Anyone heard of "smoke testing" a vacuum system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across an article that talked about "smoke testing" the vacuum system on a car. I never heard of that! I googled it, and came across these ideas/suggestions.

This is definitely something I want to do on my MK III. I know I still have some leaks somewhere, I just need to find them!

Has anyone done this before?

If so, how did you do it?

Where can I buy a "smoke machine"?

Here's the stuff I found:

There is a "back yard mechanic technique". I did it to find my exhaust leak and later a vacuum leak. I went to a party shop and bought a Party Smoke machine for $29.99.

This is one, but it is more expensive:

http://www.diamondlakerental.com/images/FogMachine.jpg

I put a Rubber hose on it and then reduced or increase it to the size of the orifice I was testing. In this case an exhaust. I ran the smoke through the tail pipe and voilla! smoke came out of my exhaust donut location, not the exhaust manifold (like I expected). The fog juice runs about $8 a quart and lasts a while. This fog machine is even fun to have around for holloween. And this stuff runs on the same fog stuff that the expensive machines use!
To find a vacuum leak, just make sure the car is not running and hook it into the intake manifold (I used the intake manifold vacuum connector that goes to brake booster, it is usually a pretty good size.) Blast the smoke thru and you will see it come out of the leaking hose!

For an even more backyard way(and this is for a vacuum leak) is to run the car and use an unlit propane/butane torch. When the vacuum sucks it up you will hear an audible increase in the vehicles rpms and can "pinpoint" leaks that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfiQ7qWiG-M

I would just buy me a nice Cuban cigar, a good six pack, and proceed to test away. Just kidding of course. but at least you would enjoy the afternoon.
10.gif

Hey kids, but I've actually tested for leaks that way. Blowing cigar smoke through a vacuum tube to see where it leaks out.

Definitely works!

They also sell spray test smoke for smoke detectors. I have or had a can. Loaned it to a coworker who found out one of his 4 smoke detectors did not work.

So test your smoke detectors and your car with one can of stuff.

As long as its done right its a great way to find those hard to find vacuum leaks.

You have to be careful with the automotive smoke machines because they can and will create pressure. Most systems do not recommend going over 1 or 2 PSI in the evap lines. Just a warning if you have never used one before and do buy it.Be very careful not to over pressurize the lines or you can damage expensive components.

Lots of discussion on this at another site I participate in.
Would not use it for EVAP tests

From Smokewizard.com

Why do you recommend using an inert gas, such as nitrogen, when testing the EVAP system?

First of all, the requirement of using nitrogen is a requirement by most of the automakers using smoke technology today. Normally, the fuel tank environment is actually too rich in hydrocarbons and too lacking in oxygen to burn. Laboratory tests show that 11% of oxygen is all that is needed to be mixed with fuel vapors in order to sustain combustion. Therefore, introducing air containing 21% oxygen can easily convert the vehicle’s vapor space to a flammable state. The only thing that would be missing to create a fire or explosion is an ignition source. And as we all know, shop environments are full of potential ignition sources external to the fuel tank. Also, many of today’s electric fuel pump systems are contained inside the fuel tank, along with a portion of the wiring harness. It is not unusual to see overheated wires or short circuits at the fuel pump inside the fuel tank, creating a potential ignition source inside the fuel tank. On the other hand, a common nitrogen supply typically contains less than 1% oxygen, making it impossible to sustain combustion in the fuel tank.

That's an interesting mi match of "facts" about combustion.

The 11% is the point at which a burning item will extinguish, in industry, nitrogen and CO2 are used to displace normal air to below this concentration, to allow personnel to escape, while killing flame.

The flammability of the petrol vapours is different, requiring from 1.5% to 7.5% (give or take) volume percent of the air in which the vapours are mixed...i.e. you could mix 9/10 of the tank volume of air with the vapours, and still be at no risk of explosion.

As to the idea of a smoke test....awesome, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of it. We use it to test asbestos removal encapsulations to great effect.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Hey kids, but I've actually tested for leaks that way. Blowing cigar smoke through a vacuum tube to see where it leaks out.

Definitely works!

+1

Leaks can be on vacuum only - no or reverse pressure may not show a leak.
If you are lucky, great!
A big leak will how up easier with smoke.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Why not just use a MityVac? That's how I test for vacuum leaks.

It won't work.
Most engine
vacuum lines are an open, not closed, system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back