Oil change time interval - infrequent driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few older vehicles. Several of them have not been driven regularly this past year. So, mileage in past year is from around 800 to maybe 1500 - 1800.

Is it necessary to change the oil after a certain time period even if the miles are under what is normally advised?

Can you go past a year? If so, how long? Anyone here done analysis of oil with a long time interval, but not over miles?

I am curious both for dino oil and synthetic.

One is dino, Castrol, good filter.

Other is synthetic.

Thanks

You can easily go more than a year,Ive done over two years before,UOAs have showed oils are still perfectly fine a year in service.

In CA (unless you're at the top of a mountain, or they're left outside all year long at the beach or in the desert) there is very little environmental pressure... 2-3 years minimum is probably OK.

Cheers!

I'm at 13 months for the dino and 17 months for the synthetic.

I do care a lot about the vehicles, but don't want to just listen to people saying change at 3000 miles or 6 months, just because they always have.

This board seems to have people who deal in evidence and I think it's great.

So UOAs support longer time intervals?

Originally Posted By: RandomIn707
I'm at 13 months for the dino and 17 months for the synthetic.

I do care a lot about the vehicles, but don't want to just listen to people saying change at 3000 miles or 6 months, just because they always have.

This board seems to have people who deal in evidence and I think it's great.

So UOAs support longer time intervals?

UOAs and real world cases,I'm on two years with my Craftsman INTEK 18.5 and over a year on the kids sunfire,do it all the time.

In the UOA section theres a 30 year old report showing in a tractor.

I have a few older vehicles. Several of them have not been driven regularly this past year. So, mileage in past year is from around 800 to maybe 1500 - 1800.

Is it necessary to change the oil after a certain time period even if the miles are under what is normally advised?

Can you go past a year? If so, how long? Anyone here done analysis of oil with a long time interval, but not over miles?

I am curious both for dino oil and synthetic.

One is dino, Castrol, good filter.

Other is synthetic.

Thanks

How long an oil lasts in time terms is hard to figure, but modern engines are well sealed in crankcase terms, so I would have thought 2 years is fine. I've read a UOA from a small Truck that did 15 years before an oil change and it was perfectly OK. Some modern hybrids and German made cars are using 2 years as part of their oil service reminder program.

The much bigger issue in engine life terms is not running the engine, as it's bad news not to run any engine at least once a month, as the injector tips corrode and then the rings can get stuck. If the engine has a turbo, then the bearings can also suffer if it is not run. If possible take the car for a good highway run every month, rather than just start it for 5 minutes at idle.

Oddly enough lots of folks are driving around with vey old gearbox oil, just because the manual says not to change it. I change mine every time the cam belt is done.

Last edited:
Great stuff guys (and gals?), thanks for posting.

Would you consider a vehicle from the early 80s or mid to early 90s to be well-sealed enough in crankcase terms?

As far as running something monthly. If you start and idle long enough (30 minutes) is that good? Or does it need a good freeway driving?

Also, if one of the vehicles is carb'd would that change anything?

Usually older carb fit vehicles will exhibit more fuel dilution and oil shear because of it so oil should be changed lil more often to remove that.

Great stuff guys (and gals?), thanks for posting.

Would you consider a vehicle from the early 80s or mid to early 90s to be well-sealed enough in crankcase terms?

As far as running something monthly. If you start and idle long enough (30 minutes) is that good? Or does it need a good freeway driving?

The older engines are not as well sealed, but unless you are parked next to the sea, in a rain forrest or an area prone to sand storms 2 years will be fine.
Don't try and warm up at idle because it causes fuel contamination of the oil and carbon deposits in the cylinders. You either run an engine at idle for 5 minutes or drive it at speed for 30 minutes.

If you're not going to drive it I don't recommend starting and let idle, when I put my stuff away it won't be run again till I'm ready to put it into use and that may be 6-10 months... I finally changed oil in my '69 Fairlane this year for the first time in at least four years, but it only sees 300-400 mi per year...

Yes you can go largely by mileage to determine the OCI if you bring the engine oil up to temperature every time you start a vehicle, particularly in the winter months.

The following is a UOA I just posted on a very infrequently driven car of mine. Only 2,250 miles in 17 months and I'm sure i could have doubled the time interval. Additionally the engine is not sealed, in fact it has an open draft-tube for crankcase ventilation, although the car is always garaged

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...484#Post2828484

Originally Posted By: TFB1
If you're not going to drive it I don't recommend starting and let idle, when I put my stuff away it won't be run again till I'm ready to put it into use and that may be 6-10 months... I finally changed oil in my '69 Fairlane this year for the first time in at least four years, but it only sees 300-400 mi per year...

Most engine manufacturers say you should run the engine once a month or carry out the storage service. I've done a few of those for diesels and they involve running the engine before final shutdown on 50% engine oil for a few minutes (Smokey), squirting engine oil through the glow plug holes into each cylinder to oil up the rings and making sure the anti freeze has lots of anti corrosive or using soluble oil and water if there is no risk of freezing. If you store the engine for more than a year, it's worth removing the injectors and storing them in oil. The oil will leak past old rings, so it is worth adding a little oil every year, BUT you have to drain it below the full line and turn the engine over with the glow plugs removed to get the oil out before starting.

I change the oil in my Chryslers every 3 years. (66 300, 66 Newport, 70 Newport) No problems yet, but will be testing one of them this Spring again. My '62 Buick is still changed annually due to condensation and fuel issues as the carb like to flood itself on start-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back