Using Liqui Moly Ceratec in Manual Gearbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
An application specific Manual Transmission fluid like Synchromax, Pennzoil Synchromesh, GM MT, Redline MT, Amsoil MT, etc, has a friction modifier in it to allow proper coefficient of friction for engagement/disengagement.

Moly is a friction modifier than can COMPETE with the friction modifier's in an MT.

Moly won't kill it, but it is not the optimum friction modifier for a Manual Transmission lubricant.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2813713#Post2813713

Interesting read.

But, since I added about 1% ceratec to my transmission oil and things are actually better, I guess it's a better friction modifier than my gear oil (factory recommended gear oil)

Last edited:
If moly is put in a manual trans, an oil change is . not enough to get it all off. There is a very strong bond to the sulfur and moly.

If Ceratec or Moly works in your manual trans, consider yourself very lucky that you have aggressive synchros!

This can't really be recommended - it is a huge chance.

Quote:
But, since I added about 1% ceratec to my transmission oil and things are actually better, I guess it's a better friction modifier than my gear oil (factory recommended gear oil)

I doubt it but if you do a UOA we'll find out.

IHMO, the moly is simply giving you more "slip" at synchro engagement and it may not be the proper coefficient of friction the synchro's really want.

I proved this back in late 1990's when I was developing a better MT for imports such as the Nissan Frontier and for racing tranny's. Moly levels above 80ppm was causing terrible stick slip and shudder right before final enagement and the copper levels in UOA's showed increased copper shedding. I did have some moly in my earlier 75W90 MT lubes but that was for the benefit of the gearing and bearings, not for the synchro's.

Last edited:
Quote:

IHMO, the moly is simply giving you more "slip" at synchro engagement and it may not be the proper coefficient of friction the synchro's really want.

I proved this back in late 1990's when I was developing a better MT for imports such as the Nissan Frontier and for racing tranny's. Moly levels above 80ppm was causing terrible stick slip and shudder right before final enagement and the copper levels in UOA's showed increased copper shedding. I did have some moly in my earlier 75W90 MT lubes but that was for the benefit of the gearing and bearings, not for the synchro's.

Is it possible that the diminute quantity of moly i added (1% of ceratec which in itself is not all moly) can be of benefit to the gears and bearings and not harm the synchros at all?

From what I've read, my car requires a GL4+ oil. It has brass synchros, but really needs the additives of a GL5 for proper lubrication from what I've read online. The manufacturer only recommends one oil: ELF NFJ 75W80 http://www.totaloil.com.au/Pages/content/NT0000C9DA.pdf

http://www.totaloil.com.au/Pages/content/NT0000E0F2.pdf

Last edited:
Quote:
It has brass synchros, but really needs the additives of a GL5 for proper lubrication from what I've read online.

TranELF is a GL4 MT so I don't think you're online info can be correct.

The viscosity of the Elf is about the same as a thick ATF.

It has a VII, some calcium, some phosphorous and zinc as antiwear. Base oil not described.

You could probably use Pennzoil Synchromesh.

Last edited:
Quote:

Mola;

ANY chance you will get the business back online, and resume production of your EXCELLENT SF brews (especially the lighter MTFs)??! (PLEASE!?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back