Just Power Foamed both vehicles, question about results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my car first(2001 saturn SOHC 1.9L) and pumped the whole can in then shut it off for 10 minutes, fired it up and drove around town for about 10 minutes with no adverse effects. It also only smoked while i was spraying the stuff in.

The truck on the other hand is a 2001 tacoma with the 3.4L DOHC, while i sprayed the can in it smoked pretty good. When I fired it back up it would barely stay running and it took a few miles down the road of hard driving before the idle returned and it quit looking like a mosquito truck.

What I'm wondering is why did I have different results like that, does it mean the truck was pretty dirty, or just a difference in engines.

dunno.gif

In my experience you had a lot of PowerFoam pooled in the recesses of the intake manifold and it was adding to the fuel/air ratio. In addition, the O2 sensors take a while to recover from the likes of PowerFoam and SeaFoam type solvents.

I would also change motot oil in 1k miles. These cleaner types release a lot of silicon and other crud.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

I would also change motot oil in 1k miles. These cleaner types release a lot of silicon and other crud.

Washes all the dirt in the manifold through the engine like running no air filter ,imo a bad practice.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:

quote:

Washes all the dirt in the manifold through the engine like running no air filter ,imo a bad practice.

Well, this is on of those opinion deals, I'll prob use power foam every 30-40k miles so I'm not too worried about it. I would be a little hesitant to use it say every 5 or with every oil change like the guys at my local firestone try and sell ya on, their cleaner is just a different product but the same principle.

The stuff being liberated is blowing through the combustion chamber. I doubt that too many residuals are left behind.

It's like your dental cleaning at the denist. You would never subject your teeth and gums to that level of insult on a daily basis ..it would hurt more than help and would be very expensive...but periodic purging of foreign material is necessary when balanced against the potential neg effects of not doing it.

quote:

Originally posted by elwaylite:

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:

quote:

Well, this is on of those opinion deals, I'll prob use power foam every 30-40k miles so I'm not too worried about it. I would be a little hesitant to use it say every 5 or with every oil change like the guys at my local firestone try and sell ya on, their cleaner is just a different product but the same principle.

I guess it just depends how many engines that you have been into when an opinion is formed.

Like I said its an opinion deal, this is what I hate about some of these posts, it always ends up with a comment on how many engines someone has rebuilt and since you havent rebuilt any or don't have as much engine knowledge then you dont know what you are talking about.

I can tell you one thing thats not opinion, i've worked with guys that supposedly had rebuilt/worked on many a motor, and seeing them in action made me realize that the claim(" I've been a mechanic all my life") is a common one and not to be taken too seriously.

quote by Steve S

quote:

If there was a problem with the practice of cleaning the intake chamber of deposits, etc.,
there would be UOA's revealing excess wear and we would have more warnings from those who analyze
oil samples to not perform this maintenance, if my memory serves me, Terry, who frequents BITOG,
has not mentioned this, and likes the results he got using 'Power Foam', he does say to change the oil soon after using this product such as Molakule mentioned above.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Like I said its an opinion deal, this is what I hate about some of these posts, it always ends up with a comment on how many engines someone has rebuilt and since you havent rebuilt any or don't have as much engine knowledge then you dont know what you are talking about.

I can tell you one thing thats not opinion, i've worked with guys that supposedly had rebuilt/worked on many a motor, and seeing them in action made me realize that the claim(" I've been a mechanic all my life") is a common one and not to be taken too seriously.

elwaylite, how many times have we seen or read 'these mechanics who have repaired or rebuilt engines' tell us they wouldn't use synthetics because it is "Too Slippery", or that this oil is "Too thin" for this kind of engine, etc.
grin.gif

Take these opinions you read here with a grain of salt...

Nothing is getting into the engine that has not already goten past the filter in the first place! Occasional use of this product is ok but like every 30,000-50,000 miles. Useing it to freq. would not be a good idea!

The reason that you saw such a difference is also due to engine controls. Toyota has a very strict engine management system and it does not do well when thrown this far off ballance. GM's engine managament systems are much less strict and tend to tolerate this type of off ballance situation much better.

quote:

Originally posted by elwaylite:

I'll second that. My family has been in the auto repair business for over 50 years. I've seen enough "professional" butchers in my life to take ANY claim of "I am/my friend is a mechanic" with grain of salt. The older guys consider vise grips and hand sledges as multi-tools, whereas the younger consider hotrodding to be chip tuning, engine swaps and forced induction. I wouldn't let either group near my car with ten-foot wrench. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back