Thoughts on VW's FSI and TSI Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking at a VW or two lately, and with the newer cars, the 1.8T is gone, and the 2.0T engine is in. I am not sure what the differences are, aside from power, so I was wondering if someone could explain the differences, and which I need to look for.

Actually I think for the 2013 Golf and Jetta the 1.8T (similar to the one that was in the MK4 Golf and Jetta makes a return and will replace the 5 cylinder 2.5L engine. The reasons are mainly for gas mileage, as the 5 cylinder gets poor MPGs.

That being said the 1.8T is a great engine.

The new 1.8 is a very different engine than the old one. Either way, it will replace the 2.5l 5 cylinder. While many pick on the current 2.5, I've had three and find it to be a very good engine overall.

The TSI and FSI engines are fun and efficient, but cleaning valves every 30k made me pick the 2.5 over the 2.0. Sad, but true. The 2.0 is scheduled to be updated in the next couple of years, which should rectify the intake deposit issues.

After what I read here on BITOG about a common problem of VW blaming the customer of abusing the vehicle so that VW does not have to honor any warranty work, I would look at Honda , Mercedes, Nissan, or Ford before thinking about purchasing a new vehicle from VW with a worthless warranty.

Last edited:
The current 2L Turbo has had the EGR system revised so that carbon build up should not be an issue any longer. The new 1.8T will have no carbon issues at all as they have added an upstream injector to periodically wash the valves with fuel.

I always like to take my potential purchases on a extended test drive before I sign any papers for sale.

The last few generations of Golf have EXCELLENT reliability on par with the Japanese competition so you will almost certainly get a good car.

Several people, R56 Minis, MS3 and 6, and other have talked about mounting an extra nozzle or 4, 1 for more power(no upgraded injectors yet), and 2 for cleaner intakes.

It might not be a flaw or anything but..

FSI = timing belt and TSI = Chain.

To me a TSI= FSI+ upgraded problems. So a TSI is the way i would if i could. 2008.5+

For me most FSI MK5 GTi's are about $13-15 pending options and miles. If i was to find a TSI MK5 in the $13k area i would go after it.

VW dealers are horrible, but if you can find a good indy shop it might not be so bad. I would look into where you are going to get it repaired first, then decide if you can live with that setup: not all VW dealers are horrible, but, if online reviews are to be believed, most are.

My local VW guru is apparently closing up shop, and it's enough for me to think about dumping my VW.

I am not too impressed with the TSI engine in my '13 GTI. There is terrible turbo lag below 2k RPM so normal city driving is a little annoying. I haven't done any mods, so stock really isn't fast - my butt dyno has my old Terrain feeling faster. It's zippy, but this is not a "fast" car. The handling and clutch/shifter are great, so it does make it fun to drive.

I had a 2013 CC rental with the TSI and DSG transmission - it was the worst powertrain combo I have ever driven. Between the jerky transmission and turbo lag, it was the most uneven and uncomfortable power delivery I have ever felt.

On my 2007 Eos with the FSI engine, the carbon problems were thought to come from the PCV system not the EGR system. If changing the latter solves the problem that's great news. Watch out for DSG transmission problems regardless of the engine. VW extended the warranty to keep owners happy.

I'm currently driving a GLI with 2.0TFSI. I think it's the same as the 08 GTI you listed above. Except the valve buildup issue, I would say this engine is fantastic. Almost no turbo lag as the new TSI, very efficient also. IMO the car is definitely fun to drive.

don't have much to say about dealer, but I had pretty good luck with the local vw.

Oh, one more possible issue that I've seen in the forums is timing chain/tensioners in the TSI. It's not common though, not like the DV's and carbon buildup in DI engines.

Another issue comes to mind for TSI's, water pump failures seem common. Even after 3/4 years they still fail; it's an electric water pump and I'm not sure if VAG has worked out all the issues...

If you to be an auto mechanic, then you should buy a VW. I have good friend that bought a brand new 2011 Audi A4, at 10k started burning a quart oil every 1k. By 18k it was using a quart every 600 miles. The Audi dealer replaced the engine at 20k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back