Idemitsu (Honda) 0W-20, 3614 kms, Caterham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
CATERHAM - A great result!! Keep at it. I had a "similar" engine in the Opel Calibra I bought new in the mid 1990s - a fairly robust engine they are too

Paying particular attention to operating temperatures helps the process enormously

Nice CATERHAM! Don't sweat the haters; I know you don't. To heck with the picture; I want to see a video of you going around the track. Gopros are getting very reasonable now.

Last edited:
w00t!! 12/12/12

If there's one thing I learned from Caterham, it's I need an oil pressure gauge
grin.gif

The operational viscosities, except for 1 track session, are in the 30wt range. Mid grade at that for your street use. Not really running a 20wt IMO. Kind of like Dr. Hass(although his oils have a higher hths as you have correctly pointed out on many occasions).

Originally Posted By: 3311
The operational viscosities, except for 1 track session, are in the 30wt range. Mid grade at that for your street use. Not really running a 20wt IMO. Kind of like Dr. Hass(although his oils have a higher hths as you have correctly pointed out on many occasions).

+1.

The operational viscosities, except for 1 track session, are in the 30wt range. Mid grade at that for your street use.

The same could be said for almost every car running a 20W oil...the "functional viscosity" almost never matches the weight printed on the label, particularly since most vehicles spend most of their lives warming up to operating temperature. I doubt my own car has every seen 100C oil temps in the 135K miles of its life.

Not really running a 20wt IMO. Kind of like Dr. Hass(although his oils have a higher hths as you have correctly pointed out on many occasions).

Actually, it's not like that at all... AEHaas is running a "20W oil" with high hths when measured according to the standard measurement of 150C.

Originally Posted By: JOD
The operational viscosities, except for 1 track session, are in the 30wt range. Mid grade at that for your street use.

The same could be said for almost every car running a 20W oil...the "functional viscosity" almost never matches the weight printed on the label, particularly since most vehicles spend most of their lives warming up to operating temperature. I doubt my own car has every seen 100C oil temps in the 135K miles of its life.

Not really running a 20wt IMO. Kind of like Dr. Hass(although his oils have a higher hths as you have correctly pointed out on many occasions).

Actually, it's not like that at all... AEHaas is running a "20W oil" with high hths when measured according to the standard measurement of 150C.

Nevertheless, in both instances the operational viscosities are a bit misleading when you think of a vehicle being "tracked" with 0w20. Not casting aspersions at anyone or making an accusation that anyone was trying to be misleading, of just stating and observation.

Nevertheless, in both instances the operational viscosities are a bit misleading when you think of a vehicle being "tracked" with 0w20. Not casting aspersions at anyone or making an accusation that anyone was trying to be misleading, of just stating and observation.

Why not make the same observation on every other UOA? The only real difference is that in this case the owner knows the oil temperatures. The comparison to Aehaas' car is a false one, since this is a car being driven hard--the oil temps are just a function of the design, much like a lot of other cars. This isn't a supercar being driven as a grocery getter.

Why not make the same observation on every other UOA? The only real difference is that in this case the owner knows the oil temperatures. The comparison to Aehaas' car is a false one, since this is a car being driven hard--the oil temps are just a function of the design, much like a lot of other cars. This isn't a supercar being driven as a grocery getter.

What is false about it? You have two men extolling the virtues of thinner oils in sports car applications. I was pointing out that there is a little more to the story in each case. One has very moderate oil temps resulting in a thicker operational viscosity then you would initially think based on the hard usage stated by Caterham and the other gentlemen runs an oil with a much higher hths viscosity then a typical xw20.

Why do you have such an issue with this?

The TBN listed is higher than on the VOA's I've seen with this oil! I realize that there's some variance between labs, but it's still surprising.

I pulled a sample to send in from my last oil change with this oil, because I'm a bit lost on how long to run it--and I have a lot left!

Regardless, it looks good.

The reason is the 3 oz of RL Break-In Additive that I added to boost the phos' level (to 928 ppm). I didn't realize it at the time but the RL additive also contains a lot of calcium which also effectively increased the TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back