John Deere Low Viscosity Hy-Gard(Snow plows)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting the snow removal equipment ready this week doing fluid exchanges etc i see now Western wants $7-10 a qt for there oil we have plenty of JD HG on hand low visc. also, anybody see a problem with using this oil i believe the low visc is a ISO 32? I'm thinking it'll work just fine, i want a light weight oil it gets cold here in MI, these Western unimounts are nothing special just a standard hyd pump.

also hows the additives in the HG? anybody know i want pump protectionon also.

JD Hy-gard low visc is nothing special. My local JD dealership's parts dude told me to use the 10 gallons of Kubota UDT fluid I had laying around in place of either type of Hy-gard on our JD equipment.

as long as you dont use generic fluid you are probably fine.

there is a real problem with some of the low quality stuff not being good.. ie TSC brand.

Originally Posted By: Rand

there is a real problem with some of the low quality stuff not being good.. ie TSC brand.

Do you have a source for this comment. I think TSC sells a regular and premium.

The HG is some nice oil i did see a spec sheet on it once but cant find it now plus we have it on hand.

The manuals just say to use western hi perf. fluid or equivalent meeting MIL 5606 witch is an over kill aviation oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Rand

Do you have a source for this comment. I think TSC sells a regular and premium.

I could find one if I cared enough to.
Its been discussed on here.

some of the Universal fluids are junk without the proper additive levels for adequate protection.

Maybe I'll hunt around for the article.

Last edited:
As you know we also use Hygard/Hygard low vis in everything. I am not familiar with the spec you provided, but I'm sure that the low vis will work fine.

I do have the spec sheet here for Hygard low vis and it has a viscosity of 33 CST @40C.
its listed as a direct replacement for all applications recommending hydrostatic fluid, all non automotive ATF applications and a system using 10w motor oil.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
As you know we also use Hygard/Hygard low vis in everything. I am not familiar with the spec you provided, but I'm sure that the low vis will work fine.

I do have the spec sheet here for Hygard low vis and it has a viscosity of 33 CST @40C.
its listed as a direct replacement for all applications recommending hydrostatic fluid, all non automotive ATF applications and a system using 10w motor oil.

Does it list PP?

I think it will work fine. I have cold-weather torque fluid in my old Fisher plow. It works fine and responds well even in zero degree weather.

In my opinion, any torque fluid like Hy-guard will have a better anti-wear additive package than a cheap hydraulic fluid.

Originally Posted By: daman

Does it list PP?

-51f

That should just about cover you!

Originally Posted By: daman

Does it list PP?

-51f

That should just about cover you!

Thanks rd1 do have a sheet with this info you can post cant seem to find one.

Index
· Product information:
- Hy-Gard
- Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard
- Bio Hy-Gard II
· Test results Hy-Gard:
- Gear test
- Slow cool fluidity test
- Wet brake test
- Wet clutch test
· PEMO anti-chatter additive
· Plus-50 II ™ and Hy-Gard Oils Price Comparison Worksheet

Dealers Only
· Oil Publications

Hy-Gard and low-viscosity Hy-Gard transmission and hydraulic oil
Hy-Gard and low-viscosity Hy-Gard transmission and hydraulic oils are unique oils developed by John Deere engineers to meet the exact needs of John Deere machines. Both Hy-Gard fluids are multi-viscosity fluids with high-viscosity index. Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard has an ISO 32 viscosity grade. Hy-Gard viscosity places it between ISO 46 and 68 grades. Hy-Gard may be used in many applications specifying either of these grades. It has the same performance specifications as Hy-Gard and can be used as a replacement for Hy-Gard in cold weather.

Applications
· The exclusive Hy-Gard formula was designed for use in John Deere equipment; however, it can also be used in many non-John Deere transmission and hydraulic systems.
· Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard is used for factory fill in many machines. Consult the machine’s operator’s manual to determine what machines require low-viscosity Hy-Gard. It also is used as a replacement for Hy-Gard in cold weather applications.
· Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard replaces the John Deere All-Weather Hydrostatic Fluid and should be used as a direct replacement for all applications recommending hydrostatic fluid.
· Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard is compatible with hydrostatic fluid and can be added to systems, which contain hydrostatic fluid.

Features and benefits
· Performance-tested both in lab and in field, and approved by John Deere engineers to meet increased demands for performance and protection of transmissions and hydraulic oils.
· A polymeric viscosity improver helps Hy-Gard retain its proper viscosity over a wide range of operating temperatures. For Hy-Gard to work efficiently, it must flow readily through any part of the system. Oil that is too light can cause increased wear; too heavy will cause sluggish operation and lower mechanical efficiency.
· Reduces wet-brake chatter, assures high braking capacity.
· Superior wet-clutch performance smoothes clutch operation.
· High tolerance to water contamination without sludge formation, which could cause filter clogging and hydraulic system malfunction –anti-oxidation capability allows oil to work properly at high temperatures, helping keep transmissions and hydraulic system moving parts clean.
· Provides protection against rust and corrosion, particularly during low-use periods.
· Anti-wear additives keep gear and bearing wear to a minimum – extreme pressure film in Hy-Gard helps prevent metal-to-metal contact.

Functions
Because transmission and hydraulic oil must perform many different tasks at the same time, there is very little margin for error. To understand the complexity of transmission/hydraulic oil, let’s review its functions:
· Prevents wear of high-torque, heavy-loaded gears and bearings.
· Provides wear and corrosion protection for hydraulic pump.
· Provides proper friction for wet brakes to give maximum stopping performance with minimum chatter.
· Provides proper friction for clutches to engage and absorb shock loads without excessive slipping or abrupt shifts.
· Provides proper friction for brakes to ensure low chatter, long life, and high capacity.
· Withstands extreme pressures in hydraulic system without breaking down.
· Prevents the formation of deposits on all internal parts.
· Prevents foam and water damage to all internal parts.
· Hy-Gard oil can be used in most applications calling for 10W-30 or 5W-30 engine oil for transmission and hydraulic oils. Note: Hy-Gard should be used in all applications calling for JDM J20C.
· Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard should be used in all applications calling for JDM J20D.
· Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard and Hy-Gard are compatible with hydrostatic oil and can be added to systems that contain hydrostatic oil.

John Deere does not monitor competitive or “will-fit” oils. While claiming to meet John Deere requirements, it is possible that the competitive or “will-fit” oils do not meet even the minimum performance requirements for John Deere machines, which could result in premature failures. Note: An industry classification for hydraulic/transmission oil does not exist. Each manufacturer establishes a minimum requirement that oils should meet for use in their equipment. John Deere has established a JDM J20 specification for minimum tractor performance hydraulic fluid. John Deere Hy-Gard and John Deere Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard exceed the performance of their JDM-J20 specification counterparts.
The performance requirements for Hy-Gard are higher and many more performance tests are mandatory.

Hy-Gard may be used when the following oils are specified
AGCO Massey Ferguson:
M-1135, M-1141, M1143, M-1139
AGCO White Farm:
Q-1722, Q-1766, Q-1766B, Q-1802, Q-1826
Allis-Chalmers, Deutz-Allis, AGCO-Allis:
Power Fluid 821XL
Case:
MS-1207, MS-1209, MS-1210
Caterpillar:
TO-2
Clark:
MS-68
John Deere:
All Weather Hydrostatic Fluid (JDMJ21A)
Deutz:
Transmission-Hydraulic Fluid
Dresser:
Transmission-Hydraulic Fluid (HMS B806-0002)
Eaton Hydraulics Div:
Hyd. Transmission (Form 3-401-123)
Ford/New Holland:
ESN-M2C41-B, M2C134-D, M2C48-B, M2C48-C, M2C86-C, FNHA-2C-200, FNHA-2C-201
IHC:
B-6
Kubota:
UDT Hydraulic/Transmission Fluid
Oliver:
Type 55
Sundstrand:
Hydrostatic Transmission
Zetor:
OT-H, GL-4
ZF:
Te-ML03E, 06D, 06E

PMB10102
Check the operator’s manual for specific applications. Some applications are restricted in this temperature range.

Note: For commercial and consumer applications, the temperature range for Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard is 40°F (-40°C) to 122°F (50°C).
Check the operator’s manual for specific applications. Some applications are restricted in this temperature range.

Chemical and physical properties: Hy-Gard
Property
Units
ASTM
method
Hy-Gard
Hy-Gard
Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard
Viscosity
mm2/s (cSt)
D-445

40 degrees C

100 degrees C

Pour Point
degrees C

Flash point (min.)
degrees C

Total base no.
mg KOH/g

Viscosity index
-

Tests results: Hy-Gard
Wet brake test
Result: Customers can expect up to 24-percent better brake chatter control using John Deere Hy-Gard Transmission and Hydraulic Oil compared to oils meeting the minimum performance JDM J20 Specification

PMB10099
Competitive oil tested to meet
John Deere’s current JDM J20 specifications.

Hy-Gard has been formulated to ensure wet brakes have high braking capacity with minimum brake chatter. Three elements are considered in the wet brake test:
· Braking capacity – the ability of the brake system to absorb energy – measured in torque.
· Torque variation – the ability of the brake system to maintain smooth frictional operation without vibration or brake chatter.
· Wear – low wear to ensure long life.
Feature:
Hy–Gard Oil is formulated to maximize brake capacity with minimum brake chatter and wear.
Advantage:
This formula provides 24-percent better brake chatter control than competitive oil.
Benefit:
Better brake chatter control provides smooth stopping, reduced damage from vibration, less noise, and longer brake life.
Return to top

Wet clutch test
Result: Customers can expect up to 15-percent better clutch performance (smoother engagement, less
slippage, reduced wear) when using John Deere Hy-Gard Transmission and Hydraulic Oil.

PMB10100

Three elements are compared in the wet clutch test:
· The ability of the clutch to provide smooth engagement under maximum load.
· The ability of the clutch to resist slippage.
· The ability of the clutch to resist wear.
Feature:
Hy–Gard’s friction modifiers provide smooth clutch engagement.
Advantage:
The smooth clutch engagement provides 15-percent better clutch performance than competitive oils.
Benefit:
Better clutch performance provides longer clutch life with reduced maintenance costs. (Hy-Gard allows limited clutch slippage for smooth engagement, which reduces clutch wear and provides long life. Too little clutch slippage results in rough, jerky engagement while too much slippage can cause clutch surfaces to burn or glaze).
Return to top

Oil gear test
Result: Wear on transmission and final drive parts are reduced up to 20-percent with Hy-Gard Transmission and Hydraulic Oil.

PMB10101

The anti-wear extreme pressure additives play a vital role in keeping gear and bearing wear to a minimum. Oil without these additives lacks the qualities to properly lubricate transmission parts.
The JDQ95 spiral bevel/final drive gear test measures a fluid’s ability to prevent destructive wear of gear contact surfaces.
Feature:
Hy–Gard contains superior anti-wear additives.
Advantage:
These additives provide up to 20-percent less gear wear.
Benefit:
Less gear wear extends component life and reduces downtime.
Return to top

PMB10132
John Deere
Hy-Gard
Competitive
oil

Slow cool fluidity test
Hy-Gard and Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard are checked for proper viscosities using the slow-cool fluidity test in addition to the industry standards tests. The slow-cool fluidity test (developed by John Deere engineers and recognized by the oil industry as a valid testing procedure) assures Hy-Gard’s proper viscosity performance, which reduces downtime and lowers the cost of operation. Few competitive hydraulic-transmission oils are tested for this type of low temperature viscosity performance.
Viscosity is one of the most important characteristics of transmission and hydraulic oil. Temperature changes outside and within the system will cause oil to become thicker at low temperatures and thinner at high temperatures. A polymeric viscosity index improver is added to Hy-Gard to help it retain its proper viscosity over a wide range of operating temperatures.
Oil that is too thin can cause increased wear, excessive leakage, loss of pressure, lack of hydraulic control, and lower overall efficiency.
Oil, which is too thick, can cause sluggish operation, lowered mechanical efficiency, and higher power consumption.
Feature:
Hy-Gard contains a polymeric viscosity index improver additive.
Advantage:
This additive assures proper viscosity at all operating temperatures; competitive oils may not contain this additive.
Benefit:
The proper viscosity at all temperatures increases efficiency and decreases wear resulting in lower operating costs and reduced downtime. It also reduces the cost of multiple oil changes of single viscosity oils due to changes in operating temperatures.

PMB10133
John Deere
Hy-Gard
Competitive
oil
Return to top

Order information – Hy-Gard and Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard

Note: Hy-Gard and Plus-50 II can be combined in orders using the bulk oil program. Check with your service depot for program details.

TY26992 – Hy-Gard (275 gal.)
PMB10139

Order information
Part
number

Description

Size
Pkg.
qty.
U.S. and Canada
TY6342
Low viscosity Hy-Gard
5 gal. (18.9 L)
TY22000
Low viscosity Hy-Gard
1 gal. (3.78 L)
TY22035
Low viscosity Hy-Gard
1 qt. (0.95 L)
U.S.
TY6354
Hy-Gard oil
1 gal.
TY22062
Hy-Gard oil
2-1/2 gal.
AR69444
Hy-Gard oil
5 gal.
TY6238
Hy-Gard oil
30 gal.
AR69445
Hy-Gard oil
55 gal.
TY26992*
Hy-Gard oil
275 gal.
TY6344
Low viscosity Hy-Gard
55 gal.
*Truckload orders only
Canada
AR69444
Hy-Gard oil
18.9 L
TY6238
Hy-Gard oil
113 L
AR69445
Hy-Gard oil
208 L.
TY6349
Hy-Gard oil
10 L jug
TY6283
Hy-Gard oil
20 L jug
TY22090
Hy-Gard oil
125 L drum
TY6267
Hy-Gard oil
205 L drum
TY24324
Hy-Gard oil
1100 L
TY22038
Low viscosity Hy-Gard
1 L
TY22086
Low viscosity Hy-Gard
10 L jug
TY6284
Low viscosity Hy-Gard
20 L jug
TY22091
Low viscosity Hy-Gard
125 L drum
TY6274
Low viscosity Hy-Gard
205 L drum
Warranty: 90 days
Return to top

Bio Hy-Gard II hydraulic transmission oil
Bio Hy-Gard II is a biodegradable, lubricant alternative that is safe on the environment and designed to protect the transmissions, final drives, and hydraulic systems of most farm, industrial and grounds-care machines, including those with wet brakes and clutches.
Applications
· Forestry, turf care (golf courses/cemeteries), construction, city services (garbage collection/street services), waterway operations, orchards, farming operations.

Features and benefits
· Formulated with canola oil which allows grass and soil to regenerate quicker after spills or leaks with NO residual effects on the environment, such as contamination to soil and groundwater.
· Canola oil composition reduces friction and wear.
· Improved oxidation resistance allows machines to operate n hotter temperatures.
· Fulfills all JDM J2OC requirements.
· Meets or exceeds performance standards and environmental requirements.
· Cold-start performance: -13o F to 122o F (-25o C to 50o C).
· 100% compatible with petroleum oils.

Environmental requirements
This fluid meets or exceeds the environmental requirements defined by the following tests:
OECD 301b Sturm fast biodegradability = 75%
OECD 202 = EC50 > 100mg/L
CEC L-33-A-93 biodegradability = 94%
WGK rating of 1

Order information – Bio Hy Gard II
Part
number

Description

Size
Pkg.
qty.
U.S. and Canada
TY22043
Bio Hy-Gard II
1 gal.
TY26252
Bio Hy-Gard II
5 gal.
TY22063
Bio Hy-Gard II
55 gal.
Note: Hy-Gard and Plus-50 II can be combined in orders using the bulk oil program. Check with your service depot for program details.
Return to top

PEMO anti-chatter additive
John Deere engineers have determined that some machine component designs require specialized oil to provide maximum performance. PEMO anti-chatter additive has been developed to meet this need.
Applications
It is formulated to be added to John Deere Hy-Gard and should not be used in any other applications without specific instructions.
Note: Service bulletins and DTAC solutions currently address that the following machines may require this additive.

Machine type
Machine model

Tractor
655, 755, 855, 955, 670, 770, 790, 870, 970, 990, 1070, 4500, 4600, 4700
Timberjack Machines
Various

Order information - PEMO
Part
number

Description

Size
Pkg.
qty.
U.S. and Canada
LVU11673
PEMO anti-chatter additive
12 oz.
Return to top

Plus-50 II and Hy-Gard Oils Price Comparison Worksheet
Use this worksheet to complete a competitive market analysis to help convert you from competitive oil to John Deere Plus-50 II and Hy-Gard oils.

Plus-50 II and Hy-Gard Oils Price Comparison Worksheet

Name:

Date:

Address:

Telephone No.

John Deere
Price per gallon
One gallon
55-gallon drum
Bulk
Plus-50 II 15W-40 engine oil

Hy-Gard Transmission fluid

Comments:

Product:
Price per gallon
One gallon
55-gallon drum
Bulk
15W-40 engine oil

Transmission fluid

Comments:

Product:
Price per gallon
One gallon
55-gallon drum
Bulk
15W-40 engine oil

Transmission fluid

Comments:

Product:
Price per gallon
One gallon
55-gallon drum
Bulk
15W-40 engine oil

Transmission fluid

Comments:

I had to be explained on how to copy/paste over the phone, my above post is no small feat. You are more than welcome.

I had to be explained on how to copy/paste over the phone, my above post is no small feat. You are more than welcome.

Now you made me feel bad lol,,,its much appreciated!

I am not trying to make you or anyone else feel bad, its my sub-par computer skills that are bad. That is why my kids are always ready and giggling to help with my computer questions, they just can't fathom growing up without the internet.

Hopefully the info I posted is helpful to you.

I do know that Hygard/Hygard Low Vis is a very good hydraulic fluid, I have even read where guys with automatic transmissions in drag racers use it as its the only fluid they have found that will withstand the abuse.

The most important point on this subject, one that most people don't know, there is no API spec hydraulic fluid. Anyone can put a label on a jug of oil saying it meets a certain spec, with no oversight whatsoever if it does or doesn't.
Brand name fluids are of the utmost importance with hydraulic fluid.

I know I'm just messing with ya,anyway right HG is a quality fluid we use it here in allot of non JD applications Ive seen a VOA of this oil i know its good with a stout additive package compared to others,tomorrow i'll be doing flush and fills with this oil and will be good to go,thanks again rd1
thumbsup2.gif

If I have an oil that exceeds J20C, J14C specs, I can use it in my JD tractors no matter the brand of the lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back