Cool items found while out in the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guy's ever find cool tools or other objects while out hiking or hunting in the woods?

4_wrench_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have found all kinds of metal objects. Especially horseshoes. Old stove parts are common.

I saw another guy find a modern revolver in a streambed. Like it fell out of a canoe or something. Rusted but fixable. Looked like a .357 mag.

I always like finding these specimans.

4_petrified_wood_1_1.jpg

Last edited:
When I was a kid (about 1956)my cousin and I found two 22 rifles in the attic of an old, falling in house in the country in Missouri. This place was abandoned for years. My cousin has both rifles today.

Originally Posted By: tig1
When I was a kid (about 1956)my cousin and I found two 22 rifles in the attic of an old, falling in house in the country in Missouri. This place was abandoned for years. My cousin has both rifles today.

That's a great find!

Bunch of bottle dumps in the woods uphill from me. A spring-only stream washes junk down. Mostly glass but also I got this cast iron spout thing that could have been for maple sap. It crumbled when I looked at it wrong.

I don't find much around here.
frown.gif
This area is relativly new. Didn't really get "discovered" until the 1880's and that was just a handfull of people. In the 1950's the govt Started giving away homestead land. They would give you a 5 acre lot if you built a house on it.

So where some places on the East coast have had people leaving and losing things since 1492 this area has only had people for 120 years and those people were scattered around. Not including the Native Americans but they did not normally have tools and such made from metal.

I've found a few things such as a square nail, old soldered cans or a piece of barbed wire but thats about it.

It never stops to amaze how people have been everywhere here. I reicently was about 30 miles off a main road, walking up a trailless canyon with a metal detector and I found a 2002 Nickle and a couple .22 shells.

Some hunter was waaaayyy out where I was after 2002, reached into his pocket to grab more bullits and dropped a nickle. So me finding something really neet is going to be pretty unlikely.

Back in the 80s when I was in the Boy Scouts, we went camping one weekend and while out in the woods we came across an old mining shack that looked like it was abandoned in the late 1800s. Inside was an old safe. It was rusted through and there was nothing in it. But there were sections where the paint and gold pin striping were still in decent shape and the tumbler still rotated.

when i was a kid, we knew some folks who lived on some channels surrounding a lake near here. one winter we were down there, dad was out ice fishing, and i just spent a couple hrs out exploring the frozen channels. only things i found were a few empty shotgun shells, and a ball-pein hammer which is still in the garage today.

I guess lacking the proper tools, someone was just trying to beat a hole in the ice...

i found a Big empty turtle shell in my fence way back in my woods this summer.. Honestly its kind of depressing.. you know the turtle tried getting through this big hole in the fence and got stuck.. well, i found a empty shell..

My dad, granddad and uncle tore down an old barn when I was a kid. Up in the loft, I found two wooden wheels from a Maxwell car. They appeared to be unused and new. I still have them.
I also collected pop bottles as a kid that I'd find walking through the woods. I've found a few bottles from my home-town bottling works. I've seen identical ones on ebay go for $150+, along with the wooden cases from the same bottler.

I found and saw quite a few things in NC.

In Chapel Hill when they cleared a wooded area for an office building development, a bunch of 1920s and 1930s Fords were pulled out of the woods. There were about 10 of them. They did set the cars aside on a paved lot for a little while, but I am not sure what happened to them after that. I hope a collector got them and they weren't just scrapped. This was around 1997/1998.

Around the same time there were a bunch of old military trucks from the 1940s-1970s rotting on the roadside in Deep Gap, NC. They were eventually removed...hopefully by enthusiasts, but probably scrapped.

In high school one of my friends and I found some old car engines someone dumped in the woods. They looked to be from the 1950s or 1960s.

In 2010 I found a wrecked 1960s Plymouth Belvedere in the woods behind a recently built subdivision. It didn't have an inspection sticker in the windshield and was surrounded by trees, so it had been there a while. I also found some old truck tires and wheels that looked to be from the 1930s. This was in Charlotte.

Hiking out in the backwoods in Colorado me and a friend came across an old Ford truck. I am guessing early 40's or so. It was fairly complete but neither one of us could figure out how it got there because we were a very long ways from any roads and it was a rugged area anyway. Finding out in the middle of nowhere is always fun and interesting.

P_00004.jpg

This 1800's whistle crossing sign is not far from our house. The line was built in the mid 1800's, abandon in the 1950's and the rails were removed in the 1980's. This sign, along with some mile markers, still stand.

^ We have a "rail trail" here where passenger service ceased in the 1950s and freight in the 1980 ish era. Still has short little telegraph poles and some wire, and original glass insulators. Apparently people like to steal said insulators for collecting.

Walking old rails is a great way to find cool old stuff, or even currently open businesses that had sidings and a rail presence 100 years back and the town still zones them "industrial".

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: tig1

That's a great find!

It was. The rifles were old and pitted but stil fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back