ryobi 4-stroke to the curb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated to do it.... it's 2 years old, straight shaft trimmer.

1. it empties the entire contents of the gas tank whenever it is stored, even when stored flat. I have no idea why. If you hang it, it leaks (drips) out. and the cylinder hydrolocks with oil. I store it flat, on a shelf.

2. It never started that well.

3. must be used level (no rotating) or else it fogs the neighborhood with crank case oil and stalls

4. leaks everywhere

5. requires constant idle adjustment

6. entire plastic body must be removed to access the spark plug, which must be done frequently if it has hydrolocked. Like yesterday.

7. not built for longevity - timing belt and both sprockets are completely exposed underneath the plastic cover. (that's minor, I could live with that).

I felt awfully bad to do it, but I was furious. I spend more time starting it and defueling it after each use than I do using it.

Are there any decent 4-stroke trimmers out there?

Last edited:
Sounds like you made a good decision to me,what a POS.My cheap WEED EATER brand has been doing very good so far.

Husqvarba and Stihl make quality OPE...I have fired up my Husky chainsaws after they've sat for a year with zero issues...but I DO recommend using ethanol-free gasoline if the equipment sits for any length of time...

meep, I had similar issues with a Troy-Bilt 4-stroke, straight shafter I tried some years ago.

I returned it to Lowes after nearly a year of ownership and they allowed me to exchange it for the Husqvarna 2-stroke I still use today.

Joel

maybe I should stick with the 2 stroke. but i prefer the easier stars of a 4-stroke...never had a 2-er that started nicely after sitting up... mine tend to only get used monthly during peak growing times.

I only have to use a trimmer maybe 6-8 times per year, so they sit a bit. do the husq's and stihls handle that ok?

I have a 4 stroke cub cadet weedeater. I hate 4 stroke. They do start well and run well, but they are heavy! After a bit of trimming its tiring. Bolt on the brush cutter and its even heavier. If you trim a good bit, get a 2 stroke. If you don't trim that much, get a rechargeable.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have a 4 stroke cub cadet weedeater. I hate 4 stroke. They do start well and run well, but they are heavy! After a bit of trimming its tiring. Bolt on the brush cutter and its even heavier. If you trim a good bit, get a 2 stroke. If you don't trim that much, get a rechargeable.

Either run premix, or use premix for the last run of the year. It should be trouble free. From a gas perspective. Also mice like to chew the gas lines of 4-cycle much more than 2 cycle. Or they might.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am not sure why you want a 4 cycle. For stuff like leaf blowers and weed whackers, I think 2 cycle is the way to go.

Get a decent Husqvarna 2 cycle.

+1. 2 cycle is the way to go for hand held power equipment. Like another poster said 4 stroke is much heavier, and you have the added hassle of having to change the oil, etc. I had to work on a 4 stroke weedwacker once and it was a big hassle. Way too much stuff crammed in there, and like you said it required dismantling basically the whole machine to just change a spark plug.

Husqvarna makes some great 2 stroke equipment. They are very well built and reliable machines. Stay away from the cheap home depot and walmart Weed Eater machines. Some have had good luck with them but they seem to be hit and miss quality wise. Some last 5 years, others last 5 months.

I always thought mixing gas for 2 strokes was kind of a pain, but it beats changing the oil in a 4 stroke weedwacker with an eye dropper.
lol.gif

I've had such awful experiences with mid-grade power equipment (MTD/Troy-Bilt, Poulan Pro, etc.) that I'm only buying Stihl and Husqvarna 2-stroke OPE from now on. My Husqvarna 455 Rancher starts easily. I've used only ethanol-free 91 octane.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I've had such awful experiences with mid-grade power equipment (MTD/Troy-Bilt, Poulan Pro, etc.) that I'm only buying Stihl and Husqvarna 2-stroke OPE from now on. My Husqvarna 455 Rancher starts easily. I've used only ethanol-free 91 octane.

MTD is an awful company. Back in the 1980s they built some okay stuff, but now they are terrible. I fix small engines on the side as a hobby. Most of the machines with big issues are MTD. Even abused Craftsman machines hold up much better. I recently dismantled a shed stored 2 year old MTD tractor. The engine was still good (V-Twin Briggs and Stratton), but the rest was junk. The frame had cracked in a few places, the steering was shot, the mower deck spindles were shot, the deck was flimsy and rotting through already, and the transmission barely worked. Everything on it was plastic, and the frame was so thin I could bend it back and forth with vice grips.

I've learned by working on machines that it is ALWAYS worth it to pay a little more up front for quality. You will spend much more in the long run fixing a cheap machine or not getting your money's worth out of it.

I bought a honda 4 stroke weed trimmer eight years ago after throwing a number of cheapo 2 strokes away (McCulloch, Poulan, Red thing from home depot.

This unit has given zero problems, uses about .25 -.33 quarts of oil, changed rarely and is like night and day compared to disposables.

It is perhaps a tad heavier, but is much smarter money.

Apologies to those with Stihl, or other higher-end machine. I don't mean to tar your fine products with this brush.

My 4 stroke Honda trimmer is a joy! Starts on the first pull every time. Maintenance is nil - an oil change takes about a minute. It costs more initially but will be far less expensive in the long run. I can't imagine owning anything but a Honda.

We have a MTD Yardman mower from the mid 90s and it's still going strong.

Back in 2007 my mother hit a pipe (long story) and it started vibrating. Replaced the blade and it still vibrates. It's been running for 5 years with a bent crankshaft!

Biggest issue as of late was the plastic intake manifold broke. Nothing a little duct tape couldn't fix.

I can't do rechargable or electric.... total lot is close to 3/4 acre, and while I don't trim every time I mow, it's a heavy load when I do.

One thing I'm noticing is the husq's and stihl's don't favor "attachments." is that more of a big-box feature?

Husq does have a 4-cycle, if I'm that set on it.... I neck strap, and I'm coming from a 4-stroke machine, so I'm not as concerned about weight there.

Last edited:
I bought a honda 4 stroke weed trimmer eight years ago after throwing a number of cheapo 2 strokes away (McCulloch, Poulan, Red thing from home depot.

This unit has given zero problems, uses about .25 -.33 quarts of oil, changed rarely and is like night and day compared to disposables.

It is perhaps a tad heavier, but is much smarter money.

Apologies to those with Stihl, or other higher-end machine. I don't mean to tar your fine products with this brush.

I have one of the cheaper Stihl 2 stroke trimmers (cant remember the model). It is probably 12 years old and still runs great. My yard is over an acre, so it gets a lot of use. All I have ever done is replace the fuel lines about 5 years ago, and a new spark plug every 3 or 4 years. I use the stihl Ultra synthetic oil and non ethanol gas if I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back