SPECTROL MOTOR OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a qt of Spectrol Motor Oil, 5W30 synthetic blend for $2.50. Who really makes this oil ? Is this a good price ?
Thanks in advance for your help !

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I thought spectrol was a high end bike oil - maybe Im thinking Spectral?

Now I remember its Golden Spectro
smile.gif

Digging up an old thread! It seems this stuff has made its way onto Canadian shelves, in a way that I'm not too happy about. First off, it is API/ILSAC rated, and I have seen the PQIA alert from last year.

In any case, it's at a very, very attractive price. The semi-synthetic is cheaper than most conventionals.

On the down side, they displaced a whack of Mobil Super's space at the RCWC where I found it. Mobil Super and M1 have gone up a hair there, with the Spectrol being cheaper than what the Super used to be. On the positive side, at least RCWC brought back Quaker State at a somewhat sensible price, and they're just about giving away Pennzoil DOT 3.

Looking at the data sheets of Spectrol, it appears they have the BP/SOPUS-Formula-Shell disease, where all 5w-30s have exactly the same specs as each other, and the 10w-30s, and so forth.

Although PQI did fault it, it did still make the cut for API.. barely.

O'Reiley's house oil barely makes it more times than not.

If that stuff is availible super cheap, it's certainly a better choice than Bullseye.

We'll keep an eye on it for future tests.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It is a API spec oil that is blended to the bare minimum specs. At least this is what it looks like to me.

Agreed. Could be better, could be lots worse. There are many other products on shelves that are of much greater concern.

By the way, my business (Despite being a computer store) has just been approved to sell stuff from a new wholesaler. Including the dreaded..... US Economy motor oil. Not buying that. Although US Global Petroleum does make on-spec oil, and coolants called "Everest"

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
bottles remind me of...loreal shampoo

They are odd bottles. I was not impressed to see them taking up all that valuable real estate, regardless of price. I'll gladly use SuperTech first. On the other hand, at least they are API approved, so one could make worse choices.

Now I just realized what else they displaced. The store used to have No Name brand oil, and that seems to have disappeared.

I'll bump this old thread.
I was meandering around today after dropping my wife off for an apointment with her internist, and dropped in at a Deals store.
They had Spectrol in 10W-30 and 10W-40.
It was not all that cheap at $3.00/qt.
Neat bottle, though.
If you're looking for a cheap conventional oil, some of the Krogers in this area have GTX at $2.00/qt.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
They had Spectrol in 10W-30 and 10W-40.
It was not all that cheap at $3.00/qt.

Here, it's a touch more, but not a lot. It is kind of marketed weird, though. It's only (at least to my knowledge) readily available at the wholesale club. It's likely destined for certain automotive shops and most likely a lot of convenience stores. I have seen a couple single quarts at one convenience store.

With such limited distribution, you wonder why they bother.
When I saw this oil, which I knew existed, I was tempted, simply because it's always fun to try something different.
The right side of my brain whispered "buy six quarts of the 10W-40 and give it a run in the e36".
The left side replied "wth for? you have three more jugs of FAR Maxlife Nextgen 10W-40 to use and you've found that to be a very good oil for the e36".
If the oil had been $2.00/qt, the right side might have won the argument.
At $3.00, I didn't take any Spectrol home with me.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
A sample of that failed a PQI test recently. IIRC it was marginal for NOACK. I thought spectrol was a high end bike oil - maybe Im thinking Spectral?
Lab test:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/spectrooilnov2010.htm

I dont see a huge problem with it being 1% over NOACK. its not the best oil one could buy for $2.50 a quart. but it would do the job just fine, and is probably great for gas stations and places like that where a lot of the oils aren't even API certified. Id top off with a quart of this if i had too. it certainly isnt a terrible oil looking at the link. it seems to be on par everywhere except the NOACK which wouldn't concern me much.

If you take into consideration many $6-7 quarts of "higher quality" synthetics have a NOACK of 13-15% i think $2.50 for this 16% oil is a decent buy.

If the oil had been $2.00/qt, the right side might have won the argument.
At $3.00, I didn't take any Spectrol home with me.

Exactly. At the same location, the Mobil Super 1000 is only a little more money, and I'd probably stick with that. The only thing that made me look at the Spectrol at all was that it was something I hadn't seen, it had fancy bottles, and it did have synthetic and blends at fairly competitive prices.

But, if they want to make any headway in North America, they're going to have to do better than that, in quality, price, and distribution. As I mentioned, I can imagine a few shops and convenience stores buying it, but they're certainly not going to get any big dealer contracts or a bunch of DIYers buying it, either. Heck, even independent parts stores here sell QSGB for a similar price once in a while.

It is a cool looking bottle and it is something different.
I'm with you though.
If they want to ramp up volume they need to make a serious national marketing effort, with placement in some major retailer.
Maybe Target?
Walmart would likely demand too much for the shelf space, while Target might like to offer something other than XOM oils, although XOM may be paying them for exclusivity.

Walmart would likely demand too much for the shelf space, while Target might like to offer something other than XOM oils, although XOM may be paying them for exclusivity.

Heck, I'm sure they could find some opportunities at something like Target. Our Zellers-soon-to-be-Targets didn't have a great oil selection or prices, so I'm sure something like this could fit in.

After all, it's not some boutique oil at $12 a litre. If they can sell it at RCWC, I'm sure there are other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back