Switching from M1 to Mobil Super 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 07 Kia Specta Ex.. I have been running M1 5w20 synthetic OCI = 4k. Would it be safe to switch back to conventional at this point? I purchased Mobil Super 5000 5w20. Suggestions please

Also, you can save a few bux extending the OCI to 5K or more!

I do 6500 on conventional, seems to be perfectly fine IMO.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Just use the M1 longer...like 7 or 8k-problem fixed.

Now I feel like a dumb [censored]. Your right!

Buy the Mobil super and run it 5k. Save even more money. Mobil super is a great oil for the price.

Actually if you use M1 extend your OCI to 10K and the cost will be about the same, yet the product will be superior.

speaking from hearsay and junk i've read i think its just fine to also mix whatever mix of synthetic and dino you want. i have no qualms of filling up a car with leftover quart of this or quart of that as long as its the right amount.

well I don't care what other people say. If you do 60%local, 40% hwy, I will do 3000 miles oci with mobil super 5000. If you do 80% hwy, 5k oci ok. If you do 90% hwy, 6k oci ok.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Buy the Mobil super and run it 5k. Save even more money. Mobil super is a great oil for the price.

Or run the MS5K even further; I am up to over 8K on MS5K--just perform a UOA or two to set the limit and go from there. In my application, the MS5K will likely go close to 10K at some serious savings versus synthetics.

Originally Posted By: awol350
I have a 07 Kia Specta Ex.. I have been running M1 5w20 synthetic OCI = 4k. Would it be safe to switch back to conventional at this point? I purchased Mobil Super 5000 5w20. Suggestions please

If your goal is to save money, switch to Toyota 0W-20 SN.

Dino oils don't maintain their fuel economy over the OCI because of oil degradation. On top of that, Toyota 0W-20 SN has a very high VI, which helps with the cold fuel economy. Not to mention the inherent friction benefits of the synthetic base oil.

In my actual experience, I switched from PYB 5W-20 SN (whic is loaded with moly) to Toyota 0W-20 SN. The difference was like day and night. I will never go back to dino. The engine runs a lot smoother and I am seeing fuel-economy improvements around 5%. That's going to save you a lot of money over the OCI. On top of that, you can have somewhat longer OCIs and you will still be fine.

See if you can get it for under $6 per quart where you live. You might try to negotiate with the dealer and perhaps get a whole case of twelve.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: awol350

If your goal is to save money, switch to Toyota 0W-20 SN.

Dino oils don't maintain their fuel economy over the OCI because of oil degradation. On top of that, Toyota 0W-20 SN has a very high VI, which helps with the cold fuel economy. Not to mention the inherent friction benefits of the synthetic base oil.

In my actual experience, I switched from PYB 5W-20 SN (whic is loaded with moly) to Toyota 0W-20 SN. The difference was like day and night. I will never go back to dino. The engine runs a lot smoother and I am seeing fuel-economy improvements around 5%. That's going to save you a lot of money over the OCI. On top of that, you can have somewhat longer OCIs and you will still be fine.

See if you can get it for under $6 per quart where you live. You might try to negotiate with the dealer and perhaps get a whole case of twelve.

Really a 5% savings? How? Maybe if all you do is short trips. At operating temps they're still both a 20wt even with the high VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back