2001 RX300 battery recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking oil on the Lexus(like a good BITOGER). Noticed acid on top of battery. I had a yellow spray to clean acid. I saw a lot of pink. I have a battery tester with 5 balls. All cells were at 3 balls (50%). Charged the battery last night and tested the same. This is the 3rd battery. The last two started leaking acid and becoming weak at 2 to 3 year mark. This battery is 3 years old, but out of Lexus warranty. Looking at getting a battery at Autozone tomorrow. I like Duralast Gold for myself. They have Duralast Platinum that is absorbed glass mat technology. It seems like a better choice for a car driven a few miles at a time with the heated seats blazing and the automatic headlights staying on. I do a slow charge monthly, especially in winter. This battery lasted an extra year doing that. What battery would you recommend between the two battery choices I listed. I would like to change it out in next few days.

Platinum

Gold

I'd go with the AAP brand silver series. better acid to lead ratio and good deal with coupons right now.

40$ off 110$

Like Rand, I was going to suggest that you consider an AutoCraft Gold or Silver if you have an AAP near you. Using an online coupon code and in-store pick-up, it ends up being a hard deal to beat on a very good battery. Or, if you're a Costco member and they carry the Kirkland Signature in your size, that'd be the way to go.

I have a Costco card somewhere. Never been there and very far away. So Autocraft are better? I just do not have a lot of experience with that brand and it will take more time to get, but sounds like savings is worth the effort.

If you have a costco membership then go with the kirkland battery. I have one that's been in my Camry for 6 years.. no problems

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
So Autocraft are better?

Better, nah. Comparable, I think so.

For what it's worth, here's the Consumer Reports 11/2011 report on batteries your size.

wqu0ba.jpg

(The absence of a Costco Kirkland Signature may indicate that they don't carry one in your size.)

IMHO - you cannot go wrong with Interstate. But if your Interstate get a JCI manufactured battery if you are going to get a flooded battery.

About your battery. make sure the mounting hardware is snug but not tightened with a impact wrench. And the battery clamps should not be twisted on tight, but pushed down and tightened. Maybe a 1" socket on the clamp and a few taps so you are tapping the clamp not post.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I'd go with the AAP brand silver series. better acid to lead ratio and good deal with coupons right now.

40$ off 110$

+1

I tallied the votes. Looks like AAP battery wins. But then I will be right by Wal-Mart tomorrow. Decisions, decisions...

AAP: use coupon pickup instore and $20 rebate on Gold batteries until 12/30

Originally Posted By: dmark
AAP: use coupon pickup instore and $20 rebate on Gold batteries until 12/30

Are you saying there is a coupon in the store you pick-up? I have a $20 off coupon mailed to me I could use plus $20.00 rebate. Thanks for the heads up on the rebate and coupon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish
I'm using an Everstart Maxx battery from Walmart. Work's just fine!

I have an EverStart MAXX in my '04 Altima and it's great!

My wife's RX-300 has a AutoCraft Titanium(a.k.a GOLD today)

My daughters Mazda3 has the AutoCraft GOLD(AAP online code, $62)

After I get the rebate the battery will be right at $62.00. Putting a full charge on it now. It was at about 3/4 charge from Advance.

I felt so bad for Advance I bought some oil and a filter.
grin.gif
I will use any excuse to buy oil and a good filter.

Glad I found this thread, I also need a 24F battery for our Sienna, I used the A124 code for $40 off $110. So that's $55.16 after the $25 MIR. Will be picking one up on the way home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back