My Review of Boeshield T9 Chain Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several yrs ago, I went to a local bike shop to get some chain lube. I'd finally run out of TriFlow spray and wanted a bottle of liquid so I could put it where it only where it was needed.

I spotted the bottle of Boeshield T9, made a note & did some on-line research. Won some rather impressive tests for protecting bare metal in marine environments. When dry it forms a waxy, glossy coating that won't pick up dust and is waterproof. I decided to give it a try.

I wiped off the chain with a rag & some spray I had on hand, maybe LPS1. Then went link-by-link applying a drop to each one, then left it over night to dry. I didn't bother wiping it down or removing any excess.

The next day, the chain was shiny looking and had a light waxy coating on it. Reinstalled and went for a ride. Very easy shifting, much less noise. I haven't used anything else since.

Most riding is around the neighborhood on concrete or around a granite-sand path around a lake. Lots of foot traffic, dust, dirt, pollen, etc. Often dry & dusty. When not riding, the bike is hung from the wheels in the garage where it's plenty dusty with periodic woodworking episodes.

In a couple of years of use, the chain has remained quite clean and dry.

I've also begun to use this stuff to lube everything else. It prevents nuts from sticking & threads from rusting on the mower. I recently used it to lube my table-saw trunions, height & angle adjustment shafts, applied it on the metal table top to prevent rust, used it to lube the fence.

Door hinges inside & outside. Anything I take apart gets cleaned and reassembed with T9.

Recently I put a new roof on my house. All of my hand tools (they were not treated with T9) started showing signs of surface rust because of the salt & sweat from me sweating so much. My leather gloves were soaked, clothing soaked, leather tool bag, etc. Humid nights here in Tx. I became the saltwater producer. I'd leave nails in my pockets and the next day, they'd already be rusting. Same with tools.

When I finished, I cleaned all the tools with a wire brush chucked in the drill press, then used 3M synthetic steel wool to clean where necessary, then applied a drop of T9 and wiped it all over my hammers, chisels, crowbar, nail set, hand plane, pull saw, small pry bar, nail gun, etc. using a finger and let them sit overnight on the bench to dry. The next day there was this shiny, slightly waxy coating on the metal that's still there.

It's important to allow it to first dry when used in dusty environments. It's great for my woodworking machinery due to the sawdust and the fact it's kept in the garage and will rust over time due to the humidity if left unprotected. Previously I've used multiple products for lubrication & rust prevention. T9 does both. I've used a wax stick on my table saw gears and it didn't lube very well, still attracted sawdust and was a pain to apply. White lithium grease was just a mess as well. TriFlow was too thin. LPS 1 & 2 are suitable, but are in spray cans, and I don't care at all for the smell.

Next time I wipe down my firearms, I'll be using T9 as well. Some times I need a spray, with a wand, to put the product where it needs to go and T9 is avail. in a spray fortunately.

But I really like the liquid as most of the time, it just takes one drop and that's it. So a bottle lasts a long time. That is until you start using it on everything else as well!

Thanks for reading.

Working in the past as a bicycle mechanic, I have to say this is the most miserable stuff invented if it's what I am remembering. But it does work well.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Working in the past as a bicycle mechanic, I have to say this is the most miserable stuff invented if it's what I am remembering. But it does work well.

"Most miserable stuff. . . that does work well...IF you remember correctly"??

What kind of reply is that?

Care to elaborate instead of drive-by?

It also works wonderfully for lubricating sunroof tracks. Use it very sparingly, a little dab'll do ya.

Great stuff to have around the house - even the small 4oz aerosol can will last a very long time.

Thanks for the suggestion to use T9 on my bicycle chain. I'd never tried it, as I have a mixture I like. Still, it makes sense. A waxy coating that might not attract dirt.

I just purchased a new chain and cassette. I'll give the T9 a try right away.

I don't like Tri-Flow on bike chains. Makes an awful mess.

I've been using a Motorcycle chain lube (Bel-Ray ultra clean, which is just Zinc without any oil in it) and GT-85 (a light lube sold a bike stores) with excellent results.

But, I will admit, my chains don't seem to last more than about 1000-1500 miles.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

I will elaborate. In the past I sold this product to customers. At later points they brought their bikes in for tune-ups, which included cleaning the bike. IF they actually used the product they purchased, which most said they had been, then it makes a mess if it gets on anything. It would form a film on primarily the chainstays, but basically anywhere they put the stuff that was like trying to remove PAINT to get off the bike.

Again and as you mentioned, the performance of the product is excellent. BUT, it makes a mess that is a real nightmare to get off - traditional degreasers wouldn't touch the stuff.

Tried white lightning clean ride, another wax lube. I won't use any wax lube again. The wax is so hard to clean off, out of the cassette, sprockets, everywhere.

I have not had an issue with White Lightning being hard to remove. The biggest issue I have with WL is that it barely lasts a ride for me. My drivetrains remain pretty spotless though.

The key for a lot of these chain lubes is that people either never lube, or over-lube. Over lubrication makes a huge mess, doesn't do your drivetrain any favors, and costs money. Add a small amount of oil (I typically add 2 drops to each roller) when the chain first starts chirping, and you'll have a clean drivetrain that lasts a long time. Of course not hammering shifts and cross-chaining goes a long way, as well.

I can typically get 6000-8000 miles out of a chain on the road bike, and 1500-2000 miles on the mountain bike - but I also avoid riding in the wet slop.

And since I did not mention it, thank you for the review of T9. I should mention that a lot of the people I ride with swear by the stuff, I simply don't like it because it's impossible to clean off and I try to keep my bikes immaculate. That's why you are so impressed with its performance though, and it's definitely a two way street.

I used to spray my chain, rear gears, deraileurs, etc. with whatever I had on hand (WD40, LPS, TriFlow, etc) hoping at least some got where it needed to be, but then everything was coated and it wound up on the bike and of course, attracted dirt. That's why I went looking for a bottle this time.

Definitely takes more time to apply it to every-single-link and let it dry first, however the results speak for themselves. Far more effective that way.

The thin film of it on my table saw deck is holding up fine. It's hard to tell there is anything on it. I'm curious how long it will protect the surface. Being a 'hard-to-remove-film' will be a plus for my uses.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

I will elaborate. In the past I sold this product to customers. At later points they brought their bikes in for tune-ups, which included cleaning the bike. IF they actually used the product they purchased, which most said they had been, then it makes a mess if it gets on anything. It would form a film on primarily the chainstays, but basically anywhere they put the stuff that was like trying to remove PAINT to get off the bike.

Again and as you mentioned, the performance of the product is excellent. BUT, it makes a mess that is a real nightmare to get off - traditional degreasers wouldn't touch the stuff.

If applied sparingly, what's the problem? SO long as it is not smeared and splattered all over, and it only dries on the main parts and in the close proximity, what's the issue?

Not that you would necessarily want to, but could it be mechanically removed?

I believe I covered most of your questions in the post, though I'd be happy to explain further if I was unclear.
smile.gif

I was never able to remove it from the bikes that were covered in it. As I mentioned in my first post, the issue was not that the parts themselves were being covered, it was an issue of "collateral damage", so to speak.

It works fine as a lube, as I mentioned, it's just that I felt that there were other lubes out there that lubricate equally well without creating such a mess when it's time to tear down the drivetrain to clean everything.

I believe I covered most of your questions in the post, though I'd be happy to explain further if I was unclear.
smile.gif

I was never able to remove it from the bikes that were covered in it. As I mentioned in my first post, the issue was not that the parts themselves were being covered, it was an issue of "collateral damage", so to speak.

I guess what I was getting at, if not clearly, was that if it is applied sparingly so it doesnt get on other undesired parts of the bike, does it make a difference in terms of ease of service or repair? If i use it on my chain, and then you go and change my deraileur, does the fact that it is on there make it tougher for you to do an adjustment or repair? Id imagine it is just there. Just a coating. but does that coating somehow impede your ability to work on the bike or parts that it is on?

It does not impede in the ability to do an adjustment in my experience. However, I can't say with any degree of confidence that over extended periods of time the "plating" properties may not cause binding in say, derailleur bushings.

Certainly as I mentioned in previous posts, proper application of any lube is key. Keep in mind I never said that the product was "bad", I just said it's miserable to clean off. In fact, I said "But it does work well".

I personally felt that the issue of it being impossible to remove, even with commercial degreasers could be interpreted as a drawback to the product. It certainly should not slow anyone down in using it, just something to consider.

It's funny, in all the bikes I repaired, very few suffered excesssive wear from a lack of lubrication but worn components from over-lubrication was incredibly common. The worst customers were the ones with dirtbike/motorcycle background as they loved the spray lubes which make an incredible mess and probably do little to actually get into the roller links themselves.

Keep in mind that ANY visible lube on a chain is doing nothing but attracting dirt, and you'll be off to a good start.

Great stuff. First sentence clarified for me, and the rest is sage advice. Thanks.

I have used it - and liked it. I have since learned about Dumonde Tech Lite - which has an almost cult like following. I like it better because after several uses, it builds up a long lasting, quiet coat of protection.

I bought a big spray can of T9 last year from Amazon specifically for use on guns, some of which would be in storage for awhile, and for my table saw, which due to S TX humidity, can rust in front of your eyes.

Love the stuff. I have started to use it on miscellaneous squeeks on machinery, and around the house, and it do last a long time. As far as a quickie spray on for preventing rust and corrosion, it works even better than the Amsoil chain lube I used before.

Found another interesting use for T9 last night...I have a metal clothes rod above the washer & dryer, to hang up clothes right out of the dryer.

As I slid some out of the way, I noticed the metal hooks were really draging. I put some T9 on a paper towel, moved the coat hangers aside, and wiped down the top only. The towel was black, with shiny bits of metal. After cleaning/lubing the whole rack, the hangers slide very easy now!

Thanks to the advice here, I've been using it on my homemade Ti bicycle. The chain I'm currently running is at the end of it's life and the Boeshield T9 is working well enough. It's cleaner than Triflow, and other oils. And it seems to keep the chain dirt free.

I've had to re-lube the chain twice so far, but I ride every day and often in the rain.

I can't wait to try it on a new chain.

bike_resize02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back