Pennzoil Yellow Bottle Vs. Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im confused on the advantages of Pennzoil Platinum over PYB. They both seem to perform about the same in winter with the same pour point. Summer seems the same as well, I noticed PP has a higher TBN but other than, whats the advantage of using PP? I know whats a Grade II+ conventional and the other is Grade III synthetic (to they're both Dino's one is just refined more)

Last edited:
PP is an excellent oil, especially if you want a thinner 30grade and want to extend your drains some. If you plan on doing 3-5k OCI's I would just use PYB. If you want to go out further I would want the peace of mind of having one of the most proven oils and BITOG favorite.

Thanks for the reply so PP is thinner than PYB? How is that good?

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
PP is synthetic

YB is conventional of course is alot better

Its different, not necessarily better.
dino oils still have their place.

Like mentioned, use the full synth for extended drains.

This is really important to someone who can't change their oil easily, or racks up miles fast.

Synthetic (like PP) does not shear like dino and is not as dependant on VII to maintain viscosity. Therefor it can safely be used for longer OC intervals.

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
Synthetic (like PP) does not shear like dino and is not as dependant on VII to maintain viscosity. Therefor it can safely be used for longer OC intervals.
Nice post, didn't think about the shearing. What does VII mean? Can you explain why the PP shears less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NorrisB
Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
Nice post, didn't think about the shearing. What does VII mean? Can you explain why the PP shears less.

Viscosity improvers. Think of them like a coiled snake when the oil is cold. As the oil warms the coils unravel,maintaining viscosity. Over time these coils are cut,which thins the oil at operating temp(shear).
That's how it was explained to me.
Pp will last longer. I'm using it I'm my hemi,but in the 5w-20 flavor. Engine is quiet with no hemi tick.

VII=Viscosity Index Improvers

The viscosity improvers in the dino oil that help the oil maintain the viscosity consistancy. Synthetics have less VII's or none at all so, syn's tend to shear less by their design...I'm not sure if I said any of that correctly!

Last edited:
I understand the difference between PYB and PP. However, I am one of those who does not understand the difference between Platinum and Ultra. Which one is supposed to be better?

Originally Posted By: Zako2
I understand the difference between PYB and PP. However, I am one of those who does not understand the difference between Platinum and Ultra. Which one is supposed to be better?

According to Pennzoil's website, the ULTRA has superior synthetic base stock and additive & cleaning package, even in comparison the the Platinum.

I don't like to wait long to drain oil so it would be ridiculous for me to buy Platinum. YB is good enough for my use, even though I don't have any.

Im wondering this question as well. I like to change my oil every 5000 miles, weather here ranges from 0F in the winter to 100F in the summer, would I have any advantages of using Pennzoil Platinum over PYB?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NorrisB
Im wondering this question as well. I like to change my oil every 5000 miles, weather here ranges from 0F in the winter to 100F in the summer, would I have any advantages of using Pennzoil Platinum over PYB?

If you insist on that oci then there really isn't any point in using a synthetic. The added cost will gain you nothing.
Why not extend the drain interval? Are you still under warrantee? And on the home page Dnewton has written a very informative article. that includes data on wear rates in relation to oil change intervals. It's a great read and dispels some widely believed oil myths.
Read it if you get some time

I just got a Camry 2.4 that has been given 5w-30 conventional oil all its 100k life living the good life here in south Florida...Like owner1 I'll be putting on 1k miles a month/12k miles a year.

...but I'm going to alternate between PYB (from the dealer that uses bulk PYB), during 5 sunny south Florida winter months (temps 40-85°) and PP during the 7 "summer" months' temps of 70-100°...

In both cases I'm going to use 5w-30...using the synthetic makes sense for a 7 month/7k OCI whereas PYB gets a 4-5k/5 month OCI...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
I just got a Camry 2.4 that has been given 5w-30 conventional oil all its 100k life living the good life here in south Florida...Like owner1 I'll be putting on 1k miles a month/12k miles a year.

...but I'm going to alternate between PYB (from the dealer that uses bulk PYB), during 5 sunny south Florida winter months (temps 40-85°) and PP during the 7 "summer" months' temps of 70-100°...

In both cases I'm going to use 5w-30...using the synthetic makes sense for a 7 month/7k OCI whereas PYB gets a 4-5k/5 month OCI...

Why not just change it with PP on the interval dictated by your owners manual.

Last edited:
a 4k OCI is just fine for conventional oil, at least for in my car...a 4k synthetic OCI is pretty much unnecessary and a waste when a conventional oil has shown to do the job well (and it has in Kitacam, based on performance...@2,500k since the last OC, oil level is at "F" and I'm getting 24-25mpg of city driving with a smooth running engine).

...a conventional oil change (PYB bulk 5w-30) costs $20+ @ Toyoland (and they'll top off fluids once a year, if needed); a syn OC is $60 @ Toyoland, $33 diy...letting Toyo change my oil from syn to dino helps pay for the syn oil change...an economical and reasonable use of materials/resources.

Another option is 4k/3 OCI a year with dino, but I with everyone recommending going synthetic, want to see how Kitacamry responds to synthetic oil...

I should say that I plan to pull the valve cover at MY 1st OC (DIY with PP syn) @ 4k since the dealer PYB-OC to evaluate conditions inside and if there is any gunk/sludge there I WILL use higher deterg. SYN and dino at the same intervals (8k/4k)...

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

Why not just change it with PP on the interval dictated by your owners manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back