substitute for charcoal lighter fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wanted to soak 1 or 2 briquets in gas and place them at the bottom of the pile to start the flame.I never bbq,though.

Chimney starter. Never buy lighter fluid again.

c19381ba-c38f-4287-86fa-6f40fbf71263_300.jpg

Last edited:
Dont use gas or diesel.Those lawsuits are what put US manufacturer Blitz gas can company under...

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
Originally Posted By: WANG

The Winner!

This. Exactly.

Even the odorless kind of lighter fluid will taint the food with a chemical flavor.

You can get a basic charcoal chimney for $8 and it never runs out.

you want something flammable not explosive.

Coleman is aka "White gas" which is unleaded gasoline without additives, about 50 octane. This will go boom in your face.

Alcohol if you can get it cheap will work great, cooler flame and less flavor in the food. One big point of BBQ fluid is it doesn't stink much.

+1 on the chimney. Can make one from an old coffee can.

paint thinner , acetone ,pocket lighter fluid , white gas ,
an electric element made for this.

i go to estate/ garage sales and stock up. usually $1 can.

When you could still get big coffee cans, I'd just make it into a cylinder by cutting out the bottom and use an electric starter to get a pile of charcoal going.

I used something like this under the charcoal to get it started.

http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-2984810-Electric-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B0001B50BM

Just pick up the starter and the can and set them on the concrete driveway once it was self-sustaining.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
Originally Posted By: WANG

The Winner!

This. Exactly.

Even the odorless kind of lighter fluid will taint the food with a chemical flavor.

You can get a basic charcoal chimney for $8 and it never runs out.

Yes this thing is awesome. Get the actual weber brand one though, its bigger and works better. I got a knock off brand one first that was very frustrating and slow to light the charcoal. The weber one I have now was only about $15 at home depot and works excellent. Highly recommend it!

I've always just used an electric starter. It's a resistive heater. No nasty flavor, works fine.

Coleman fuel will do just fine. It is not really "white gas" anymore. It is naptha, just like lighter fluid. The only thing it has added is a small amount of anti-corrosion additive for the tanks and burners in camping appliances. I have used Coleman fuel in Zippo lighters and as a auto parts cleaning solution for at least 25 years. Wal Mart stopped carrying generic brands, but if you can find a generic camping fuel it's even cheaper and is still naptha.

he chimney starters are great, made one years back from an old coffee can as others have(just cut off the bottom plate w/ can opener, punch a few breather holes around the bottom rim.)
if you have a food service type store(GFS), or a wholesale club(Sams'/Costco/BJ's,etc)canned goods (beans, pudding, etc)can be found in cans big enough to use as well.
just crumple up some newspaper(maybe w/ a little cooking oil) under the coals, light, and when they look nearly ready, just lift the can off.

another cheap and easy fire starting fuel is Dryer lint. store it in a ziplock bag to keep (mostly)dry.
some campers go to the extreme of making little pellets of dryer lint, sawdust/shredded paper, and parafin/candle wax, using either ice cube trays, or egg cartons for the molds.

I usually one of the stovepipe ones shown above. They work great.

Brown paper bags with a tiny bit little olive or veggie oil works as a starting flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back