Hunting with some unusual guns..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd share a couple pictures of deer I shot with some of my oddball guns this year.

First was at about 50yds with my Styer M95 in 8x56R. I was using handloaded 205gr Hornady bullets.

styer.jpg

Second was at about 30yds with my Dan Wesson .357 Maximum. I'm shooting 180gr XTP's in that at around 1700fps.

357max.jpg

Both one shot kills and neither ran very far. I was just curious if anyone else likes to leave the 'real hunting' rifles at home and try something different.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I was just curious if anyone else likes to leave the 'real hunting' rifles at home and try something different.

I took an M1A (M14) hunting. After 2 days of carrying that heavy thing around I appreciated the M-16 I had to carry in the Army. I also took a Benelli Super 90 M1 Hunting. I never seen anything while I was using those to. My usual hunting rifle is a Marlin 444. I always wanted to try hunting with my Hawken (clone) .54 caliber Muzzle Loader. The problem is that muzzle loaders sometimes throw out flames, and I don't want to burn down the forest, so I never took it out. I wanted to try my 9mm or 45ACP handgun, but I am not sure a deer would drop quickly. The deer where I hunt are about 80 to 90 pounds gutted. I figure if a 9mm or 45 ACP could drop a 200 pound human, it should be able to drop a deer.

That is awesome ! I too love the oddball calibers and reloading. My xmas gift this year is a Stag 7L in 6.8 SPC. Can't wait to get that one going.

Other odd calibers I've used deer hunting is 225 Win, 6mm, 30-40 krag, 8mm Rem Mag, 35 Whelen and a 416 weatherby mag. I don't own most of these now but had fun with every one of them.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
The deer where I hunt are about 80 to 90 pounds gutted. I figure if a 9mm or 45 ACP could drop a 200 pound human, it should be able to drop a deer.

80 or 90lbs gutted? We call those dogs around here!

I've always wanted to take a deer with my grandpa's 6.5 Arisaka, but alas, we can't use rifles in the part of the state I live in. Too many retarded idiots driving deer towards each other (party hunting). I say natural selection...

.416 Weatherby should get the job done on deer, dont want to be undergunned. How was the recoil and muzzle blast?

Got a few deer with my 62 cal. English Fowler flintlock (smoothbore). Patched roundball w/ 3F Goex.

Originally Posted By: PostalBound
That is awesome ! I too love the oddball calibers and reloading. My xmas gift this year is a Stag 7L in 6.8 SPC. Can't wait to get that one going.

Other odd calibers I've used deer hunting is 225 Win, 6mm, 30-40 krag, 8mm Rem Mag, 35 Whelen and a 416 weatherby mag. I don't own most of these now but had fun with every one of them.

Yeah I would think that 416 would do the job.. Not sure what part of Kentucky you live in, but we hunt in Adair county.

Nice shots!

Love that Dan Wesson, almost bought one a while ago. Now that I look back at it, I should have.

My Marlin 1895G guide gun is the only oddball I have, looks about the total length of your Styer there. Packs a wallop with the 430 grain 45-70's. Never had to track a deer with that rifle, they fall over right where they stood.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gomes512
Nice shots!

Love that Dan Wesson, almost bought one a while ago. Now that I look back at it, I should have.

My Marlin 1895G guide gun is the only oddball I have, looks about the total length of your Styer there. Packs a wallop with the 430 grain 45-70's. Never had to track a deer with that rifle, they fall over right where they stood.

Nice I have a stainless guide gun that I like a lot. I shoot 300gr remingtons. It does a great job on hogs and deer!

My MAIN bolt gun I hunt with is a WW2 Long Branch Enfield 303 Brit gun. It has been cut down to a carbine and has a low magnification scope on it.

The 8mm Steyr, 8mm Mauser, 303 Enfield, and just about all those mil surp guns make good meat guns. Properly loaded they are all in the same field as the 308 or venerable 30-06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back