too much "injector cleaner" possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i purchased a vehicle that was sitting for YEARS... gasoline tank was replaced, fuel pump, fuel filter... the injectors i left alone (for now).

i plan to dump (1) can of REDLINE Si-1 (60103) AND (1) can of 3M 08814 into a tank of 13 gallons.

or can i do half of each?

Cleaners are all basically solvents, strong solvents, so too much can easily corrode away at rubber components and weaken plastics.

Too much won't clean any better, too. Just follow the instructions.

Too much cleaner has dimishing returns.

Redline is already at the higher end of the dosing recommendation.

Also consider that higher doses in neglected systems can cause injector fouling and fuel filter clogging

Lastly, is the 3M the max strength or regular? Max strength is stronger than redline, regular is very weak.

You may want to do two back to back tanks. If the 3m is regular strength than use it second.

Lastly, don't burn through the tank with lots of highway driving. The more soak time the better

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Cleaners are all basically solvents, strong solvents, so too much can easily corrode away at rubber components and weaken plastics.

Not true if we are talking about PEA cleaners, like Techron, Redline LS-1, or 3M.

PEA is carried by Kerosene in these products.

With PEA once you get to about 60% PEA concentrations the benefits are at the max.

Just use one product as directed.

Originally Posted By: Obos

And you're basing this on.....?

Wrong.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: Obos

And you're basing this on.....?

Information on pea concentration compared to the original chevron pea study results

If you need more than a one shot/(per oil change) cleaning of Techron (which is what is on their label) then send your injectors to member Hurst for cleaning.

But I might do that last after several tanks of gas and one shot of Techron.

E10 will do a decent job of cleaning the tank, but not the injectors or cylinders.

My 1993 Suburban sat from 7/2007 until 5/2010 and I had a heck of a time getting it running right. You have the fuel filter and sock in the tank. This vehicle had TBI which is less demanding about being super clean. Often while driving it would almost die. Turn it off then on and it would run like a champ. I assume the sock was getting clogged and the [censored] would fall off when the engine was turned off.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

Wrong.

And I care what a one-word-wonder thinks?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Not true if we are talking about PEA cleaners, like Techron, Redline LS-1, or 3M.

PEA is carried by Kerosene in these products.

With PEA once you get to about 60% PEA concentrations the benefits are at the max.

Just use one product as directed.

True; in cleaners such as that I suppose your concern starts to become meddling with fuel octane as a result of including too much kerosene.

But realistically if you're pouring in enough injector cleaner to start causing problems (aside from wasting money) you're probably dumping in almost a gallon of the stuff in the first place which should raise alarm bells.

Last edited:
The only problem I can think of is washing the oil off of the cylinder wall.

I know that with the old mechanical carburetors if you had things set up to run way too rich (too much fuel) the extra fuel would wash the oil off of the cylinder walls, and cause the cylinders and pistons to wear out very quickly, like in one year of normal driving.

I know someone who had to have an engine on an older T top Camaro that was in really top notch shape, rebuilt because he drove it for about a year with a very rich carburetor that washed the oil off of the cylinders walls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back