1MZ FE recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I'm new here, but I've been reading for a long time and finally decided to register to get an oil and filter recommendation.

I just bought a 2000 Soloara, knowing all about the 1MZ-FE. It was 100k on it, and I took a look under the valve cover before I bought it and it wasn't bad in there. The previous owner was religious on oil changes, taking it to Toyota for each one. According the records they had, they had been doing synthetic since at least 50k.

Knowing that this a known sludger, I'd like to keep it clean in there. I need to keep the car until I get through the rest of college (about 2 years).

I was considering using Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30 for the oil, and need a recommendation for the filter. I had been using M1 HM in the 5SFE I had in my last car.

What do you guys think?

Sean

Last edited:
Mobil 1 HM 5w-30 is a great choice for the 1mz-fe; that is what we use in ours. As far as a filter goes, you can't go wrong with a Purolator PureOne.

Welcome to BITOG

I use PP 5W-30 in both my 1MZ-FE motors, and it's a great oil. Keeps the engine clean, and consumes no oil.

I'm thinking of trying PP 5W-20 next OCI though, which will be sometime next week.

welcome2.gif

I run Pennzoil Platinum (PP) 5w-20 in my '03 Sienna (same engine - 1MZ FE). Once my current stash of oil is gone, I am moving to 0w-20 to try that. Your engine was back spec'd as well. See this link for the weight oil you can run:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143463

I have a Pureone filter on it now, but am switching to a Bosch Distance Plus on my next change. Our van is in town all the time, many short trips. I have had some oil analysis done, and I run 7500 miles last time, 6500 miles the OCI before that. Around a years worth of driving before changing the oil. The last analysis said I could have run to 8500 miles. I am not sure I will go that far.

I think the sludge issues are WAY overblown... The PVC system is the weak point, so save yourself some headache and replace the PVC valve. My '03 has the screw in type (newer type) yours is a pop in style..... I would not even check it, just get a new one and pop it in....

Welcome to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: DutchBrad
welcome2.gif

I run Pennzoil Platinum (PP) 5w-20 in my '03 Sienna (same engine - 1MZ FE). Once my current stash of oil is gone, I am moving to 0w-20 to try that. Your engine was back spec'd as well. See this link for the weight oil you can run:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143463

I have a Pureone filter on it now, but am switching to a Bosch Distance Plus on my next change. Our van is in town all the time, many short trips. I have had some oil analysis done, and I run 7500 miles last time, 6500 miles the OCI before that. Around a years worth of driving before changing the oil. The last analysis said I could have run to 8500 miles. I am not sure I will go that far.

I think the sludge issues are WAY overblown... The PVC system is the weak point, so save yourself some headache and replace the PVC valve. My '03 has the screw in type (newer type) yours is a pop in style..... I would not even check it, just get a new one and pop it in....

Welcome to BITOG!

I still have the ORIGINAL, OEM PCV valve in my 98 Camry with the same engine...

27.gif

I also have the 2003 Sienna.
The PCV valve on your 2000 Solara is located in the rear valve cover....kind of on the passenger side.
It is SUPER critical to make sure that it does not get clogged.

I have Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 in mine right now.
However, what you mention will also be fine.

I like a Oil Change Interval (OCI) of about 5K miles, but for you, it will depend upon how long it takes you to put 5K miles on.
If you drive a lot.....not many short trips....that is one thing.
However, if you drive very little....many short trips...then even 5K miles may be too long.
Short trips in cold weather can lead to moisture & acid buildup in the oil.
Longer trips give the engine a chance to warm up and evaporate out all the moisture.......through the PCV valve that we have mentioned.

The Oil analysis that was mentioned....
You can take a sample of your oil and send it in for analysis.
I have done this on another vehicle.....I seem to remember it costing about $40.
Blackstone labs will send you a sample kit and instructions for FREE.
The Sample kit includes a mailer container.
VERY easy process.
As mentioned .....they will tell you if you changed your oil in time....or ran it too long....or if there is some other oil issue with your engine.
There are MANY,MANY 1MZFE engines out there as many Toyota and Lexus vehicles used that engine.
That means that there is a lot of data as for as oil analysis that a company, such as Blackstone, can compare your sample to.
I have not had a analysis done on my Sienna, but it is a good idea if you are unsure about your oil.

I run a slightly longer filter on mine.
I have the Bosch Distance Plus on mine....D3422
It is identical to the D3330 that is listed for our engine...except that it is slightly longer.
It has the same gasket size, threads and pressure bypass settings.
There is room for it.

The Purolator Pure One is also an excellent filter. I have used them....they are made by the same company.....the Distance Plus is a step up from the Pure One.

In the FRAM line....I would use the XG3600 which is the longer version of the XG3614.
I have read that it is now called "Ultra" instead of "Extended Guard".

I have mentioned the FRAM XG series and the Bosch Distance Plus filters because they are very easy to find and are also available at Walmart......which has good prices on oil and filters.

Your engine also has a timing belt that is supposed to be changed every 90K miles.
Many folks also have the water pump changed at the same time....as the water pump is driven by the timing belt.....so you are paying all the labor of a timing belt job to have the water pump changed.
In my case......the local Toyota Dealership was cheaper than the local independent shop for the job......around $500 for the belt & water pump job.

I would recommend that you register your Solara for FREE on the Toyota website.
You will need your Vehicle Identification Number to do this.
This will give you access to a online version of your owner's manual (in case you don't have that) and also give you a record of ALL service performed at any Toyota dealership since the car was built.
It will also list any open Recalls that there may be for your vehicle.

Spark plugs.....Even though we have the same engine.
I have found that Toyota specifies a different spark plug number for different years.
The owner's manual AND the underhood Emissions sticker both list the Toyota specified plug brand and number.
My 2003 Sienna owner's manual lists both a DENSO and a NGK number.
I think yours will call for a DENSO PK20TR11 Spark plug....but please verify that.
It is a real pain to change the rear 3 plugs, so you want to put in the correct plug that will last.
I got the number from the Toyotapartszone website.
I purchasing parts from a Toyota Dealership website such as that (there are others), it is BEST to use your Vehicle Identification Number to search for the parts that are most appropriate for your specific vehicle.

I use nothing but castrol gtx, gtx hm, chevron supreme, mobil super 5000, with fram orange filter, and toyota oem oil filter.

2006 camry v6 1mz-fe 3.0l 285,000 miles and still strong.

I recommend toyota oem filter, wix or mobil oil filter. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back