MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many of you know, MaxLife 5w20 is a blend and there is no full Synthetic 5w20 MaxLife.

I asked Valvoline on their FB page whether they had any plans to produce that grade. Here is there response:

Quote:
Thank you very much for your question. We are exploring a MaxLife synthetic 5w20 and are in discussions with retailers to determine if there is room on the shelf for it. No launch date is set at this time.

thumbsup2.gif

fyi, the red bottle 5w20 MaxLife blend does have a good slug of synthetic in it.

Mobil gave the same response to me about Mobil1 HM oils: a 5w/20 version is under active consideration. They went on to say there are no plans to make Mobil1 HM oils "SN" compliant as they want to keep the added anti-wear additives allowed with "SL" (ZDDP, I expect).

Originally Posted By: Danh
Mobil gave the same response to me about Mobil1 HM oils: a 5w/20 version is under active consideration. They went on to say there are no plans to make Mobil1 HM oils "SN" compliant as they want to keep the added anti-wear additives allowed with "SL" (ZDDP, I expect).
Funny i got about the same response last year,they want to keep the SL additive pack witch IMO is great if one has an older engine(or any engine) and wants the added inti wear and detergents.

From a shop point of view, there is unfortunately no reason for it. Whoever uses HM oils out of our customer base, they neither do an extended drain, nor have money/inclination to use Full Syn oil. Especially when the blend works SO good. They kinda made an awesome product at a great price point. Now they are having a hard time competing with it.
Especially after the blend just got reformulated to officially exceed Dexos specifications. ( Note I didnt say licensed )

If it was available, I would use it in a heartbeat. Sadly I doubt the market will react as enthusiastically.

^ +1

Good point bourne. The red bottle 5w30 MaxLife does indeed meet dexos 1, meaning it's a good product.

Originally Posted By: bourne
They kinda made an awesome product at a great price point. Now they are having a hard time competing with it.

Great point.

No biggie whoop comparing a group III faux syn to a group II+ plus grp IV blend - I'll take the blend over the group III - the blend will have better lubricity - extreme cold flow isnt important to 95%. No pricy fauxsyn has beat my accidental Franken brew I'm running now. Probem is, I cant EXACTLY duplicate it. ELF racing experience showed that blend worked better overall than high groups alone.

Last edited:
haaaaaa nice. ARCO, I think you may be right about the blend being II/IV, but how do you know? Just curious. Thanks!

Oh just guessing, Opps actually meant gp II+/V for a current ILSAC spec lube. Read Many articles out there about using fatty acid esters (and of cousre other magic dust) for improving fuel eco with GF5, though I cant footnote one here. Probably exist no gpIV in the valvoline at all. GF5 is required to surpass a majority IV base standard test oil to be rated as such.

In Canada MaxLife is already priced like a synthetic at $6.50/qt regular price at WalMart the last time I checked.
There are plenty of high quality full synthetics with regular prices less than that which is why the brand is not on my radar screen.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
In Canada MaxLife is already priced like a synthetic at $6.50/qt regular price at WalMart the last time I checked.
There are plenty of high quality full synthetics with regular prices less than that which is why the brand is not on my radar screen.

Here in the US a 5 qt jug is exactly 2 bucks more than name brand dino's, you get quite a bit for that 2 bucks, coupled with some great marketing it's very popular here.

But another 3 bucks more will get you into entry level full syns if that's your thing, so Maxlife is postioned well for the US market IMO.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Here in the US a 5 qt jug is exactly 2 bucks more than name brand dino's, you get quite a bit for that 2 bucks, coupled with some great marketing it's very popular here.

But another 3 bucks more will get you into entry level full syns if that's your thing, so Maxlife is postioned well for the US market IMO.

KCJeep, no argument about Valvoline's marketing/pricing being very effective for them; they know their market.
But in Canada you can get a premium full syn' OEM 0W-20 for almost a buck less per litre. Of course the oil packaging is very bland.

Originally Posted By: buster
^ +1

Good point bourne. The red bottle 5w30 MaxLife does indeed meet dexos 1, meaning it's a good product.

Does the silver bottle, ML Synthetic 5W-30 also meet Dexos 1 specs??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Does the silver bottle, ML Synthetic 5W-30 also meet Dexos 1 specs??

Not sure. Im going to say no because it is not resource conserving.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Even here, it's not so bad. Certainly, as CATERHAM points out, there are plenty of nifty deals around. Generally speaking, though, at the usual retailers, the HM stuff is a few dollars more. The only synthetic at such retailers that goes to the same low price would be Valvoline or sometimes PP when they're rolled back.

Fast forward to 2015...

Has anyone seen this oil in full Syn ?

The Valvoline Product Information sheet lists 0w and 5w-20 but I haven't been able to find it.

I only see 5w and 10w-30 in my stores.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Fast forward to 2015...

Has anyone seen this oil in full Syn ?

The Valvoline Product Information sheet lists 0w and 5w-20 but I haven't been able to find it.

I only see 5w and 10w-30 in my stores.

At least not yet down here.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
They still only make 5W-30 & 10W-30 in Full Synthetic MaxLife - that's all most people really need, even if you have an old high mileage car that spec'd 5W-20.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/high-mileage-motor-oil/3#

Based on the link you provided, Valvoline does make a 5w-20 and 0w-20 fully synthetic MaxLife. Whether it actually exists on store shelves is another story; I'd like to buy 5w-20 but haven't found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back