Be brave; let's talk about the 6F35!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who frequent the site, you may have seen my ongoing thread in this forum about my efforts to improve performance from the 6F35 unit in our Fusion. Last week I did a drain/fill with 4 quarts of Redline D6, and 1 quart of Maxlife ATF (didn't have enough D6). Once I drive the car enough to judge the new performance, I'll post about it. But I got to thinking something...

The 6F35 was, in large part, a joint venture project between GM and Ford. Now, I don't know how much or what is different about the actual GM and Ford units, but I do know that they are very similar. I also know that there are far fewer complaints about the GM unit. Which got me to thinking: maybe the reason for this is because GM's Dexron VI fluid is superior to Ford's Mercon LV? Licensed and approved Dexron VI is readily available and easy to find by a number of different brands, whereas Mercon LV still has no officially licensed aftermarket counterpart, and is for the most part a dealer-only item.

Just thinking out loud here. I realize that licensing and approvals usually mean nothing; maybe Ford didn't feel the need to certify other brands to meet their fluid's specs. Who knows. I wonder how Dex VI would perform in the 6F35, though. Mercon LV and Dex VI have very similar, in fact nearly identical viscosities at 40 C and 100 C. Albeit, the additive packages are different in both fluids. The Redline D6 I put in the Fusion last week is basically Redline's version of Dex VI, which also had product crossover to Mercon LV applications. Anyone tried licensed Dex VI fluid in their Ford, or more specifically, a 6F35 unit?

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
For those who frequent the site, you may have seen my ongoing thread in this forum about my efforts to improve performance from the 6F35 unit in our Fusion. Last week I did a drain/fill with 4 quarts of Redline D6, and 1 quart of Maxlife ATF (didn't have enough D6). Once I drive the car enough to judge the new performance, I'll post about it. But I got to thinking something...

The 6F35 was, in large part, a joint venture project between GM and Ford. Now, I don't know how much or what is different about the actual GM and Ford units, but I do know that they are very similar. I also know that there are far fewer complaints about the GM unit. Which got me to thinking: maybe the reason for this is because GM's Dexron VI fluid is superior to Ford's Mercon LV? Licensed and approved Dexron VI is readily available and easy to find by a number of different brands, whereas Mercon LV still has no officially licensed aftermarket counterpart, and is for the most part a dealer-only item.

Just thinking out loud here. I realize that licensing and approvals usually mean nothing; maybe Ford didn't feel the need to certify other brands to meet their fluid's specs. Who knows. I wonder how Dex VI would perform in the 6F35, though. Mercon LV and Dex VI have very similar, in fact nearly identical viscosities at 40 C and 100 C. Albeit, the additive packages are different in both fluids. The Redline D6 I put in the Fusion last week is basically Redline's version of Dex VI, which also had product crossover to Mercon LV applications. Anyone tried licensed Dex VI fluid in their Ford, or more specifically, a 6F35 unit?

Try some Amsoil ATF.

I can't remember where I was reading it (but it's also plastered all over youtube ...) there's a major component that is made out of brass in the GM version and it's aluminum in the Ford.

1. My SHO has the 6F55 transmission. It can take the 365hp that the SHO puts out. Regular Taurus V6's use the 6F50. I did have a TSB update done on my 6F55 but no problems since that.

2. My Brother-in-law has a Chevrolet Equinox V6 with this joint transmission. He did have one problem with it. Would not move when put into Drive. Dealer ordered a part and all fixed. Don't think it was anything inside the transmission, but rather some kind of control.

(BTW, my MKZ uses the AWF21 transmission - hated it in my 07 MKZ but in my 2011 MKZ, it works like a charm and now love it).

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob

(BTW, my MKZ uses the AWF21 transmission - hated it in my 07 MKZ but in my 2011 MKZ, it works like a charm and now love it).
what engine does your '11 have that is uses the Aisin trans still? Our '07 3.0 AWD Fusion has it and it is fine.

It will be interesting to see if DexVI works in the Ford version of the trans...now to find a guinea pig.

One of my friends has an '11 Fusion. I warned him of the potential issues with the trans, and the importance of having the fluid changed (with LV). So far his is all good, but his car only has about 16K miles on it.

Having my 2012 Fusion SEL til it had 13000 or so miles was enough
for me to probably never trust a 6F35. I had the thing reflashed 2xs
and with only that many miles fluid was almost black. Sorry, but its a
POS trans. Caused me to take a serious loss to get rid of it, in spite
of it being one of my favorite cars ever.

Originally Posted By: PTBH04
Having my 2012 Fusion SEL til it had 13000 or so miles was enough
for me to probably never trust a 6F35. I had the thing reflashed 2xs
and with only that many miles fluid was almost black. Sorry, but its a
POS trans. Caused me to take a serious loss to get rid of it, in spite
of it being one of my favorite cars ever.

+1

I had to get rid of my 2011 3.0 Fusion for the same reason. The rest of the car was really nice. Ford just would not acknowledge that there was a problem with the transmission. Several dealers in the area, same response. If they would have said ok, there is a problem and we will stand behind the product and get it fixed, then ok that is what they should have done. Nope, act dumb until you go away.

I'm a Ford guy too and now I'm driving a very well built Honda Accord.

With all these 6F35 issues, I wonder how the Fusion got top notch reliability scores from the Consumer Reports and JD Powers... Should I stop considering buying a used Fusion with the 6F35?

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
Should I stop considering buying a used Fusion with the 6F35?
yes. Get one with an Aisin and all will be fine.

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
With all these 6F35 issues, I wonder how the Fusion got top notch reliability scores from the Consumer Reports and JD Powers... Should I stop considering buying a used Fusion with the 6F35?

I don't think the problem is very widespread. The Fusion is still one of the most popular sedans on the road, and the 6F35 is in several very popular Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles. This transmission is here to stay. As you know, the internet is mostly where people come to vent their frustrations, as I have.

The bigger problem IMO is Ford not fixing the units that have problems.

I disagree. Lot of ppl complaining about the shifting of this trans, especially the 1-2 shift. And not that I put a lot of stock in consumer reports, they 6f35 has dinged the most recent reliability data. Just check if you don't agree. No excuse. The 6 spd in my Fusion Sport shifts the same everytime, cold or warm. Makes no difference. Makes no sense to me they can program one to shift and not the other. My ex-brother in law has a 2011 Fusions SEL w/3.0 engine that the trans is acting up bad. Only has 28,000 miles on it. Sorry, POS trans.

Originally Posted By: PTBH04
My ex-brother in law has a 2011 Fusions SEL w/3.0 engine that the trans is acting up bad. Only has 28,000 miles on it. Sorry, POS trans.
So can we clarify what vehicles have the 6F35 debacle of a trans? I thought the 3.0's had the Aisin F21 trans like my '07 does. I thought the Fusion sport with the 3.5 got the 6F35 POS.

just found it. The '09-present models use the 6F35 and the Fusion Sport with the 3.5L and the older Duratec's like mine use the Aisin's. That's a shame about this 6F35...

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

I also know that there are far fewer complaints about the GM unit. Which got me to thinking: maybe the reason for this is because GM's Dexron VI fluid is superior to Ford's Mercon LV? Licensed and approved Dexron VI is readily available and easy to find by a number of different brands, whereas Mercon LV still has no officially licensed aftermarket counterpart, and is for the most part a dealer-only item.

I don't know how it is possible but Maxlife ATF claims to be "suitable for use" in a slew of applications including Dex VI and Mercon LV:

Suitable for use in:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON®V, MERCON®SP and MERCON®LV applications
GM DEXRON®-II, DEXRON®-III and DEXRON®-VI applications
Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications
Hyundai/ KIA SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV and SPH-IV applications
Subaru ATF and ATF-HP applications
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS (except hybrids) applications
Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs) applications
Allison C4 and TES-389 applications
Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications
Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41
Volkswagen TL52162
Voith H55.6335.33(G607) and H55.6335.33(G1363) applications

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Our 2010 Escape (now with 31k miles) has the 6F35 transmission.

Around 25000 miles, the shifting was getting harsh. Delayed engagement into Drive at cold starts, banging/confused shifts, slipping, etc. Transmission fluid was BLACK.

Brought it to two Ford dealers, no problem found !!! They almost seemed proud to tell me that the fluid is 'supposed' to be black. Normal for newer transmissions they said.
shocked.gif

I finally bit the bullet and went to purchase 5 quarts of Mercon LV fluid. I drained out 4 or so quarts from the dipstick. Heres what I found...

On the right is the fluid I drained out at 27,000 miles on our 2wd Ford Escape Limited (v6). For comparison, left is new Mercon LV fluid:

29eom4o.jpg

We've never towed, rarely go past 3500RPMs, the truck hasnt EVER seen redline. We live in Michigan so its not extreme heat, compared to Arizona/Texas/Florida, nor is it freezing cold like North Dakota/Canada.

So yeah, count me in on the "no faith in the 6F35" club.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Our 2010 Escape (now with 31k miles) has the 6F35 transmission.

Around 25000 miles, the shifting was getting harsh. Delayed engagement into Drive at cold starts, banging/confused shifts, slipping, etc. Transmission fluid was BLACK.

Brought it to two Ford dealers, no problem found !!! They almost seemed proud to tell me that the fluid is 'supposed' to be black. Normal for newer transmissions they said.
shocked.gif

I finally bit the bullet and went to purchase 5 quarts of Mercon LV fluid. I drained out 4 or so quarts from the dipstick. Heres what I found...

On the right is the fluid I drained out at 27,000 miles on our 2wd Ford Escape Limited (v6). For comparison, left is new Mercon LV fluid:

29eom4o.jpg

We've never towed, rarely go past 3500RPMs, the truck hasnt EVER seen redline. We live in Michigan so its not extreme heat, compared to Arizona/Texas/Florida, nor is it freezing cold like North Dakota/Canada.

So yeah, count me in on the "no faith in the 6F35" club.

@Chriznat20:

Have you contacted Ford Corporate and asked to have a case opened on this issue. You should.

Call Ford Motor and politely but FIRMLY insist that they open a case for you and have a field rep inspect the vehicle and speak DIRECTLY with you. Don't let this go!

So based on this should I be concerned about my MIL's 2010 Escape?

It seems like I should since IMO the few times I did drive it was not the smoothest shifting vehicle I've ever been in.

My co-worker's 2009-or-10 Escape with 3.0L has the 6F35 also I believe. It shifts weird, but hasn't affected durability on his. He has close to 90k miles on it now as I recall. The 3.0L is a smooth engine, and the transmission lets it down some...but it's still rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back