New addition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I ordered a Savage 93R17 (.17 HMR) with a wood stock and left hand action. Floating bull barrel. I added a Nikon 3-9X40 Prostaff scope.

I got a chance to start dialing it in today. At about 50 yards I can get 1/2" groups using Hornady V-Max 17grn rounds. Right now, I'm the limiting factor - I'm pretty unstable and need to practice steadying myself as well as proper breathing. I know it can do better out at 75 and 100 yards.

After the first 50 rounds of the Hornady stuff, I tried Federal 17grn V-Shock. They seemed to group about the same, but the POI was about 1" down and 1" right of the scope's zero for the Hornady ammo.

A real fun gun to shoot and I LOVE the trigger! Well built too. The .17 has quite the crack when you pull the trigger.

After I was done, I set up an apple for the wife to try it out on. Up close and personal at about 50'... She vaporized it! I didn't think that little bee stinger had it in it. We paused for a second and then started laughing as bits of apple came raining down.

I'll get some pictures up in a day or so...

I have a similar Savage (93R17 with synthetic stock) and you are correct: 17 HMR is an absolute hoot and Savage's AccuTrigger is very good, especially for the price-point.

I don't know what happened to 17 HMR. It was very popular shortly after it was introduced. While more expensive, it fixes everything that's wrong with 22 LR and even 22 WMR. Since then, it's fallen off a lot of people's radar.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
I have a similar Savage (93R17 with synthetic stock) and you are correct: 17 HMR is an absolute hoot and Savage's AccuTrigger is very good, especially for the price-point.

I don't know what happened to 17 HMR. It was very popular shortly after it was introduced. While more expensive, it fixes everything that's wrong with 22 LR and even 22 WMR. Since then, it's fallen off a lot of people's radar.

Would you elaborate?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Would you elaborate?

22 LR and 22 WMR have always had ballistics issues. 22 LR is really no comparison. It has the ballistics of artillery compared to the 17 HMR and 22 WMR.

For practical purposes, the 17 HMR and 22 WMR will serve equally well out to 100 yards. Energy is sufficient from both in those ranges to handle most any varmint they may be pointed at.

Past 100 yards, the increased velocity and lighter weight of the 17 HMR keeps it flatter and tends to maintain that energy better than 22 WMR. Also, the ballistic tip on the 17 HMR should, by design, print better groups at any yardage.

Okay, so I'm running a bit late, but here's some pictures from today's shoot.

IMG_0922972x1296_zpsc9686851.jpg

IMG_09251296x972_zps4bdd8e0f.jpg

Looking down range (50yds)
IMG_09241296x972_zpsb51d90fb.jpg

And a picture of my beloved Remington 1911 R1
IMG_09271296x972_zpsa6352d6c.jpg

Daily carry in a holster with a kydex scabbard. It's not that big of a deal to me because it's still in fine mechanical shape, but I think that subsequent holsters will be all leather and/or have a more positive positioning of the sidearm. This particular holster allows a small amount of wiggle (perhaps due to the end of the slide sticking out past the bottom of the holster?) and I think that's giving me the finish wear you're seeing. Retention doesn't seem to be an issue as I can run/jog with it and work in various positions without worrying that it will fall out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back