Rotella T and T3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any differences between T and T3? I have only seen the T3 in 5 gal. buckets and bigger. Any fomulation differences?

I'm not sure what "T" is ... I can find no reference to just "T" in Rotella's line up.

T3 is their fleet oil. Not bad stuff by any means. But it's not as well formulated as the "Triple Protection".

To be honest, I find their marketing strategy a bit goofy.

If they are going to refer to the syn as T6, and the semi-syn as T5, then why have their fleet oil as "T3" and the much more common over-the-counter product as "Triple Protection"? Would it have not made more sense to call it the "T3" and then name the fleet fluid yet something else?

While the T3 is decent oil, it is inferior to the "Triple Protection"; even in their product page they state that the "Triple Protection" shows 22 less Fe wear than the "T3".

They also have a T1 monograde; at least that makes sense to me.

Review their product page and you can read about the diferences.

Last edited:
At this page, they call the current product Rotella T Triple Protection. So, there is a "T" in there.
tp-y-products_752x176.gif

Check this out: http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/

T1, T3, T, T5, and T6

OK- I see where the "T" comes from. It's not the way I think of their line up, but it's my mistake. Again, I think it's silly the way they put the "T Triple Protection" in between the T5 and T3. They should have left the T3 designation for the Triple Protection and then made up some new moniker for the fleet oil. Or, call the Triple Protection "TP". But hey, it's not my company to run ...

In light of that, my comments stand as before.

The T3 is the fleet oil, and the T is the Triple Protection and is of a higher capability. I'm sure there is a formulation difference, or they would not point out the "better" capability of wear reduction of the "T" over the "T3" in their marketing info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Or, call the Triple Protection "TP".

That would be a terrible name! What do people do with TP?

They used to have a product just called "Rotella T" though. We used it occasionally on farm equipment, although we usually used Esso products. My uncle happened to be a Shell distributor and we got it from him. This was before the T3, T5, and other similar designations.

The label would just say "Rotella T" with the Shell logo. It came primarily in straight grades and 15w-40. I remember that explicitly, since it was the time I did an oil change in a JD garden tractor at the farm. The straight 30 and API specifications of the Rotella T we had on hand met the manual requirements for the tractor. I remember almost getting my hide tanned until I showed my dad the manual. His disdain for straight grades and thick grades, even back in the late 1970s, would have made CATERHAM proud.

The label was something like the picture posted above. Of course, there was no reference to "Triple Protection" or any numerical 3 or 5 designation and the oil came in cans, not jugs.

thanks for the reply's. i have been able to get a couple of 5 gallon buckets of T3 15/40 for FREE. i am on my 2nd sump load in my 7.3l PS. i change at 5k or less, never over. i haven't bothered with UOA's. it seems to consume less oil with Rotella T or T3 than other 15/40's i have used. Depending on how many loaded miles i drive it has never burnt more than 1 1/2 qts. in 5k miles. i would bet T3 should be good for my oil change intervals??

I would think you'll be fine with T3, if your OCIs are never over 5k miles.

But, since you got the oil for FREE, why not do a UOA at one of those 5k mile OCIs and see how things are going? You could skip TBN as you won't have need for that info at 5k miles.

OK- I see where the "T" comes from. It's not the way I think of their line up, but it's my mistake. Again, I think it's silly the way they put the "T Triple Protection" in between the T5 and T3. They should have left the T3 designation for the Triple Protection and then made up some new moniker for the fleet oil. Or, call the Triple Protection "TP". But hey, it's not my company to run ...

In light of that, my comments stand as before.

The T3 is the fleet oil, and the T is the Triple Protection and is of a higher capability. I'm sure there is a formulation difference, or they would not point out the "better" capability of wear reduction of the "T" over the "T3" in their marketing info.

BJ's had a instant $3 manf. discount on the 3 pack case of Rotella Triple Protection ($32 per case), so I picked up a case, along with couple cases (6q/case) of their FSFS 5W-30 which had a $9 rebate per case, and it worked out to about $18 per case.

I have read other threads that Shell uses simillar base stocks for most of their products (or at least shares their base stocks across their product range). Was wondering if mixing the Rotella T 15W-40, with the FSFS 5W-30 at a 50/50% mixture, would equal something simillar to their T5 10W-30 synblend. Would that mixture be Ok to use in my 240D during winter months, or not because the FSFS is not designed for diesel engines.

Last edited:
UOA posted....11-3-12

I would think you'll be fine with T3, if your OCIs are never over 5k miles.

But, since you got the oil for FREE, why not do a UOA at one of those 5k mile OCIs and see how things are going? You could skip TBN as you won't have need for that info at 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: Oub
hi Team
i've just read msds :
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00051969.PDF
you can read :
Blend of polyolefins and additives.
Highly refined mineral oil.
The highly refined mineral oil contains w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346
I thought Gr4
frown.gif

Thanks

I think the mineral oil is there as an additive diluent in small amounts