NAPA synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The case of 0w20 I bought says made by Ashland. Parent company of valvoline.

From what I've read on this board it's an Ashland product similar to Valvoline SynPower with a slightly weaker additive pack. I believe there are some VOA's around on it (do a search for those).

It is essentially Valvoline synpower with a weaker add pack. If you do a search for this you will find multiple posts regarding this topic.

Very good oil. I was hoping they would have it at $3.49 when I bought my last stash. I guess it's still priced well. I will pick up another case. Valvoline(Ashland) products are very good, I have no issue's running it 6,000 due to warranty constraints. I'm pretty sure you could easily get more miles than that.

Originally Posted By: Topo
Very good oil. I was hoping they would have it at $3.49 when I bought my last stash. I guess it's still priced well. I will pick up another case. Valvoline(Ashland) products are very good, I have no issue's running it 6,000 due to warranty constraints. I'm pretty sure you could easily get more miles than that.

Basically,that's what I wanted to know.I just recently sold some items at a friends garage sale and had a few dollars to spend on something automotive wise.I figured @ $3.79 a qt X 6 ($24 w/tax) would be great deal for my next OCI.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
This question gets asked 2x per week ... I didnt like the SM maybe the SN is better(er)

Sorry,I did not know.
28.gif

Is there that much of a difference between SM vs SN?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
NAPA has their store brand synthetic oils on sale for $3.79 a qt.Who makes this oil for NAPA and is it a good/great synthetic oil?

NAPA syn is Synpower light.
Synpower is smooth and quiet in our Forester, but had only 2.0 TBN after only 5K, so I'm not sure I'd like it with an even lighter add pack.
The SN version might be better.
I'm very happy with Maxlife, including a UOA of one run, but I'm not too sure about Synpower.
I'd pass on the NAPA syn.

I say this about Napa Syn. It isn't a long extended drain oil, per say. I have seen many name brand SN Dino's easily go 6,000 miles without a problem, don't see any reason why this oil won't be capable of that. It's true doesn't have that big TBN punch people look for in long drain oils, nor does it have Moly in it. But if it's remotely like Valvoline in Zinc Technology and Sodium Add Pack, it should be quite good enough for mid level oil changes on most applications(7500 or Less). I probably would do a U.O.A. if I went to much pass 6,000 just for more scientific proof and ease of mind. I will do a U.O.A on my 2nd run for more accuracy, as I just switched to this on my latest oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
NAPA is fine for 6K service in a maintained, non-abused engine.

+1

Only if you ignore the TBN depletion seen in UOAs of the more heavily additized Synpower, including mine.
Sorry, but in the Forester, known to be easy on oil and certainly not abused by my wife, Synpower would not be a 6K oil, although some might say that TBN of 2 after 5K is just fine for further use.
I wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
NAPA is fine for 6K service in a maintained, non-abused engine.

+1

Only if you ignore the TBN depletion seen in UOAs of the more heavily additized Synpower, including mine.
Sorry, but in the Forester, known to be easy on oil and certainly not abused by my wife, Synpower would not be a 6K oil, although some might say that TBN of 2 after 5K is just fine for further use.
I wouldn't.

Tbn retention isn't linear. A oil can have a tbn of 2 for a long time.

Tbn retention isn't linear. A oil can have a tbn of 2 for a long time. [/quote]

If I was a betting man I'm sure Valvoline Synpower could easily go 5,000 miles in severe duty category. I'm sure with a TBN of 2 you could go at least couple thousand of miles longer without a problem. You need to perform a lab test to find out. It's easier saying it won't last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back