Automotive vs. ATV/Motorcycle oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to do an oil change on my 2012 Yamaha Grizzly 700. In doing a little research I have found that I can replace my 2.5" long Yamaha oil filter with a 3.25" long automotive oil filter like the Mobil1 M1-110, Bosch 3323, Supertech ST7317 and Pureone PL14610.

Sure would be nice to have the extra surface area for cooling and extra filter capacity.

Any reason why I can't/shouldn't use them?

NO! You absolutely must use a Yamaha oil filter! It costs more and it says Yamaha on it, so it has to be better!
laugh.gif

Ok, maybe not. I've been using ST filters on my Polaris and the wife's Kawasaki since they were new. Only time they had OEM filters was when we brought them home from the dealer. Now that Walmart dropped ST and replaced them with Purolators, that's what they will be getting. Just make sure you have clearance for the longer filter. If not, the ST6607 or Purolator 14612 would be the equivalent to the shorter filter you have now.

The only drawback that I could possibly think of would be different bypass spring pressures.

I would have put this into my original post but I was on my smart phone and my fingers were getting tired.

I've been using the ST up until WM discontinued them. So now I'm sold on P1's. Never an issue. I'm a huge fan of Rotella T6 but last OCI, Amsoil 10-40 went in. Waiting to see if it's worth the extra $$$.

The only thing I don't like on the Purolator filters is the thin can. On my cars and truck, they are tucked up out of the way, so I do not worry about it. On an atv application, I would favor the thick can Wix. I guess it depends how well your specific atv protects the filter.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
The only drawback that I could possibly think of would be different bypass spring pressures.

+1 - particularly if there is a bypass in the engine block versus the filter itself.

This is a warning posted on the Purolator website...

What About PureONE
If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

I will probably go with their ML filter on my kodiak if they have one. Otherwise I'll spend a couple extra dollars on a filter designed for my atv. It's cheap insurance

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I am getting ready to do an oil change on my 2012 Yamaha Grizzly 700. In doing a little research I have found that I can replace my 2.5" long Yamaha oil filter with a 3.25" long automotive oil filter like the Mobil1 M1-110, Bosch 3323, Supertech ST7317 and Pureone PL14610.

Sure would be nice to have the extra surface area for cooling and extra filter capacity.

Any reason why I can't/shouldn't use them?

Make sure the by pass is the same and the media isn't too efficient which may overwork the oil pump.
When not using oem parts its smart to make sure that the flow rates,by-pass settings etc are the same,or close to same to avoid potential problems.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
I use napa proselect for my sportsman 500

I use a fram 7317 or equivalent on my Polaris sportsman 500. Same filter as my wife's Honda Odyssey. Kind of handy actually from a stockpiling perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back