Fumoto Drain Valve Installation with Blue Washers

Status
Not open for further replies.
After researching online whether you should use the blue washers it comes with, or crush washers, I decided to go with the blue washers it came with. You can use either washer. You can find success stories with both types.

*Many people use both the blue washer and an additional OEM crush washer to get it to align up at 12 o'clock. I wasn't concerned about it being @ 12 o'clock as it works in any position just fine.

I'll be curious to see if it stays dry with no leaks. I don't see why it should leak at all. If it does leak, I'll switch to the crush washers, but I don't see that happening.

2012-12-02_12-19-57_425.jpg

2012-12-02_12-19-39_917.jpg

2012-12-02_12-19-28_15.jpg

I followed these exact procedures:

Been using that valve for many years on many vehicles and used the blue washer.
Great item.

Loved mine, I used the blue washers as well. No leaks on my Subaru for the five years it was on it.

Also, what's with the cracks on your oil pan near the drain port? That'd bother the [censored] out of me.

Those dont appear to be cracks,but casting flaws.Those usually occur near areas that are very curved and not flat.

This looks like a real HQ part, which has just created a huge potential point of failure for this engine.

Originally Posted By: Colt
Been using that valve for many years on many vehicles and used the blue washer.
Great item.

+1, have installed about a dozen of them (family and extended family) always use the blue washers they come with. No leaks or other issues with these

Just another potential failure point...

While it may seem nice and convenient, I'd rather not go that route because my oil pan is the length of my key (3in) off the ground, and with my 75a poly mounts it very well might vibrate open.

Huge potential point of failure? This is the last thing I'm worried about failing in this car. I've used a Fumoto for well over 200,000 miles of driving, never an issue.

Weak. Like I said, I've had one on for over 220k miles (60k on the Toyota, 162k on the Honda). Never an issue.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: notech47
The valves are virtually failure proof, as long as you install them properly and close them when done. I've used them for about 25 years, no issues.

+1

Originally Posted By: buster
I'll be curious to see if it stays dry with no leaks. I don't see why it should leak at all. If it does leak, I'll switch to the crush washers, but I don't see that happening.

With my Infinit, which uses crush washers, I just used the blue one like you did. There have been no problems whatsoever.

Yep, one on my Toyota is about 18 years old. No leaks, hit a concrete island once with another one and it shaved a bit off of the nipple but never snapped and worked fine after that as well.

Must have installed at least 6 of these over the years and not a one has ever failed me, blue washer that comes with them too

Originally Posted By: Spector
Yep, one on my Toyota is about 18 years old. No leaks, hit a concrete island once with another one and it shaved a bit off of the nipple but never snapped and worked fine after that as well.

Must have installed at least 6 of these over the years and not a one has ever failed me, blue washer that comes with them too

Hey Spector, glad you're still around posting. That's good to know. The one on my Honda was removed a few months ago for the first time in years and reinstalled by the dealer only they used a crush washer. No leaks. You can use either but the one that comes with it is all you need.

It does seem like a quality product, but I agree that it does add a potential point of failure and I won't take that risk.

Add to this...is removing a drain plug really that difficult? With extended drains you may only have to do it a couple times a year and I bet at most you only save 30 seconds in the whole oil change job.

I prefer a magnetic drain plug where I remove it, inspect the magnet, clean and reinstall.

I've always used them because I've found it's easier to just hold a jug right up to the valve, click it open and drain it. It's also good for taking a sample w/o changing all the oil. Definitely not a ground breaking product, but I do like it and think it makes changing oil easier and less messy.

Originally Posted By: buster
I've always used them because I've found it's easier to just hold a jug right up to the valve, click it open and drain it. It's also good for taking a sample w/o changing all the oil. Definitely not a ground breaking product, but I do like it and think it makes changing oil easier and less messy.

Good points about being able to take an oil sample and draining right into a jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back