Valve adjustment, 2002 Accord 114,000 miles (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got out there and got it done. Every valve needed adjustment. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done before.

Before
2012-12-01075059.jpg

Valve cover off
2012-12-01081834.jpg

2012-12-01081904.jpg

2012-12-01081927.jpg

2012-12-01081937.jpg

Timing belt looks good
2012-12-01081959.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. What kind of oil was used (at least while you had it - sounds like previous maintenance was unknown...)?

The OCI history is a split between Valvoline quick lube and the Honda dealer up to the point of me buying it.

Right now it has Eneos 0w20.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How do you know when Honda valves need adjustment ?
You do it by mileage or by the sound ?

I've heard everything under the moon. I think the official check is 105,000 miles OR when they become noisy.

Looks great, reminds me of our old 1998 Civic EX (200K miles) when I removed the valve cover.

I asked a Honda mechanic when should I do the valves, he said just by the sound of our warmed up D16Y8 engine they don't need adjustment. I said are you sure ?

He was sure just by the sound it didn't need any adjustments
21.gif
Maybe when you work on Hondas everyday you can go by your ears.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How do you know when Honda valves need adjustment ?
You do it by mileage or by the sound ?

I've heard everything under the moon. I think the official check is 105,000 miles OR when they become noisy.

I think you're right.

Looks good!

That engine looks clean. Is the TB original?
How is the A/T...they were known to be problematic, especially the V6.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Can't go by sound - it may not be clicking and be too tight, could lead to a burnt valve.

Precisely. Those clearance can go BOTH ways.

I go by mileage: every 60K or so, give or take.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Nice job! Were they too tight? What prompted you to do it?

They were noisy. The intake side was too tight and the exhaust side was loose. I may or may not have that backwards.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Throttle body? I assume it's the original...I cleaned it out when I got the car. Wasn't really that dirty.

Yeah I knew about the AT's, mines a 5 speed. Good to be shifting again after several years.

Thanks for sharing.
Those are stout engines, the only thing I don't like about Honda angines of yesteryear is that they are timing belt and that they require valve adjustments. (even mine does, but its timing chain)
Other than that, that engine should last a good long while.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Nice job! Were they too tight? What prompted you to do it?

They were noisy. The intake side was too tight and the exhaust side was loose. I may or may not have that backwards.

Other way, usually the intakes are loose and exhaust are too tight.

You should do the TB, the valve cover must come off to do it anyway. 10 years is already way too long.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Throttle body? I assume it's the original...I cleaned it out when I got the car. Wasn't really that dirty.

Yeah I knew about the AT's, mines a 5 speed. Good to be shifting again after several years.

Actually I meant timing belt. I found the throttle body never got dirty in my 2001 Accord so I rarely cleaned it...on the other hand my Buick's (3.1) had a lot of black carbony goo when I cleaned it and ran noticeably smooter after being cleaned.

Good for you to have a 5 speed....if my 2001 Accord had been a 5 speed I never would have sold it.

Own a Honda Civic 91 Si with 455,601 miles and have never adjusted the valves. Im the original owner. I think its time to adjust the valves....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gito
Own a Honda Civic 91 Si with 455,601 miles and have never adjusted the valves. Im the original owner. I think its time to adjust the valves....

Pictures please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back