Troy-Bilt generator runs rough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to look a Briggs powered 5550 watt Troy-Bilt generator on Craiglist yesterday, older model, U.S.A. made and supposedly unused.

Anyway, it started up and ran fine with the throttle in the middle position but when placed in the far left "run" detent the engine would begin to miss and run a little rough.

The price was somewhat reasonable but the guy was a Craigslist creepy hillbilly type so I decided to pass.

Would this be an easy fix or something more involved?

Originally Posted By: daman
Sounds like a dirty carb problem,easy fix.

What would need to be done?

Also, he had another one, same model, in better shape but the fuel tank had bits of tan sludge sloshing around and wouldn't start at all.

Was that the remnants of very old gelled up gasoline?

I would say so yes,if it ran on half choke then wanted to stall off choke its starving for fuel so fuel delivery needs to be checked.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
I went to look a Briggs powered 5550 watt Troy-Bilt generator on Craiglist yesterday, older model, U.S.A. made and supposedly unused.

Anyway, it started up and ran fine with the throttle in the middle position but when placed in the far left "run" detent the engine would begin to miss and run a little rough.

The price was somewhat reasonable but the guy was a Craigslist creepy hillbilly type so I decided to pass.

Would this be an easy fix or something more involved?

I assume you mean choke since normally the throttle is fixed. I have a Coleman Powermate with B/S Vanguard with basically the same problem. It runs with no choke, but runs better with 1/2 choke.

When I took off the fuel bowl, it was pristine. So it must be the jet or float needle valve.

If you can get the engine model (usually 3 sets of numbers on a B/S) you can look up the carb price. Many are $100-$125. So if its still a good deal after spending some $$ for a new carb, then go for it. If you can just clean the carb, so much the better. While they sell individual parts, they do not sell rebuild kits for all carbs.

TroyBuilt is MTD junk. But the engine is probably B/S and so is the the generator assembly. MTD just makes the cage and assembles it. (But not in Troy anymore).

i work on briggs all the time . Take the float bowl off , clean it out , unscrew the jet , stick a fine wire through it, clean with carb cleaner.
Put together , it will run fine.
The fuel jet restrictions are not letting gas be sucked up properly. 10-20 minute fix.
i buy and sell at least 10 motors each year that do not run or run like this. Mowers , bikes, generators. Most I can fix in less than 30 minutes.
pay $10 . sell for $100+

Originally Posted By: chad8
i work on briggs all the time . Take the float bowl off , clean it out , unscrew the jet , stick a fine wire through it, clean with carb cleaner.
Put together , it will run fine.
The fuel jet restrictions are not letting gas be sucked up properly. 10-20 minute fix.
i buy and sell at least 10 motors each year that do not run or run like this. Mowers , bikes, generators. Most I can fix in less than 30 minutes.

How about the one that won't start with the bits of brown stuff in the fuel tank, clogged up carb jet as well?

A new carb would be a deal killer for me, the price wasn't that cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back