Worst oil you have put in your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Valvoline. Worst. Never again.

Was this a particular viscosity/type or valvoline, or do you consider all valv~ oil bad?

Personally I've never had any problems with that brand.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I put 5w20 in a tired dodge 3.9 and the oil light kept coming on at idle.
lol.gif

Dedicated to the defenders of ¨thin¨ oils...

Mobil 1. I've put it in several cars that had never consumed oil before and did on Mobil 1. I like how they have so many different grades available and seem to offer a wider range of products compared to some other brands, but if I pay that price I'd like it to stay in the sump.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Mobil 1. I've put it in several cars that had never consumed oil before and did on Mobil 1. I like how they have so many different grades available and seem to offer a wider range of products compared to some other brands, but if I pay that price I'd like it to stay in the sump.

Sounds like I'd stop banging my head on the wall but the pain feels so good..

Trying to get back from Kansas to Michigan. Bought a '65 chevy Impala for 100.00 (it was a p.o.s. but cheaper than a bus ticket) It was using so much oil that I pulled into a truck stop and got 5 gallons of used Diesel oil. Ran out of that and had to get more, prior to making it home. This was in 1975. Now I wonder if the oil filter was even working. RP

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 73 BGT
Trying to get back from Kansas to Michigan. Bought a '65 chevy Impala for 100.00 (it was a p.o.s. but cheaper than a bus ticket) It was using so much oil that I pulled into a truck stop and got 5 gallons of used Diesel oil. Ran out of that and had to get more, prior to making it home. This was in 1975. Now I wonder if the oil filter was even working. RP

Man,the car was only ten years old in 75? Did it have a ton of miles on it or something?

Actually the body was quite nice. 2dr, 3spd on the floor. The whole drive train was shot. I thought the universal(s) would let loose before I got home. Yeah, I know, if I knew then what I know now. (427 4spd has a nice ring to it!) RP

Originally Posted By: 73 BGT
Actually the body was quite nice. 2dr, 3spd on the floor. The whole drive train was shot. I thought the universal(s) would let loose before I got home. Yeah, I know, if I knew then what I know now. (427 4spd has a nice ring to it!) RP

I cant begin to tell you how many times I`v said that to myself.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 04SVT
I know it's a site favorite but pennzoil yellow bottle. Because of what I've personally seen it due to several engines; I won't ever use a pennzoil product again. Absolutely nasty sludge inside the engine. Plus, it cooked off in a friends camaro during a high speed run; it ruined the engine. The camaro had nothing but pennzoil yellow bottle in it for its whole life.

Interesting.
The 4.6L 4V I just bought with 50000kms on it has had nothing but pyb in it since new and when I replaced the valve covers it is absolutely spotless underneath. I guess it's application dependent.
I bought the engine from the original purchaser of the car,I was concerned about his claims of mileage and maintenance because the car itself was totalled and all that's left is the shaker intake and engine. He then provided me service records for the car. It was taken to the great Canadian oil change every 5000kms and fed 5w-20 pyb.
API certified or not,I guess some oils just don't perform as well as others in different engines and perhaps brand does matter.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
API certified or not,I guess some oils just don't perform as well as others in different engines and perhaps brand does matter.

Remember that most of the anecdotes in this thread are from pretty dated oils, back when none of the conventionals were overly stellar, particularly in the 10w-40 variety.

For noise, Mobil Super 5000 5W20, first and only time i put a 5W20 in my car, after that i am sticking to xW30, probably 10W30.

Co-Workers make fun of me for using Valvoline Next Gen, saying it is absolute [censored], due to being recycled, the car loves it but the price point is too high for what you get, i can get mobil super for less.

Future oil changes

Pennzoil Yellow bottle, 5W30 with a Purolator Pure One filter

Mobil Super 5000 10W30, with a Purolator Filter

1972. At my first service station job this older man pulls in with a 1970/1971 (not sure) Dart 318/auto. Engine is making all kinds of noise. Jack says pull valve covers. It looked like a jello mold of valve cover. The gentleman swore by Shell oil.
Long story short, high parafin/wax content. The car never left town, never got warmed up. Cleaned out as much as could, VC's back on, 20wt Gulf oil, cardboard in front of radiator, got it HOT. You should have seen the lumps and [censored] that came out.
So, yes oils back then were not very good at almost everything like they are today.
The gentleman still insisted on using Shell oil.......

I know it's a site favorite but pennzoil yellow bottle. Because of what I've personally seen it due to several engines; I won't ever use a pennzoil product again. Absolutely nasty sludge inside the engine. Plus, it cooked off in a friends camaro during a high speed run; it ruined the engine. The camaro had nothing but pennzoil yellow bottle in it for its whole life.
Years ago PYB was known for sludge. I had a buddy that worked as an automotive machinist. He asked every customer what oil they had been running before he tore into it. He told me he would never run Pennzoil after the things he saw.
PYB is a whole different animal now days and some good stuff.

Not my personal vehicle but put "Conklin" brand oil in my dad's 2000 durango and was running it the 15,000 it claimed to be good for well it ended up coming out clumpy and trashing the motor in a vehicle that was never driven hard and always serviced by the dealer

My first car has full of sludge (literally, the rockers had their own grooves in the black gunk, and 1/2L from nothing on the dipstick to full demonstrated that the crank probably had it's own groove too).

Scraped out as much as I could, and flushed it with kero (filled it and ran it at idle).

Used home brand 20W-40 re-refined (prolly recycled), and it used a litre that week. Changed it again, and it used a litre the next week.

Put XLD in it, and it dropped to about 1L/5,000km.

Worst oil that I had in my truck was castrol Edge SPT 5w-30. Around 2k miles I noticed that my oil pressure gauge was lower than normal. Checked the oil, levels were where they should be. Decided to change the oil & filter and the oil came out like water. Put in Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and same amount of time and miles later, no problems at all. I had QSUD 5w-30 in before the castrol, and I didn't have the problem then. The castrol really sheared
in my engine.

My engine hates Castrol products, but loves SOPUS products. I have some Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 I bought 2 weeks ago I'm going to try when its time for my oil change. But no more Castrol for me.

I hear ya! This is a pic of my explorer at 100k. The first 50k it only ran the dreaded QSGB and the next 50k was with that sludge in a bottle PYB! As you can see its wrecked!
phone8082.jpg

Back on topic.
When I was a kid I drove a wore out 4cylinder fiero. I had to put oil in it every time I stopped for gas. I would put anything in it. Whatever I could get for a buck at the gas station. Some of that 10/30 was as thick as 90 weight and had a green tint to it. I also put a qt of used air compressor oil in it once from work.I never changed the oil either. When I got another car I gave it to a friend of mine free of charge...and was glad to be rid of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back