02 CR-V exhaust manifold/cat con issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well fudge...

I had an earlier thread on a CEL related to my o2 sensors/catalytic converter here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=184619&Number=2781610

But the problem has blossomed. Long story short, I replaced my converter and o2 sensors back in October to cure a cel. This was my second converter purchase, after buying a cheap one in 2009 that, as I discovered, burned up somewhere along the way.

Anyhow, when I first replaced my converter back in 2009, I snapped one of the bolts when putting the new one on. I took it to a neighborhood garage to fix. Flash forward to my recent repair job and shortly after slapping on the new converter, I noticed what I thought was a slight exhaust leak. I wasn't getting CELs but I thought I was hearing a random leak when shifting. So I bought new spring bolts (and nuts!) for the flange where the converter mates up to the manifold. Only...I couldn't get them to fit right. Waaay too much effort to get enough of the bolt through to put a nut on.

So today I dropped it off at an exhaust shop to have them deal with it. They called me back and said there was nothing they could do, it looked like the part didn't fit right. I mentioned the previous history, which got an "aha!" out of the mechanic. I'd forgotten, until telling him, about the previous guys a few years back drilling out the old bolt. Seems they decided to do the same on the other side, for some reason, and so both sides require a nut to mate w/ the bolt. Only, stock bolts weren't meant for a nut, since there is a nut welded/incorporated into the exhaust manifold flange. So I was trying to push the bolts in well beyond their intended depth, which is why they wouldn't go.

So my question is this: Which would be the easiest way to proceed? By a new (used) manifold w/ original threads intact (online prices seem to range between $75-150), have someone remove current manifold and grind down existing nut "protrusions" for lack of a better word, or look for longer bolts that could be made to work???

The guy I took it to was afraid to "open a new can worms" by trying to rig things but would a better exhaust/muffler shop be more willing to do something? The space is too confined to try and grind on the flange while its on the car so the manifold would have to be removed for either grinding OR (obviously) for replacement... Blargh...I'm not used to having car troubles anymore...

The best solution is probably removing the manifold from the car, welding new nuts to the flange, and re-installing. I came across a similar issue when replacing the donut gasket on our CR-V. The bolts didn't snap, but it took liberal use of penetrating spray and my impact driver to get them out. I put them in with a fair amount of silver anti-seize. I had to remove them about 6 months later to replace the donut gasket again (OEM Honda this time, instead of Walker aftermarket) and the bolts were pretty easy to remove. No problems since.

So yeah...get the manifold off and weld new nuts to it, and ensure the bolts are installed with a liberal application of anti-seize.

Yeah, I also put on a new gasket with the new bolts and I think that certainly made the job tougher, given it hadn't been compressed like the one on there already. I got off the phone w/ a custom exhaust shop and they made it sound like it was probably something they could do easy. So I'll find out in a bit. Fingers crossed.

I also hate to say I'll probably have the rest of the exhaust off in the futre, as I do indeed hear bits of catalyst rattling around in the muffler when I shake it. Might be the remaining restriction keeping down my mpg...

Yes, remove it and do it right if the vehicle is worth keeping. If its just a random noise with no CEL or drivability/efficiency/exhaust ingress issues, and the car isnt worth much, Id just go to McMaster Carr and get some copper or stainless hardware, make a better setup and leave it as-is.

Bwhahaha! Silly me I only thought it was a leak. Mechanic/muffler guy says the alignment of the exhaust tubing is off and what I'm hearing it the converter hitting the floor periodically... So he's basically having to fab a new inlet side to make it fit correctly.

The car is definitely a keeper. No other issues. The only major work I've ever had on it is the a/c replaced (the 2nd gen cr-v was notorious for that) partially on Honda's dime. It's 10 years old and rust free and cosmetically great. Plus it still only has 137k miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back