Thoughts on Redline oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i've been running 0w-30 Redline oil for a while now. I daily drive my '96 civic and the motor is a k20a2 from an RSX Type-s and sees 8600 rpm almost daily. There was a user on here that mentioned there were better alternatives to Redline. Can anyone clarify? I've always bought boutique oil because k-series motors are "sensitive" to camshafts (don't ask long story. cam pitting issues, chain tensioner issues, rocker issues) and the extra zinc/phosphorus gives me that extra viscosity i assume. PP seems to be very popular on this forum but i'd want an additive such as Torco MPZ or a break-in fluid with each oil change. Should i stick with the Redline or is there a better alternative?

The K series will keep on going even if you put super tech 5w30 in it.

I would probably just use M1 0/5w30 and call it a day.

I wish I had a K-swap civic
frown.gif

0w30 from Red Line is a fantastic oil no doubt about it. I'm sure there are others that are similar or close and maybe a few that are 'better'. In reality though, you're already running 'the best' oil.

If you're concerned about the engine then you should get oil temperature and pressure gauges installed so you can see what's really going on. There's not much else you can do until you know more.

You could also do oil analysis of the old oil during your change and see if you need to run it longer or change it sooner.

Either way, to get 'the best' is going to take some work from you, not just another bottle.

Yes RL is good stuff but they don't carry anything heavier than a light 30wt oil (Yes their 0W-20 is a light 30wt).

Of all their oils their best PCMO offerings are the 0W oils and if the 0W-40 is not heavy enough then blend in some of their 5W-50.

You're in fine shape using Red Line. I had their 5w-50 and Shockproof gear oil in my motorcycle. Everything they make is top notch, and I especially appreciate their excellent customer service and tech support.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
You're in fine shape using Red Line. I had their 5w-50 and Shockproof gear oil in my motorcycle. Everything they make is top notch, and I especially appreciate their excellent customer service and tech support.

+1. I've got shockproof in all my diff's and the tranny of my Harley. Their products are generally overkill in all but the most demanding application. I would use it exclusively if it was even close to being priced reasonably.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to get a UOA on it once the next oil change comes around. Yes i'm also running their 70w80 mtl transmission fluid. Shifts are much less notchy vs. the oem Acura tranny fluid. I was worried about that too, it seems like a 70w80 would be a little too thick for a Honda tranny in the winter time but it feels fine so i'll leave it as is...Torco MTF is sitting on my shelf should i decide to change.

Honestly, Redline and Neo oils must be applauded to sticking with a group 5 oil and make a honest living out of supplying this product whom want a group 5 oil. This ester product is excellent throughout the line of engine, transmission, both manual and automatic, as well as gear oils.....

Your already using a very great oil,
unless you want to spend 10+/qt dont bother, which only helps a lamborghini/ferrari/other expensive cars.

the only other oil that i know is pretty amazing are these
http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=13...CFQmCQgodYWoAkw
http://www.frsport.com/Liqui-Moly-5W-40-...CFQuCQgodgmgAKA

Not sure if they are the best oil for a civic specifically, but theyre're prob only company deserve to use the slogan "liquid engineering".

I figure if German autobahners trust it , you can too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
I think Redline is the best you can get.

The issue, for me, is that most other oil is good enough.

Exactly, this is why I quit using boutique oils.

+1

I will not replenish my stash of Redline since other oils accomplish all I need at considerably less cost. Tom NJ's makes the point well:

"So long as the formulation is fully engine tested and meets the desired specs, no worries.

My question to Tom NJ:

Could I infer that the expense of a Class IV/V base stock versus a Class III/III+ is not necessary if the oil meets the same/desired specs? M1 0W-30 AFE costs $32, RL costs $60 for my Volvo. Maybe the added expense of RL is not necessary in a gently driven NA engine?

Answer: Yes, unless you are racing, driving a heavily modded or high performance engine, driving in extreme cold or heat, or really extending drains, the specifications met are much more important than the base oil type. For an average driver, your engine will not know the difference."

Tom NJ

Redline has served the V70 well in cleaning out the varnish after the dealer bulk dino fills. 3 RL OC's is all that was needed.
Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
I think Redline is the best you can get.

The issue, for me, is that most other oil is good enough.

Exactly, this is why I quit using boutique oils.

I run Redline 75W-90 in the front and rear diffs and transfer case in my 2007 Toyota 4Runner Sport V8. Have run the same and MTL in the manual tranny on my previous Toyota trucks. Excellent performance all around.

I do run Pennzoil 5W-30 Platinum synthetic oil in the engine. The Redline oil is too expensive for 2x a year changes under extended warranty. The Platinum is great oil for the 4Runner V8.

Mobil 0W40 if you drive in the summer / track /hoon it imho.

MPG might take a hit thou.

anyway if your happy with Redline i'd say just stick to it.

Red Line is about the best you can get. But if you want to experiment, TropArtic 5w30 for me was the best overall oil I've tried yet, but I'm still experimenting. I've got a K20a3 engine [same displacement/less power], though. TropArtic is made by ConocoPhillips, which also makes Honda OEM and Motorcraft oils. So I'd give any of those a shot.

Hard to explain why the TropArtic feels so right in this engine. It just feels smoother, and at the same time not sluggish. It could be that it has the perfect viscosity for this engine at this age. Again, this is on a different engine with probably more miles...200K. Your results may vary.

Op. if you want to stick with red line(I would use their products exclusively if cost wasn't a factor) try their 0w-20. As Caterham has already stated its really a 30 grade. You'll find it revs a bit more free and I don't know if fuel consumption is an issue but it will be slightly easier on gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back