Quality of Bando Drive Belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately, I've been purchasing Bando drive belts from an online suppliers because I've been getting most belts for $10-$15.

I understand that Bando is an OEM supplier to many makes, but of course the OE and aftermarket lines are very often, slightly different.

Does anyone have any experience with the long-term durability of these aftermarket Bando Belts? In the product description it does not mention the construction to be EPDM, which most belts are.

The only reason I'm questioning the quality is because of the absurdly low price that I'm paying for them.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Junk. Look on Rock Auto, sometimes you can get Dayco, Gates or Goodyears for absurdly low on clearance.

Junk - really? Then why are they OEM on many cars?

Never had a problem with them. Any well known major brand is OK - don't overthink this one.

But if you do the belt, do the idler.

Last edited:
I've bought Bando belts recently for my Hyundai and Nissan.

I believe the Bando serpentine belt I bought for the Hyundai did say it was EPDM, if memory serves. It was made in Japan and has been working great.

The belts on the Nissan are old-school V-belts. The Bandos have been working fine.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
I've had bad experiences with Bando aftermarket belts and Goodyear Gatorbacks as a matter of fact.

While you may have had bad experiences, did you do the idler when you did the belt?

If you want the belt (by any manufacturer) to have a half way decent chance of lasting you really should do the idler, and also rotate each item that you can turn by hand to see if they have bad bearings.

I have had bando belts on my corolla almost 100000 miles . no issues. I really like them and O.E.M. Mitsuboshi as replacements.
I have also had good luck with gates serpentine , goodyear gatorbacks as well as motorcraft.

Cleaning grooves, Aligning pulleys, replacing Idlers ,replacing pumps ,or other weak components make belts last. Period.

The belts I have had the most issues with are dayco , and even those last a long time.

Its a belt. if it does not last , there is another issue or you might get a defective one . Not very often.

Bando or Gates were my two go-to belt brands on the Honda. Only changed belts every 100,000 miles. I'm betting other brands are decent these days, too.

Bando is OE to toyota, it's certainly a very high quality belt. I can't attest to the OEM replacement from Bando, since I've only had the belt on for 15k miles in which time of course I haven't had any issues with it.

Quote:
Cleaning grooves, Aligning pulleys, replacing Idlers ,replacing pumps ,or other weak components make belts last. Period.

The belts I have had the most issues with are dayco , and even those last a long time.

Its a belt. if it does not last , there is another issue or you might get a defective one . Not very often.

That is the key element.

I have worked with and sold them before , they are good belts. Most are EPDM construction . Bando belts are a very good belt for the money , use with confidence. I use one currently on the Cherokee in my sig , hasnt blown up yet lol

Originally Posted By: Trav
I never had any problems with them or Gatorbacks, Mitsuboshi, Dayco W, Gates either.
I've got 100K on a Dayco on a Toyota I 4.

Maybe its because BANDO sounds so much like BONDO,that gives the name a bad rep...

Whatever OEM Toyota serpentine belt supplies for my 7th gen celica, it is garbage. In less than 7,000 miles, it will begin to squeal if it is humid outside (even worse in winter). Had experience with three Oem belts and the squeal went away with the Gatorback. OEM, schmome-em.

Originally Posted By: cutter
Whatever OEM Toyota serpentine belt supplies for my 7th gen celica, it is garbage. In less than 7,000 miles, it will begin to squeal if it is humid outside (even worse in winter). Had experience with three Oem belts and the squeal went away with the Gatorback. OEM, schmome-em.

You have a mis - aligned or(wobbly) pulley and gator backs have a cross cut groove that masks the issue.Look carefully next time you are under the hood. That is why i like them.
Belts squeal for a reason and it is not usually the belts fault.
As far as the dayco lasting 100000 miles on a toyota. Toyota's are notoriously easy on belts , especially the 4 bangers.
I should know , i have owned a dozen of them.

I had the factory belt on my 2002 celica for 10 years and 68k. Just replaced with another factory belt this August. If you want i have a brand new gatorback and a new gates poly v in my closet for cheap.

The timing belt on my V6 Galant is a Bando. Multiple trips of 360 miles one way and 33,000 miles later...all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back