My JASO-MA Oil for my ATV s Diesel Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Honda Rubicon ATV which requires wet clutch oil. I read on another forum that Shell Rotella T6 Diesel Engine oil is JASO-MA approved and that it runs great in wet clutch atv's and motorcycles. The best part is that 5L jugs can be purchased cheaply at Wally World. So, off to Wally I go and get a jug of Rotella T6 5W-40. I put it in my quad and it runs great!

You're not alone. I'm sure a lot of other diesel oils would also pass JASO-MA but Rotella as far as I know is the only one with it listed on the jug.

And if you don't start it in very cold temps, then Rotella T 15w-40 is even cheaper and meets the specifications of JASO MA as well. It is also more shear stable than T6.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And if you don't start it in very cold temps, then Rotella T 15w-40 is even cheaper and meets the specifications of JASO MA as well. It is also more shear stable than T6.

Winters are cold here and my garage is not heated. So, I'll stick with the 5w-40.

So you ride your ATV through the winter? I thought you'd switch to a snowmobile.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So you ride your ATV through the winter? I thought you'd switch to a snowmobile.
smile.gif

I have considered at times on getting a sled for the winter, but 2 things hold me back on that. First, it may be cold here, but we sometimes do not get enough snow for a sled. Last winter was a perfect example of that. Secondly, I am not very mechanically inclined at fixing these toys so the quad is more than enough to keep me busy.

Last edited:
I happy the T6 works well for you. My brother put it in his '10 Rancher 420 FI, and the shifting was very hard. He ran it about (10) hours and replaced it with Honda Genuine oil, and I'll admit, it was legitamately smoother. I was going to try and save him some money with a synthetic oil, but was a futile attempt.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...122#Post2713122

Check out the UOA of T6 in a Brute Force 750 quad. I'll be moving my Brute 750 to T6 from the Rotella T I'm using now. Some excellent numbers when you consider how these V-Twins really rear up oils.

I picked up another 5L jug of T6 from Wally World this evening while I was there. That one should get me thru the winter.

Maybe your Rubicon doesn't run hot?? Kawi 750 V-Twin's run [censored] hot!!! Oil cooler brings most of the Brute's from around 230F/240F to the 200F/210F mark and has the added benefit of increasing oil capacity. Mine went from 2.7qts. to just under 4qts.

Pretty easy install 2.

I've always considered using diesel oil...I've never had the guts to try tho... I've always ran amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil. No problems,no ticking on cold starts long oci's buttery smooth shifting.. I have a 2002 honda 250ex. To this day dosent burn a drop of oil

I have run this same Rotella in my Honda Foreman, Honda Rancher, Suzuki King Quad and a myriad of others with no issues for years..it is great oil.

BTW for those who don't know, ATVs ride great in the winter given a decent tire and skilled throttle control, I have floated on top of snow so deep I couldn't find the bottom (with a branch or my legs). All the more fun I say!

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
I run Amsoil 0w40 ATV oil in mine. The oil stays golden so each year I just change the oil filter.

Are you saying you never change your oil and just the filter only?

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
I run Amsoil 0w40 ATV oil in mine. The oil stays golden so each year I just change the oil filter.

Are you saying you never change your oil and just the filter only?

So far...it's been 2 years on the ATV. Each Spring I replaced the filter at this point. Also my Kohler engine on the riding lawnmower is staying golden with Amsoil commercial 30w. It has been 3 seasons and still looks good, might do a total change in the Spring.

So far at this point, I have just replaced the oil filters each Spring. I know that either this Spring or Summer a total oil change will be nessessary. Not lazy and No I am not pushing never changing oil, but hate to throw out good/clean oil. I am sure any group 4/5 oil can do what Amsoil did as well.

So far...it's been 2 years on the ATV. Each Spring I replaced the filter at this point. So far at this point, I have just replaced the oil filters each Spring. I know that either this Spring or Summer a total oil change will be nessessary. Not lazy and No I am not pushing never changing oil, but hate to throw out good/clean oil. I am sure any group 4/5 oil can do what Amsoil did as well.

So it is not a shared sump with the transmission? My Brute Force would shred that into near water viscosity; no way I could leave it in there for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back