Mazda 3 ATF Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought a used Madza 3 2008 1.6 with automatic four transmission running 65,000 KM, I have been informed by my mechanic that ATF needs to be changed as well as transmission oil filter.
I couldn't find MV Type M5 oil and I have been informed that Toyota T-IV will work just fine, so I am wondering if this correct and it will not cause any troubles in shifting or the transmission. Need your advice.

Hi and
welcome2.gif

You should definitely flush the fluid, if it wasn't done so before, as a good preventive maintenance, however I would not touch the filter, not at that mileage. My Mazda 2.0L is at over 160,000 KM and I have never changed the filter, just done two full ATF exchanges and some partial drain and fills. Car shifts the same as when I bought it brand new. But since you have a different engine combo, you may have a different transmission, so I would do further research regarding the filter in there.

As for the ATF type, these transmissions don't seem to be picky and work well with pretty much most multi vehicle ATF's. I would not use Toyota, Honda or any other model specific ATF in that car though.

I used Castrol Import ATF with excellent results and my current fill is Petro Canada Multi Vehicle ATF that has over 60k KM on it and is in very good shape. I plan on taking this ATF to 100k KM mark. I hear that several people on BITOG also have good experience with MaxLife ATF.

Originally Posted By: khalednabil
I brought a used Madza 3 2008 1.6 with automatic four transmission running 65,000 KM, I have been informed by my mechanic that ATF needs to be changed as well as transmission oil filter.
I couldn't find MV Type M5 oil and I have been informed that Toyota T-IV will work just fine, so I am wondering if this correct and it will not cause any troubles in shifting or the transmission. Need your advice.

Read this. seems that most guys are using synthetic mercon v without issues. Mazda fluid is not ideal.Best friend is a senior Mazda tech. Used to see lots of burned factory fill.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/atx-transmission-discussion/221840-atf-m-v-versus-alternatives.html

I'm running a 50/50 mix of Valvoline Maxlife and Dex VI (It's what I had). On my wifes Mazda 3 2.0 4 speed auto( 130k miles). I'm due to change it and the magnefine I put on as soon as I feel up to it. I will use 100% Valvoline Maxlife this time since I verified with them that it is indeed recomended for this application. I will say that the New Valvoline Import stuff looks good too.

I would avoid the factory MV fliud like the plague after the rancid condition it was in when I check it and flushed it at 50k miles on my wifes car.

Last edited:
Using Castrol IMV, I have done several D&F's to my daughters '06 Mazda3 2.0L 4spd auto. This tranny shifts as nice as(or better than) any auto tranny in our household.

I can't comment enough on how nice this drivetrain works together between engine/tranny. Very smooth and responsive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: khalednabil

Mazda uses a variety of automatic transmissions in their cars. At least in the Mazda6 line (which we drive), the Mazda-spec Jatco transmissions take Mazda M-V (type M5) ATF, and the Mazda-spec Aisin transmissions take Toyota T-IV ATF; Toyota T-IV is not recommended for use in transmissions for which M-V (type M5) is spec'ed, so your first trip should be to your owner's manual and see what is specified for your vehicle and transmission.

If your owner's manual specifies Mazda M-V (type M5), you have (at least) five choices.
  • Your Mazda dealer's service department; or
  • A Ford dealer, where you ask for Motorcraft FNR5, Motorcraft part no. XT-9-QMM5, which is identical to Mazda M-V (type M5), or
  • Amazon, which sells Motorcraft FNR5, with free shipping, last I looked; or
  • Various sources for Redline D4 multi-vehicle ATF (among those sources: Amazon again); or
  • This website, where you can purchase Schaeffer #204SAT.
We replaced the ATF in our Mazda6 transmission spec'ed for Mazda M-V (type M5) with Redline D4 (plus 10 oz.of LubeGard red top) two months ago, and it runs like new.

Incidentally Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc multi-vehicle ATF used to be, but, after a reformulation, no longer is, recommended s a substitute for Mazda M-V (type M5).

Originally Posted By: GC4lunch

Mazda uses a variety of automatic transmissions in their cars. At least in the Mazda6 line (which we drive), the Mazda-spec Jatco transmissions take Mazda M-V (type M5) ATF, and the Mazda-spec Aisin transmissions take Toyota T-IV ATF; Toyota T-IV is not recommended for use in transmissions for which M-V (type M5) is spec'ed, so your first trip should be to your owner's manual and see what is specified for your vehicle and transmission.

If your owner's manual specifies Mazda M-V (type M5), you have (at least) five choices.
  • Your Mazda dealer's service department; or
  • A Ford dealer, where you ask for Motorcraft FNR5, Motorcraft part no. XT-9-QMM5, which is identical to Mazda M-V (type M5), or
  • Amazon, which sells Motorcraft FNR5, with free shipping, last I looked; or
  • Various sources for Redline D4 multi-vehicle ATF (among those sources: Amazon again); or
  • This website, where you can purchase Schaeffer #204SAT.
We replaced the ATF in our Mazda6 transmission spec'ed for Mazda M-V (type M5) with Redline D4 (plus 10 oz.of LubeGard red top) two months ago, and it runs like new.

Incidentally Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc multi-vehicle ATF used to be, but, after a reformulation, no longer is, recommended s a substitute for Mazda M-V (type M5).

When was the reformulation making Maxlife no longer acceptable for Mazda M-V? I have a letter/email form them stating that it was. I believe the letter is form last year, I will have to check at work.

Edit: Someone else posted the same letter which was emailed to me regarding M-V and Maxlife compatibility.
http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=400055

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3311

When was the reformulation making Maxlife no longer acceptable for Mazda M-V? I have a letter/email form them stating that it was. I believe the letter is form last year, I will have to check at work.

Edit: Someone else posted the same letter which was emailed to me regarding M-V and Maxlife compatibility.
http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=400055

In about 2008, Valvoline reformulated MaxLife by reducing low temperature viscosity, in order to be able to recommend it for Dexron VI applications, which require low viscosity at low temperature. Prior to that, Mazda itself had issued a TSB that clarified that Mazda M-V (Type M5) is different from Mercon V (that is, "M-V" is not an abbreviation for "Mercon V") because the Mazda M-V specification requires a higher low temperature viscosity than the Mercon V specification. In another publication, Valvoline specifically recommends its "regular" (that is, non-MaxLife) Mercon V ATF for Mazda M-V applications, directly in conflict with the Mazda TSB.

Prior to the reformulation of MaxLife, the back label of the MaxLife bottle specifically listed Mazda M-V as a recommended application. At the time of the reformulation, Valvoline affirmatively removed Mazda M-V from the back label of MaxLife DEX/MERC and from the product data sheet and from the MSDS for the product.

Subsequent to that, Thom Smith, a marketing and sales person at Valvoline, not on the engineering side of the company, circulated the "to whom it may concern" letter to which you link. (The earliest version of the letter that I have seen is dated April 2009.) If you read the letter carefully, you will see that its wording is very cagey, slipping back and forth between the verbs "recommended" and "supported" and between a listing of specific applications that Smith does not designate as "recommended" and a general statement of "a broad range of applications."
Quote:
Valvoline recommends MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions. The list below is just a sample of applications where Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF... Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. ... Valvoline has conducted extensive testing and has a long history of successful use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of applications.

I engaged in an extended discussion of this matter with BITOG regular buster, whose opinions definitely are worth considering, a couple of months ago, and the matter was left with us agreeing to disagree. My conclusion was that Mazda knows what is best for the transmissions of Mazdas, and that Valvoline knew at least as much what it was doing when it removed Mazda M-V from the back label of MaxLife DEX/MERC as it did when it had listed Mazda M-V on the back label prior to the Dexron VI reformulation. You can read the back and forth here and come to your own conclusion.

In about 2008, Valvoline reformulated MaxLife by reducing low temperature viscosity, in order to be able to recommend it for Dexron VI applications, which require low viscosity at low temperature. Prior to that, Mazda itself had issued a TSB that clarified that Mazda M-V (Type M5) is different from Mercon V (that is, "M-V" is not an abbreviation for "Mercon V") because the Mazda M-V specification requires a higher low temperature viscosity than the Mercon V specification.

What this tells me is that Valvoline improved the formula in 2008 (better flow at low temps). But, I really doubt that M-V requires a higher low-temp viscosity, more likely it allows for it.

ie, you can use a cheaper (lower VI) fluid that is 'too thick' at low-temps for some applications.

The requirements for an ATFs minimum viscosity are always at the maximum temperature to provide a safety margin. The maximum allowable viscosity is at a low/minimum temperature to make sure that some flow is possible without (excess) cavitation or damage. Keeping viscosity below this rating is always desired.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: martinq

What this tells me is that Valvoline improved the formula in 2008 (better flow at low temps). But, I really doubt that M-V requires a higher low-temp viscosity, more likely it allows for it.

ie, you can use a cheaper (lower VI) fluid that is 'too thick' at low-temps for some applications.

The requirements for an ATFs minimum viscosity are always at the maximum temperature to provide a safety margin. The maximum allowable viscosity is at a low/minimum temperature to make sure that some flow is possible without (excess) cavitation or damage. Keeping viscosity below this rating is always desired.

Mazda (apparently) begs to differ:

Quote:
Subject:CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYPE M5) AND MERCON®V AUTO-MATIC TRANSMISSION FLUIDS

Bulletin No: 05-005/08
Last Issued: 4/11/2008

Service Bulletin
Mazda North American OperationsIrvine, CA 92618-2922
MULTI MODEL - CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYPE M5) AND MERCON®V AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUIDS
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2004 - 2008 Mazda3 A/T2006 - 2008 Mazda5 A/T2003 - 2008 Mazda6 A/T2000 - 2008 B-Series A/T2001 - 2006 Tribute A/T2008 Tribute A/T2008 Tribute HEV

DESCRIPTION
Always be sure to use the correct automatic transmission fluid when replacing ATF. Using the wrong ATF may cause shift quality complaints or may even damage the transmission.

NOTE:
•ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCON®V ATF.
•ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER VISCOSITY THAN MERCON®V ATF IN LOW TEMPERATURES.
•ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER ANTI-JUDDER SPECIFICATION THAN MERCON®V ATF.

CAUTION:
•USING ATF OTHER THAN ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DESIGNED TO USE ATF M-V (TYPE M5) MAY CAUSE SHIFT QUALITY COMPLAINTS.
•USING ATF OTHER THAN MERCON®V IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DESIGNED TO USE MERCON®V MAY CAUSE TRANSMISSION DAMAGE.

Bulletin No:
05-005/08
© 2008 Mazda Motor of America, Inc.

Mazda-Service-Bulletin-05-005-08-1928

Mazda (apparently) begs to differ:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a typo. They probably meant that AFT M-V has better flow at low temperatures. I don't think they'd send out an alert outlining how poor their fluid flows when cold.

Really all they're doing is trying to point out that that these are two different fluids and that you should be using theirs (even though the naming sucks).

GC4lunch,
I read the thread containg your discussion wiht Buster. I respect your opion but I would tend to agree with Buster that Maxlife is a more than adequate substitute for M-V. M-V in my experience (first 50k miles of wifes 08 Mazda3, mow 130k) was rancide.

It doesn't matter that Thom Smith is in marketing or not. The letter is from Valvoline, on letterhead and being cirulated by Valvoline in response to customer inqiraries. Valvoline is extremely well respected here as is Maxlife DexMerc. I think your reading to much into it but your certainly entitled to you opinon.

Edit : Sorry for any spelling errors, my IE is givng me fits tonight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back