Finally changed the oil on my R1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to changing the oil on my Yamaha R1. The oil has 5193 miles on it. It was 10w40 and I replaced it with 10w30 for the winter. I'm planning on doing a uoa on the oil that came out. I'm waiting on the uoa kit to arrive from blackstone labs.

Id love to see the results of that.. is this street or street and track ? what the general use on the bike ?

I would never leave a 10w40 dino in a bike with a shared sump for more than 3k. 10w40 tends to shear quite a bit. Unless you`re running synth, you might find you over extended the OCI.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I don't think you should use a 10/30 oil in a R1. It might not be to good for a wet clutch.

well i agree, but before this guy gets flamed maybee he can explain why 10-30 was his choice for winter oil. He may have a valid reason.

WE get down to the mid 20's here in Sacramento and up above 100 in the Summer, I run the same oil year round-5w/40. I ride year round and I really like the 5/40 oil and so does my bike.

thats what i do to. The OP may have a good excuse though like he had extra 10-30 sitting around and its going to be nothing more than storage oil and dumped int he spreing etc.. i dunno.. im just saying before we all flame the guy lets hear what he has to say.

Last edited:
The R1 manual says 10w30 is okay up to around 80 degrees, but I would be worried about it shearing down to a 20 weight in short order. I don't see any reason to do it outside you had some laying around versus a 10w40.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Well if he is in Texas I do not think it gets cold enough to switch to 10w30.

parts of texas get really darn cold (ie panhandle) and other parts never see 40 except as a rarity (brownsville).

in some cases i'd rather run a good 10w30 than a poor 10w40!
heck, for the most part i would rather run 0w30 GC than almost all of the 10w40s i've tested!!!

Whether a 10w30 stays in grade or a 10w40 degrades to a 30weight, doesnt matter they both are now the same grade, and both the same. Its just that you started off with a Higher fim strength in the beginning.

Sounds like this was the first oil change in the bike, thats alot of miles for a high performance motor, I generally only go a few hundered miles on a break in.

My only beef with 30 weights in mc motors, is 30 weights dont supply a strong enough cam lobe wear film if turning alot of RPM, This was my lesson running oils in the 30 weight range. Car motors only turn 30% of the rpm, so 10w30 is less an issue in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back