Gun Safes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of gun safes do fellow BITOG members keep their firearms in?

I do not currently own one, but plan on changing that soon. Looking into Liberty Safes at the moment, but hope to get ideas from this thread.

Post away! Pics are always encouraged!

I've got a 60 minute Liberty.

I stumbled across it at Lowe's of all places. They had it marked down about 80% after it didn't sell for months.

It had a couple scratches in the finish but I wasn't gonna complain about paying $300 for a $1500 safe.
smile.gif

+1 for Liberty Safes.

I don't have one, but I want one bad, and I have for awhile. I shopped around while I was in a Apartments and you can feel the quality of everything.
The welds, the locks, the number of active bolts, everything is of better quality than of the other guys.

If you begin to research safes and how you can brake into them you begin to understand why everyone goes cheap. Safes are hard to make the way that they should be.

Right now I have a cheapo metal container that is bolted to the studs behind it and to the concrete under it. But if you hit it with a 36" or a 42" pry bar I'm sure you'd be in it within 5-10 minutes.

How many times in your life will you buy a safe? If you have one chance, buy something that is bigger than what you think you need, and buy the one you WANT.
Passports, birth certificates, titles, deeds, all kinds of paperwork end up inside a good safe. Along with any gold, silver, gemstones, and heirlooms. Unfortunately people, including wives think safes are just for Guns.

About quality and electronic locks. If the safe is an inconvenience to get into, due to cheap temperamental locks, poor hinges, or it's ugly so you keep it in the garage, you won't use it for the little things. You will either lock them up and never use those, or you will pull out the family jewels and if you do get burglarized they will be gone because it was too much of a hassle to continually lock them up and go back for them.

Just some food for thought.

I have a Liberty Centurion 20 at my office that is UL rated as a Residential Security Container.

I have one Centurion 13 (no longer made, I think) at each home, which do not carry any UL rating, IIRC.

Be advised not all Liberty safes are U.S. made - the Centurions ^^^ above are China imports.

Lowes used to sell these Centurions really cheap, and then around Christmas would knock another $175-$300 off, depending on the model, and would deliver to boot. That's how I wound up with the ones I have.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

Passports, birth certificates, titles, deeds, all kinds of paperwork end up inside a good safe. Along with any gold, silver, gemstones, and heirlooms. .....

This kind of stuff belongs in a safety deposit box in a bank vault. I don't keep stuff like this in one of my "safes" except on a temporary basis until I can get it to the bank.

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

Passports, birth certificates, titles, deeds, all kinds of paperwork end up inside a good safe. Along with any gold, silver, gemstones, and heirlooms. .....

This kind of stuff belongs in a safety deposit box in a bank vault. I don't keep stuff like this in one of my "safes" except on a temporary basis until I can get it to the bank.

But the purpose of a safe is to have it on hand for when you want to use it.

For example take Jewelry, I know my wife isn't going to go down the the bank the day of a Christmas Party just to go get her Grandmother's nice stuff.

Or if you start traveling internationally for business. Kinda tough to work around bank schedules, especially during holiday season.

Safety deposit boxes are a good idea though for most other documents.

I just wish I was important enough and had enough $$ to need both the awesome safe and a safety deposit box!

I've got a Heritage safe. Beautiful hunter green with gold striping and electronic lock. It looks like fine furniture and looks great in my home office. I've had it for nearly 10 trouble free years. Not one lick of trouble with the electronic lock either. It is a great safe..but VERY heavy!

Stack-On here. For a while I had the bottom filled with ammo to help deter "easy" movement.

I thought about something better, but since it sits next to my workbench (you know, where I keep all my power tools) I figure its purpose is to just keep the curious out. Anyone breaking into it would have had to break into my house first; after that, it's kinda a moot point: it's all criminal.

Besides, what I keep in my safe is barely worth more than my safe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back