2005 Altima missing coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend has an 05 Nissan Altima that I've been taking care of. I notice that about every 2-3 weeks the coolant resevoir is at the MIN mark or less. I add coolant to bring to max, but it goes down (about a pint) every 2-3 weeks. No leaks noted on garage floor... so, only other thought is it's burning it off. Head gasket? Runs great though, no smoke out exhaust. Any thoughts?

Could be head gasket,could be cracked head.A small leak wouldnt be noticeable to the driveability of the engine,after a while though the cat con and 02 sensors are going to squeal for mercy.Are you sure your oil isnt getting milky too?

I would say its probably just normal.
I every now and then top up my Honda and I'll check the expansion tank say once a month and its usually almost empty. Ive just left it recently and the level has not changed (but almost empty)

I would not worry if there are no other signs.

You sure it's just not weeping somewhere? My Toyota had a weep at the heater control valve. The level would drop at the rate you noted. Never noticed any drops on the driveway.

I'd just do a quick over at all the hoses and connections. Look for any white/green crusting indicating a weep/slow leak. One of those small telescoping plumbers mirrors is really handy.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

A pint every 2-3 weeks normal? I don't know, that's a lot to go missing in a relatively short period of time.

To the OP, do you change her oil? If so, maybe keep topping it off and take an oil sample at the next change and send it in for an analysis. It's a relatively cheap way to confirm that it's not getting into the oil and go from there.

Hi,
I am the tech manager at Prestone. You can get a coolant pressure tester to borrow from autozone or advance, orielly's, they all have tool loaner programs. pressurize the system in your driveway and then look for leaks. Or, if you do not want to do that, Prestone has some pretty good leak sealers that can be added to the coolant. Just dont go overboard. If one bottle doesnt fix it, it needs further investigation. If you have further questions, I can be reached directly at [email protected]

I have had the same issue, I believe mine was caused by extremely small cracks in the headgasket (mine only occurred when temp went below 32 degrees)and these cracks open up in the cold overnight air and suck coolant into the cylinders. I had no leaks either but would have to add coolant all winter (no coolant in oil either or oil in coolant). Stop leak did solve the problem for a few years then coolant changes etc and had to do it over again. With the age of the Altima it could be a similar issue. Try the stop leak once, nothing to lose and see what happens and observe when it happens, temp, type of driving etc.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: SLCraig

A pint every 2-3 weeks normal? I don't know, that's a lot to go missing in a relatively short period of time.

Yes, I still say normal.
If you fill it to the point where when it expands and purges out some coolant, it will eventually settle at a level that it wants to be at. As I said with my car, when I add coolant to the full cold line, it drops drastically in a week or 2 to the point where it levels off. Now I don't bother adding coolant anymore because it will just end up purging it off.

Just monitor it at a low level on your expansion tank and it will probably not drop past it, or if so, at a much lower rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back