Replacing resonators with Glasspacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
In place of catalytic converters, I have resonators on my Grand Marquis:

426671_10152235113390355_1295750431_n.jpg

I'm replacing them a straight piece of good quality pipe this time for better flow, but was wondering if Glasspacks like the Cherry Bomb 87521 would work just as well. Not touching the mufflers, so I'm not concerned about a louder exhaust. Thanks!

How much more flow are you expecting, having already swapped out the cats? I can't imagine much more gain by going to straight pipes.

I'm guessing (just guessing) that Ford put those resonators in there at the location where cats would otherwise be so as to maintain the existing tune and keep good power at low revs. If you like that low end, the glass packs would be the way to go, but if you want more up top go straight. It won't make all that much of a difference anyway. Either way make sure your tuner knows what you did.

Edit:
If I had your wallet, I'd see if you can do the glasspacks but move them just a little forward.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
How much more flow are you expecting, having already swapped out the cats? I can't imagine much more gain by going to straight pipes.

They were shipped from the factory that way, with resonators instead of cats.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

They were shipped from the factory that way, with resonators instead of cats.

Gotcha, interesting. So, you want to swap out for performance or to improve sound quality? I guess my main question, if the answer is 'for performance,' is how much of a gain their is, since I wouldn't think the resonators would be all too restrictive.

Most of those resonators are completely unrestricted. They are often "straight through" with a mildly perforated pipe. The goal is not to create any restriction, but to mellow the sound a bit, in much the same way a cat does.

Take a look inside with a mirror or a borescope. You may not need to do anything to it.

Last edited:
I once had a Saab Sonett with a V4. I put just glasspacks on it and it sounded like a tractor. I then put in an additional glasspack in each exhaust as a resonator. Sounded sweet.

if you get two resonators different lengths, there will be far less drone. Mustang cobras had two different mufflers, it wasn't just for L and R fitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back