Oil for Ford 8N Tractor??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's cousin has a Ford 8N tractor and its owner's manual calls for use of 30 weight engine oil in the summer. He has been using 30w HD oil in it for years. This tractor is a 1950 model and has a gasoline powered, 2.0 liter (119.7 cu.in.), 4 cylinder engine that makes about 25 hp.

He is wanting to use a multigrade oil so that it's easier to start in the winter but will have adequate viscosity for summer. He doesn't use the tractor very much so only wants to change the oil once a year.

What oil would you guys recommend for this application?

I was thinking maybe Rotella or Delo 400 15W-40.

We have no idea where he lives, so not really sure if a 30 or 40 grade would be "better" one way or another, but presuming he's midwest like you, I'd say either a 10w-30 or 15w-40 HDEO. Any brand would suffice.

My current suggestion would be T5 10w-30; it's been very cheap at W/M recently (on a cost par with conventional).

A lot is going to depend upon the condition of the engine.

If the engine is in good condition, the oil pressure is good, then you can use either a 10W-30, 10W-40 or 15W-40.

If the engine is a bit tired, then stick with 15W-40. Sythetic oils are an utter waste of money on these engines. Even the most primitive conventional you can find is far superior to what they were designed with.

My choice for all 4 of my N's (each of which I've rebuilt from the ground up) is Rotella 15W-40. Even in the dead of winter, the 6 volt system has no trouble starting them with Rotella.

Be very careful about running anything such as a 5W or 0W, especially if the engine is a bit worn. They have a habit of losing prime when the solder joint around the pickup tube gets weak after years of vibration.

I friend of mine has a 1950 8N that has had Delo 400 15W-40 in the pan since the engine was rebuilt. It doesn't use oil and holds good oil pressure. The tractor lives in south west Colorado so it is subjected to extreme climate changes. Even when it is cold, the engine has no problem starting with its 6v electrical system.

Thanks guys. The tractor is in the Midwest (northern MO), so it does see quite a range of extremes. I'm going to tell him any 15W-40 will do just fine.

Tim

Convert it too 12v or use starting fluid in cold weather.

My 9n gets Non-detergent 30 weight and I've never had a problem starting it in temps well below 0.

I have a 42 9N, essentially the same engine. Mine is well used, I just put the cheapest 10W-40 oil in it. Last time it was WM Supertech oil. Works fine for me, I still have good oil pressure. No problems starting on 12v conversion. Most of my use is for plowing snow in winter, so I wanted the lower cold viscosity vs a straight weight.

My recommendation, don't overthink it. The engines are so basic and as stated, any modern oil is a vast improvement over what they used originally. 15W-40 diesel oil is fine. I would not spend the money for synthetic unless it is a fresh rebuild.

BTW, the trans, rearend and 3-point all use the same sump and fluid: GL-1 90 Weight Mineral Oil. When it is cold, I have to let mine warm up a bit before the 3-point will lift. You can get the old GL-1 at Tractor Supply, or use any 90W that is yellow metal safe.

We have a 1951 8N which I rebuilt in 1981 and still runs fine year around in South Dakota where winters drop to -20 or -30 F. Any good quality multigrade synthetic such as 5W-30 or 5W-40 will do the job and I wouldn't hesitate using 0W-30 or 0W-40 like a Mobil 1 synthetic. Many older engines recommended oils which were current at the time, oils now are significant improvements over those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back