F. I haven't had any problems with it yet.
If I decide to switch, What would either of you recommend? Can I switch gradually, like drain 4 qts. and add 4 of a different type or should it be all changed at once?

Last edited:
Back when I was in school the older guys used to talk about putting Type F in GM transmissions to get them to shift "better". They said it would make the shifting a little harder.

My buddy uses type F in his racing transmission. He has a 1971 Chevelle with a really huge engine. Can't remember what cubic inch but we figured it out to be 9.2 liters. Has some sort of GM tranny. Not sure what tranny, but he told me he uses type F for better shifting. Never has transmission problems and he only uses car for drag racing.

From what I remember, Type F was a very good fluid and used to be suggested by many high performance trans builders. I do remember GM guys running it in TH350's and TH400's when I was drag racing.

Type F isnt particularity good at much. Its pretty basic and its lack of friction modifiers makes transmissions its installed in shift firmer. Ive used it in a 3T40 that was on its last legs, but that was a fully hydraulic* transmission. Not like the fully electronic transmissions of today with controlled slip and lockup. I wouldnt use it for anything but what its recommended for plus maybe a few exceptions.

*It did have electronic lockup, however it was either on or off. No controlled slip.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Whats so hard about finding dexIII?

I might have that wrong, which Dex is no longer available, DexII? For some reason FB preferred the one that was no longer available.

Quote from FB web page for 4L60e rebuild

" What kind of transmission fluid should I use?
For Street and Street/Strip applications we only recommend the use of Ford type "F" Transmission fluid. For Extreme Duty applications we only recommend the use of ULX-110 type fluid. Both of these fluids are natural Petrolium based. Both of these fluids contain zinc which is the primary additive for proper lubrication for high performance transmissions. We do not recomend synthetic transmission fluids."
Fred Brown web page

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
My buddy uses type F in his racing transmission. He has a 1971 Chevelle with a really huge engine. Can't remember what cubic inch but we figured it out to be 9.2 liters. Has some sort of GM tranny. Not sure what tranny, but he told me he uses type F for better shifting. Never has transmission problems and he only uses car for drag racing.

I recently sold a Chevy with a purpose built 4500 stall turbo 400 transmission that ran over 120 psi.

Type F was used exclusively. NOT recommended for the street.

My 94 Roadmaster wagon with 350 LT1 and 4L60e transmission has a performance rebuilt trans which was installed 5 years ago and now has 40,000 miles on it. I want to change the fluid again and was told by the builder; Fred Brown Transmission to use Type F fluid which I have used in the past (Walmart brand). The rebuild was a street level rebuild (not total high performance). Originally FB used Dex III and preferred this but is now unavailable so advised me to use TYPE F.
Researching Type F I found it has less detergents and less resistance to high temps.
Is this true?
Should I change the fluid more than once a year or 10,000 miles?
Car now has 150,000 and runs fairly well.

If you want to use a high end Type F: Amsoil Super Shift

My '92 Aerostar said the power steering pump needed Type F. About 10 years ago I walked into a Ford parts department and asked for Type F ATF and it took them a while, but they came up with a very dusty bottle. Yet, a new PS pump for the Aerostar, if purchased today will still say to use Type F.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
My '92 Aerostar said the power steering pump needed Type F. About 10 years ago I walked into a Ford parts department and asked for Type F ATF and it took them a while, but they came up with a very dusty bottle. Yet, a new PS pump for the Aerostar, if purchased today will still say to use Type F.
21.gif

There are still tons of 70's and older Fords running around here so Type F is still on the shelves.

Type 'F' has no friction modifiers. It grabs better, and helps clutches last longer in auto trannys.
Street racers used to use type F in their GM 350s and 400s for quicker shifts, and a few 10nths at the drag strip.
Less detergents mean the additives will work better - they are not competing for a claim on metal surfaces. [this is why small engines like lawnmowers spec non detergent oil - it helps additives work better on hot cave man engine types]
Ford used type F for many years [factory fill]. And some people never changed it out with 200,000 on the car. So there goes the 10k myth.

Thanks for your input, mechtech2. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the Type F characteristics but what you are stating seems to answer the question of why a highly reputable transmission builder would recommend it.
So transmission clutch wear could be reduced by using type F if the components are set up for type F.

From what I understand, detergents keep dirt and extraneous particles suspended in the fluid rather than allow it to build up on surfaces.

Is lack of detergent a problem that could be solved by more frequent fluid changers or is that not a problem at all? Would an external transmission filter help due to the lack of detergents?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
21.gif

There are still tons of 70's and older Fords running around here so Type F is still on the shelves.

I have no problem getting type F tranny fluid for my 88 E-150 PS pump. I keep 2 qts of it in my stash for when I do my turkey baster fluid exchange. It beats running out to get it when it comes time to service it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Type 'F' has no friction modifiers. It grabs better, and helps clutches last longer in auto trannys.
Street racers used to use type F in their GM 350s and 400s for quicker shifts, and a few 10nths at the drag strip.
Less detergents mean the additives will work better - they are not competing for a claim on metal surfaces. [this is why small engines like lawnmowers spec non detergent oil - it helps additives work better on hot cave man engine types]
Ford used type F for many years [factory fill]. And some people never changed it out with 200,000 on the car. So there goes the 10k myth.

Thanks for your input. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the Type F characteristics but what you are stating seems to answer the question of why a highly reputable transmission builder would recommend it.
So transmission clutch wear could be reduced by using type F if the components are set up for type F.

From what I understand, detergents keep dirt and extraneous particles suspended in the fluid rather than allow it to build up on surfaces.

Is lack of detergent a problem that could be solved by more frequent fluid changers or is that not a problem at all? Would an external transmission filter help due to the lack of detergents?

Detergents are way more necessary in engines than trannys.
They have blowby, soot, and particulate matter. Trannys don't.
You can also consider a synthetic type F, which B+M has - it's called Trick Shift. [If it is still available!]

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

I used to use Type F in my El Camino's TH350, based on a trans builder recomendation back in the late 70's or early 80's. Noticed a shift firmness difference immediately and never had any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back